Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Paint matching (am I expecting too much...?)

On Nov 3, 7:28*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Unfortunately this @#$@#$% color is on about half the walls in my house,
and I have a couple other little areas that I'd like to address
(changing light fixtures in living room and removing mirror over mantel;
repainting ceiling at top of stair landing where it was badly prepped;
painting kitchen ceiling where I demo'd an ugly fluorescent fixture and
never patched/painted the ceiling) but we're not quite ready to repaint
any whole rooms yet. *So I would really like to have a couple more
quarts of paint matched to the existing so I can keep doing spot repairs
as I get motivated and not have the house look all ghetto and have
primer spots all over the darn place until whatever room gets a full
repaint.

Well, what you'd really like is unlikely.

Today I had a dentist's appt. in the AM so I left early and hit the
closest "real" paint store and brought the same vent grille with me.

Fascinating.

They "matched" it while I was visiting with Dr. Hook and I picked up two
quarts

2 whole courts? You must be made of money.

The few areas I've used the HD paint don't look awful, but it's obvious
that there's a paint mismatch.

New paint looks different than old paint, for reasons one who purports
to be an "engineer" might deduce.

Is that about the best I can hope for
(in which case I should go back to HD and get a couple more quarts of
the same thing I got last time,) or should I take everything back to the
real paint store and let them try again?

You might try investing the time to repaint all that displeases you, 2
quarts at a time, as paydays permit.

I realize you can't see what
I'm working with so you can't really say "that's about as good as it
gets, you're being too picky, just deal until you repaint" or "you can
do better than that, you've just had bad luck with paint guys" (but I
guess that's kind of the feedback I really need)

It does not seem unlikely you might seek feedback regarding trimming
your fingernails.

Not sure if posting pics would help,

It obviously would not, you blithering idiot.

but if it would, I can take a pic
of the last little spot I did, around the thermostat on the kitchen wall....

Mmmm.. that won't work, thermostats distort color.
-----

- gpsman