Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint matching (am I expecting too much...?)

A while back I had to demo a kitchen cabinet to allow a new fridge to be
moved in... I was in a time crunch and didn't have time to go to a real
paint store that day so I went to That Orange-Colored Store and had them
mix me a quart of paint. I took with me a vent grille that had been
painted over to color match. The guy tried, and even wasted a quart on
his first try when it came out too dark (color is a flat white tinted
slightly blue) second try looked good in the store but when I painted
the wall it ended up slightly more brownish-grey than the rest of the
wall. (I also used almost the whole quart just to cover the area that
was behind one large kitchen cabinet...)

Unfortunately this @#$@#$% color is on about half the walls in my house,
and I have a couple other little areas that I'd like to address
(changing light fixtures in living room and removing mirror over mantel;
repainting ceiling at top of stair landing where it was badly prepped;
painting kitchen ceiling where I demo'd an ugly fluorescent fixture and
never patched/painted the ceiling) but we're not quite ready to repaint
any whole rooms yet. So I would really like to have a couple more
quarts of paint matched to the existing so I can keep doing spot repairs
as I get motivated and not have the house look all ghetto and have
primer spots all over the darn place until whatever room gets a full
repaint.

Today I had a dentist's appt. in the AM so I left early and hit the
closest "real" paint store and brought the same vent grille with me.
They "matched" it while I was visiting with Dr. Hook and I picked up two
quarts (they used Benjamin Moore base.) I just opened one and spread a
little paint on the corner of said vent, it looks like a pure white in
comparison. Not even anywhere near as close as the paint I got from HD.

The few areas I've used the HD paint don't look awful, but it's obvious
that there's a paint mismatch. Is that about the best I can hope for
(in which case I should go back to HD and get a couple more quarts of
the same thing I got last time,) or should I take everything back to the
real paint store and let them try again? I realize you can't see what
I'm working with so you can't really say "that's about as good as it
gets, you're being too picky, just deal until you repaint" or "you can
do better than that, you've just had bad luck with paint guys" (but I
guess that's kind of the feedback I really need)

Not sure if posting pics would help, but if it would, I can take a pic
of the last little spot I did, around the thermostat on the kitchen wall...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Paint is a bitch. Even if you do save those things they put on the top of
paint cans stating exactly how many parts of which color they put in it, you
can have another gallon made down the road, and it comes out looking
different.

This can be for several reasons:

The substrate. Putting it on different things. Different brands of
drywall. Kilz or no Kilz? Primer or no primer? Which primer? How long
has it been there, and how much UV rays from the sun has lightened it? If
it is in a kitchen or bath area, how much oil or steam has changed the
color? Paint looks different after it has soaked into a wall for five years
than that which is a week old.

I have kept those little color things, and gone back later and gotten
EXACTLY the same mix, and painted it on, and it looks different than the
paint on there. Even clothes fade. Car paint jobs fade.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER LOOK AT PAINT UNTIL IT HAS DRIED A WEEK. It takes that
long to get even close to the color it's going to be.

It's not so much a mismatch, as you can get exactly the same paint mixed and
it won't match, it has to do with fading and lots of other factors.

Solutions: Do areas where the mismatching won't be obvious. Repaint the
whole thing from the get go. Change the color scheme so it don't matter.
If you are doing remodeling, prime properly, or Kilz, and then, it may take
two or three coats to get it exactly right. Lower expectations - what you
think is an obvious mismatch won't be noticed by others.

And lastly, consider the ambient light. Lots of paints and colors look
different when viewed at 9 AM versus 2 PM. On a sunny day, or a cloudy day.

HTH, just some things to ponder.

Steve, who knows paint will drive you batty, but only if you let it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 6:28*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Colors can be matched and are every day, you have to demand it and
have it dried out as a large sample like 4x4", not the drop of paint
they usualy try to get away with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:57*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

Define matched. If good enough is good enough, then yeah, matching is
no big deal. If you have a paint and try to match if to a color chip,
computer match it from a sample, use the exact same formula from the
exact same store using the exact same equipment, you're likely to get
three different colors and it's anyone's guess which one will be the
closest.

The whole trick to matching paint is knowing where to hide the
transition and how to hide the transition. With some paints it is
essentially impossible.

To the OP, unless you're made out of money, and have a thing for the
paint store clerk, you may want to try tweaking the paint yourself
with some universal colorant. If you're not good with colors, this
too can be almost impossible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:57 pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I have done color matching in my past. It requires a good eye and good
judgement on what colour is in the original so that it can be put in the new
paint. Too much credit is given to computer color matching. To do it you
have to use expensive equipment that needs calibrating on a regular basis.
The equipment used in the BORG is cheap and most likely NEVER calibrated
once it is installed. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not, usually only a
close match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Matching colors "EXACTLY" is impossible....All the painters I know that buy
a few gallons of color tinted paint , dump the 1 gallon cans into a clean 5
gallon bucket and mix them to eliminate any possibility of differences
between the 1 gallon cans...Even paint mixed at the exact same place and
time will have "slight " differences , let alone trying to match old paint
which is nearly impossible...Close is as good as it gets with trying to
touch up old paint with new paint...It will ALWAYS be noticable......HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:57 pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I've had the same chip scanned multiple times, one right after another,
and it came up with a different formula. I'm not talking about colorant X
of 5.5 vs 5.6. I mean different colorant combos.

If you're not going to mix all your paint together before starting at
least when one gallon is half empty add a half gallon from a new can and
continue. And always shake the can before using. Lately even when I open
cans that were mixed a couple of hours ago you can see separation of
colorants. Must be more new and improved ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If the newer paint is not "colored" enough, why not mix it with some
of the "orange store" paint that was too colored, maybe you'll get
closer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 9:27*pm, "benick" wrote:

Matching colors "EXACTLY" is impossible....All the painters I know that buy
a few gallons of color tinted paint , dump the 1 gallon cans into a clean 5
gallon bucket and mix them to eliminate any possibility of differences
between the 1 gallon cans..

That's called boxing. Why pouring one can into another can/bucket
makes it a box, I'll never know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:10*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:57*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

A match is a match, ive painted for 30 years and have good eyes and
dont spend any money on paint matching, I just use my eyes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 3, 10:29*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

I've run out of the other paint, plus the tint of that is off, it is
muddier than the color on the walls

to whoever mentioned it, yes, I managed to figure out that a dry
roller is the ticket. In fact, for small patches I've been wiping the
paint on the wall with a brush and then rolling over it with a dry
foam roller to knock the texture down.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new paint
color is pretty close. One can also feather out by diluting the paint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I have used paint from the original mix to touch up and even that did
not match the older paint coat ... more or less gloss. If one mix is
pretty close, you might paint one entire wall with it...the contrast
might be less noticeable at a corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 9:08*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
ransley wrote:
A match is a match, ive painted for 30 years and have good eyes and
dont spend any money on paint matching, I just use my eyes.

But paint doesn't always look the same color when it's dried out on the
wall (or whatever) as it does when it's liquid in the can.

Perce

A large sample has to be dried out on at least a 4" piece of paper,
you cant tell anything looking in a can and should not accept that nor
should you accept the trick of the employee drying out a 1/4" spot on
paper, after its dried look at it a bit, even under different
lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:

Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new
paint color is pretty close. One can also feather out by diluting the
paint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I just scanned over the OP's post, but if it's an option, paint the whole
wall. The color difference will be less noticeable where painted wall meets
unpainted wall due to light hitting each differently and you'll still avoid
repainting the whole room. I'll also second the opinion of dry roller
feathering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:57 pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I would guess, from experience, that matching two separate mixtures for
color is almost impossible, even with a good deal of experience with
color formulas. That said, I bought paint for exterior trim on my
daughter's house and had not bought enough. When I returned to purchase
more paint, the store clerk (color master supreme) mixed a new batch,
took samples of each and dried them with a hair dryer. Not my request
.... just his attention to detail. He nudged the color a bit, took
another sample, dried it, done. I was satisfied with the color before
he was )

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 4, 7:53*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new paint
color is pretty close. *One can also feather out by diluting the paint.

It's not at all, that's the problem. I've had three different batches
of paint mixed and only one was close enough to even try putting it on
the wall, and it is clearly different - patches look like shadows.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I just scanned over the OP's post, but if it's an option, paint the whole
wall. *The color difference will be less noticeable where painted wall meets
unpainted wall due to light hitting each differently and you'll still avoid
repainting the whole room. *I'll also second the opinion of dry roller
feathering.

It's not an option *yet* as most walls to which I'm doing this still
have areas that need to be addressed. I'd like to be able to take a
couple days and attack the whole mess but I'm picking away at this for
a couple hours each evening etc. and am just trying to find a stopgap
so whatever I'm working on doesn't look too objectionable.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:57*pm, ransley wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. Your good enough is good enough for you. Not really a
surprise, is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

It's not at all, that's the problem. *I've had three different batches
of paint mixed and only one was close enough to even try putting it on
the wall, and it is clearly different - patches look like shadows.

What sheen paint? Sheen differences can look like shadows or
different colors when it is the reflectance that is the difference.
Flat paint is the easiest to match on walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 07:18:28 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:53*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new paint
color is pretty close. *One can also feather out by diluting the paint.

It's not at all, that's the problem. I've had three different batches
of paint mixed and only one was close enough to even try putting it on
the wall, and it is clearly different - patches look like shadows.

I guess I just don't repaint often enough-- or maybe too often-- but
in 50 years of home-owning and doing my own painting, I don't recall a
single time that I tried to paint part of a wall-- and only a handful
of times that I painted less than the entire room.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 9:22*am, ransley wrote:

A large sample has to be dried out on at least a 4" piece of paper,
you cant tell anything looking in a can and should not accept that nor
should you accept the trick of the employee drying out a 1/4" spot on
paper, after its dried look at it a bit, even under different
lighting.

I agree with you about the larger sample being better, but any paint
sample can/will lie to you. Do you do two coats on the sample? Prime
it first? The color and absorption of the surface to be painted has a
lot to do with the outcome of the final color.

The lighting in a paint store is not the same lighting as in your
house. Do you have the guy mix the paint, do a sample, take it home
match the sample, then bring it back to be tweaked? If not, you're
just saying, good enough is good enough and you've already made that
clear.

Red's tip about rolling out the patch with a dry roller is an old
trick, and an excellent one. First time I heard it was ~30 years ago
from an old timer painting commercial construction. Basically the
idea is to prevent any hard paint edges in the patch so any difference
in color/sheen is spread out over a larger area to minimize how
noticeable it is. With certain lighting conditions, and certain paint
sheens, it is almost impossible to make it disappear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:53*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new paint
color is pretty close. *One can also feather out by diluting the paint.

It's not at all, that's the problem. *I've had three different batches
of paint mixed and only one was close enough to even try putting it on
the wall, and it is clearly different - patches look like shadows.

I guess I just don't repaint often enough-- or maybe too often-- but
in 50 years of home-owning and doing my own painting, I don't recall a
single time that I tried to paint part of a wall-- and only a handful
of times that I painted less than the entire room.

We bought a very old house a couple years ago, and the PO's repainted
before the sale - and they apparently were big fans of mounting stuff
on the wall (e.g. mirrors etc.) and were NOT big fans of removing
things like light fixtures, mirrors, switch plates, etc. when
repainting. *So for an example, when we had air conditioning installed
and had the old round thermostat replaced with a new programmable one,
there was an ugly exposed area of old paint, mounting holes, etc. left
behind with a big ridge of brush marks showing the outline of the old
thermostat. *Likewise, they'd glued pieces of mirror on the wall in
the living room to conceal the old electrical boxes for wall sconces;
when I ripped those down to install new sconces I've got more
ugliness. *(but I still have to take the big mirror - mounted like a
bathroom mirror, with clips - down over the mantel, which will cause
another big mess-o-ugliness) *In each case there's enough brush marks,
holes, etc. that most of these areas get a skim coat of drywall mud,
primer, etc.

Once I've got enough of these really egregious trouble spots done,
then we'll likely go ahead and repaint whole walls or rooms, but I'm
just trying to keep the house from looking like a perpetual
construction site while this is going on.

In that case just pull paint patches all over the wall and tell people
it's Venetian Plaster. They'll go, "Ooooh!" and you'll wink at the
wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:53*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Hah. The funny thing is I think we might just do venetian plaster in
the living room

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 4, 10:32*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:18*am, N8N wrote:

It's not at all, that's the problem. *I've had three different batches
of paint mixed and only one was close enough to even try putting it on
the wall, and it is clearly different - patches look like shadows.

What sheen paint? *Sheen differences can look like shadows or
different colors when it is the reflectance that is the difference.
Flat paint is the easiest to match on walls.

It's flat. (ugh. Who uses flat paint in a kitchen?)

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're expecting way too much. If you had the original can of
paint, it would probably not be dead on out in the middle of a
wall. Any touch up painting will always require painting corner
to corner, top to bottom.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:53 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
You're expecting way too much. If you had the original can of paint, it
would probably not be dead on out in the middle of a wall. Any touch up
painting will always require painting corner to corner, top to bottom.

At last, a reasonable man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 8:09*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

You're expecting way too much. *If you had the original can of paint, it
would probably not be dead on out in the middle of a wall. *Any touch up
painting will always require painting corner to corner, top to bottom.

At last, a reasonable man.

I saved a quart of kitchen wall satin finish paint from when we
painted 8 years ago and when we had to change the mount for our
cordless telephone answering system last month, I mixed a little paint
with the drywall mud and filled in the appropriate areas. Then I
sanded down the entire area and painted it with a 2" roller, doing it
twice. I can't find the edge marks because it blended in so well.
But, the paint is a very mild off-white/yellow color. I washed the
whole wall before starting the patching, and even the sheen matches so
closely that it is difficult where the transition is. But, it was the
exact same apint.

Where I go, to the local big orange box, they smear a heavy coat of
the newly mixed paint on a white paper and then dry it thoroughly with
a hair dryer and check that against the sample you provide. They
prefer an actual chip of the paint to be matched, from some
inconspicuous point on the wall. If they are esperienced, and the
color is a little off, they can add a little of one of the colorants
to the original mix, put it in the shaker and try a second time. Then
they have to change the formula on the paper that they print out to
stick on the can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" writes:
Red Green wrote:

Like to add, when touching up even from an original can, blend/fog by
running the brush/roller virtually dry way past the area being done.
Differences are harder to notice.

IME and IMO this is the best solution for the OP assuming that the new paint
color is pretty close. One can also feather out by diluting the paint.

Another good tip is too *wash* the entire wall. A lot of the mismatch
is due more to accumulate dust/dirt/grime than to actual fading -
especially indoor areas not exposed to lots of direct sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" writes:
This can be for several reasons:

The substrate. Putting it on different things. Different brands of
drywall. Kilz or no Kilz? Primer or no primer? Which primer? How long
has it been there, and how much UV rays from the sun has lightened it? If
it is in a kitchen or bath area, how much oil or steam has changed the
color? Paint looks different after it has soaked into a wall for five years
than that which is a week old.

I have kept those little color things, and gone back later and gotten
EXACTLY the same mix, and painted it on, and it looks different than the
paint on there. Even clothes fade. Car paint jobs fade.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER LOOK AT PAINT UNTIL IT HAS DRIED A WEEK. It takes that
long to get even close to the color it's going to be.

Here is another reason. Sometimes the paint manufacturers change the
base composition.

I recently had the following experience. I went to my favorite local
paint store to get another gallon of the paint that the old-timer had
meticulously matched for me several years ago. At that time, he spent
about an hour with me using repeated rounds of adding slight amounts
of color, shaking the can, painting a swatch, drying it with a hair
dryer, waiting, then seeing how it matched and continuing until the
match was perfect. All for a gallon of paint.

Well, the other day when he made a new gallon using the old formula,
the match was way off -- even against a test swab made from the
original paint and kept in a dark area.

It turns out that Benjamin Moore changed the formulation of its bases
to reduce the VOC content and that messed up all the formulas.

Luckily, my guys is skilled and he was able to save the gallon by
using his magic to adjust the color by eye over several iterations.

This guy is worth his weight in gold and he doesn't seem to charge any
more than the other non big box paint stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:28*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Unfortunately this @#$@#$% color is on about half the walls in my house,
and I have a couple other little areas that I'd like to address
(changing light fixtures in living room and removing mirror over mantel;
repainting ceiling at top of stair landing where it was badly prepped;
painting kitchen ceiling where I demo'd an ugly fluorescent fixture and
never patched/painted the ceiling) but we're not quite ready to repaint
any whole rooms yet. *So I would really like to have a couple more
quarts of paint matched to the existing so I can keep doing spot repairs
as I get motivated and not have the house look all ghetto and have
primer spots all over the darn place until whatever room gets a full
repaint.

Well, what you'd really like is unlikely.

Today I had a dentist's appt. in the AM so I left early and hit the
closest "real" paint store and brought the same vent grille with me.

Fascinating.

They "matched" it while I was visiting with Dr. Hook and I picked up two
quarts

2 whole courts? You must be made of money.

The few areas I've used the HD paint don't look awful, but it's obvious
that there's a paint mismatch.

New paint looks different than old paint, for reasons one who purports
to be an "engineer" might deduce.

Is that about the best I can hope for
(in which case I should go back to HD and get a couple more quarts of
the same thing I got last time,) or should I take everything back to the
real paint store and let them try again?

You might try investing the time to repaint all that displeases you, 2
quarts at a time, as paydays permit.

I realize you can't see what
I'm working with so you can't really say "that's about as good as it
gets, you're being too picky, just deal until you repaint" or "you can
do better than that, you've just had bad luck with paint guys" (but I
guess that's kind of the feedback I really need)

It does not seem unlikely you might seek feedback regarding trimming
your fingernails.

Not sure if posting pics would help,

It obviously would not, you blithering idiot.

but if it would, I can take a pic
of the last little spot I did, around the thermostat on the kitchen wall....

Mmmm.. that won't work, thermostats distort color.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 5, 3:37*am, gpsman wrote a bunch of
****.

Listen, you insufferable douchebag, why don't you just killfile me and
stop reading my posts?

You are demonstrably an idiot.

You contribute nothing useful to the discussion.

You obviously have taken a dislike to me because I see through your
bull****.

Why don't you just **** right off into the sunset and hang out on a
group more your own speed, like alt.tonka.trucks or something?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 9:16*am, N8N wrote:
On Nov 5, 3:37*am, gpsman wrote a bunch of
****.

Listen, you insufferable douchebag, why don't you just killfile me and
stop reading my posts?

I don't know why you'd care what someone with this profile would say:
http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...DVg2RHsu8f1bCg

Stop feeding the trolls. You know that's what they live on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Nov 4, 8:09 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

reply:

I've had good luck with the big box store, too. And if you can peel a big
enough chip off to put in their computer, it will match pretty good, even if
it has aged or faded. It's all up to the individual, as slight differences
may not be a big deal to some people, yet others have to have it just so.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 5, 11:47*am, Red Green wrote:
N8N wrote in news:dc862e98-dfbd-4d6f-944b-
:

On Nov 5, 3:37*am, gpsman wrote a bunch of
****.

Listen, you insufferable douchebag, why don't you just killfile me and
stop reading my posts?

You are demonstrably an idiot.

You contribute nothing useful to the discussion.

You obviously have taken a dislike to me because I see through your
bull****.

Why don't you just **** right off into the sunset and hang out on a
group more your own speed, like alt.tonka.trucks or something?

nate

Whew! For a minute there I thought my Ex latched on to me.

you have an ex named Nate? That's kinda weird, man.

nate

Paint Color Matching Machines Robert11 Home Repair 7 July 11th 07 02:55 AM
Paint Color Matching Machines pj Home Repair 0 July 10th 07 05:03 PM
Matching paint Eigenvector Home Repair 3 April 7th 07 02:58 PM
Matching Paint [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 12th 06 12:58 PM