Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Matching paint

If I buy a gallon of paint, any color, use it and determine that I need
more. What is the likelyhood that the next quart, gallon, 5 gallon bucket
of the stuff that I buy will match the color of the first gallon? I'm
making the assumption that the brand/quality of the paint will matter, but
let's say I buy top quality paint in some color (any color)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
If I buy a gallon of paint, any color, use it and determine that I need
more. What is the likelyhood that the next quart, gallon, 5 gallon bucket
of the stuff that I buy will match the color of the first gallon? I'm
making the assumption that the brand/quality of the paint will matter, but
let's say I buy top quality paint in some color (any color)?

Quality of the paint is probably less important on this point than skill
of the mixer. Custom colors should have the color codes marked on the
can..a number and letter for each base color used. Be sure to preserve
the markings/label so you can duplicate. The pro advice to diyers is to
mix part of the second gal with part of the first...so, if you are down
to the last 1/4 or so and it looks like you will need a second gal, get
it and mix before you use up all of the first gal.

If it is a factory color, then it is mixed in large batches and more
likely to be exactly the same; probably has a batch number on it to make
sure they are the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Wish I asked this sooner, otherwise mixing the two batches is a really good
idea. Oh well looks like the dining room will get another coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Acually pro advice would be to always put on two coats, and after the
first coat you know exactly what you need for second coat, so get it and box
all cans together prior to painting.

"Norminn" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Matching Paint [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 12th 06 12:58 PM
Matching tiles. flash UK diy 2 January 19th 06 11:39 AM
Matching a Color Question GrayFox Woodworking 3 July 12th 05 07:38 PM
Impedance matching 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan Electronics 1 February 11th 05 11:15 PM