Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get teeny-tiny screws

On 12/4/2009 7:02 PM Red Green spake thus:

Red Green wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:4b19c84c$0$27012 :

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know
where to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

Might help to know how many you need? Those cardboard bins they even
have at the BORG have some pretty oddball stuff but can be a quarter
for a screw. No one cares when buying one onesie-twosies.

Assume you don't want brass because it's soft? Would AL be OK? If so,
a glass shop will have some pretty tiny flat head sheet metal screws
used in screen and metal windows.

Oh, another thought is a cabinet shop. Many hinges are fastened with very
short screws.

Not this short. They're not going to have anything smaller than *maybe*
#4. (These screws are from an old wood camera, and I only need less than
a dozen.)

Decided I'm going to get the brass ones after all and just paint the
heads black (camera is black). Strength is no concern here. (The
originals were steel, probably plated but long since rusted.)

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet