Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome
here.
Any other suggestions?

Cats, generally, don't like and avoid the smell of citrus. If you can find
an air freshener, cleaning compound, etc. that emits such an odor, it might
act as a deterrent.

Or you could move.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 2:12*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

I have this trouble, too. A neighbor Lady feeds the stray cats that
live in the woods and, for whatever reason, they have chosen to come
and go to her house through my yard.

I was constantly finding their poop and places they dig up in my
vegetable patch to try and bury their poop, so I sprinkled moth balls
around the vegetable patch and that seems to help reduce their
intrusions.

Lewis

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

I built a trap out of wire, lumber, cutting board, string and a mouse trap.
I found directions at the library but you can probably find them on the
internet. I found out, after I built it, I could of rented traps from Animal
Control.

After I caught them I called Animal Control and they took them.

If you know who owns the cats you might tell them first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 05:50:57 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Cats, generally, don't like and avoid the smell of citrus.

Lion crap is supposed* to work really well - talk to the local zoo if you
have one (and if they have a Lion!).

* seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

I built a trap out of wire, lumber, cutting board, string and a mouse
trap. I found directions at the library but you can probably find them on
the internet. I found out, after I built it, I could of rented traps from
Animal Control.

After I caught them I called Animal Control and they took them.

If you know who owns the cats you might tell them first.

Here's one that works basically the same. Instead of the floor on a fulcrum,
I used a mouse trap to pull the string. It worked just as planned.

http://icwdm.org/Images/cat-house/Fe...eCat_img_3.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 29, 5:12*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

We resolved our issues with cats but were knew who they belonged to.
We dropped a copy of the city By Laws in their mail box regarding free
roaming cats and dogs. Then we started taking the animals to humane
services. First bail out cost the owners 75.00, second time 150.00
before they decided to keep their pets indoors. As for stray cats?
trap them and bring them to humane services.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
A BB gun or an air-rifle. Wouldn't kill the cat, but a few stings
might convince it that it is not welcome.

You could also get a motion activated water-sprayer that would douse
the cat if it got on your property.

Well, I'm in the city, so the BB gun would get me into a pile of trouble.

I do like the water idea though, might teach a good lesson for the little
bugger.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Cats, generally, don't like and avoid the smell of citrus. If you can
find an air freshener, cleaning compound, etc. that emits such an
odor, it might act as a deterrent.

Well, I do like the smell of citrus; might be a win-win on this one.

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why don't you just move?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That was
3 months ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That
was 3 months ago.

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the
crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll come out just to
shut you up. Seriously.

No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Hi,
No motion sensing sprinkler? If you kill the cat, you get into trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?

Don't waste your time. I had a dog that barked all night when his owner was
at work. They won't do a thing unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR
property.

It all depends on your relationship with your neighbors. If you like them,
talk to them. They MAY keep the cats at home. Step two, trap the cat, take
it over and give it to them, and tell them next time you will take it to
animal control. Step three, if no compliance, take it to animal control.
Step four, take it to a local creek and give it a five minute soak.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome
here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon
Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That
was 3 months ago.

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the
crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll come out just
to shut you up. Seriously.

No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

Meh...

I called them about a dog that roams around. Mean looking dog but actually
not so bad. Problem with AC is they won't get out in time to see the
problem. I like to take care of the problem myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome
here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon
Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That
was 3 months ago.

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the
crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll come out just
to shut you up. Seriously.

No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

You are either an optimist, or live in an area where they will actually come
out. In 95% of the country, they will not even come out unless you have the
animal trapped on YOUR property.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
Why don't you just move?

Since no where else has cats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:12:09 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Fence the garden; bleach the carport. Get a dog. Set up traps and
take them to the pound. Get a life.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"SteveB" wrote in message

. ..

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

LOL. *not* an optimist. Guess I just picked the right spot to live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Joe"wrote:
"Master Betty" wrote:
"LouB" wrote:
Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out.
That was 3 months ago.

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the
crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll
come out just to shut you up. Seriously.

No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

You are either an optimist, or live in an area where they will
actually come out. In 95% of the country, they will not even come
out unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR property.

That's pretty much the way it is around here. I called them once to ask if
I could trap them, and they told me I would have to first inform my
neighbors that I was intending to trap them. Trapping can also yield a
crying, trapped animal, garnering the attention of everyone around, and I
don't want to be known as someone who does that sort of thing, or someone to
whom everyone runs with accusations when their precious little fluffy goes
missing.

I have to live here, after all, and humans are unpredictable creatures,
especially when they have somewhere to point their bony little fingers at.

So, I'm looking at behavior modification, either via electricity or, as was
suggested water. I like the water idea, but this being winter, and it being
prone to freezing around here, I'm leaning towards going with electricity.

Plus, the ground is wet, so there is a good ground.

Would love to hear if anyone else has had success with that method.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:36:01 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

So, I'm looking at behavior modification, either via electricity or, as was

Or better yet, on yourself. If you can't tolerate wildlife, move to
the city.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

Or better yet, on yourself. If you can't tolerate wildlife, move to
the city.

Cats are not wildlife, cats are people's pets.

Squirrels and birds are wildlife, and I have no problem with their
behaviors.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

Or better yet, on yourself. If you can't tolerate wildlife, move to
the city.

Cats are not wildlife, cats are people's pets.

Squirrels and birds are wildlife, and I have no problem with their
behaviors.

Jon

Perhaps you could catch the owners, and punish them severely. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

Perhaps you could catch the owners, and punish them severely. :-)

Well, if axle grease wasn't bad for the cats, they would be going home with
it on their bodies.

Hmmm, maybe coating them in vaseline would give the owners something to
do.... ;-

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Joe"wrote:
"Master Betty" wrote:
"LouB" wrote:
[...]

I have a Fi-Shock unit. They are reasonably priced if you don't buy the
whole unnecessary package with all the stuff. IIRC, I got mine at a pet
shop, and it was about $30 for the basic shocker unit, which is all you
want. Zap them once or twice, and they won't come back. It's funny as
hell, too. I never knew cats could jump that high! Just put a stainless
steel bowl of food out on an insulated base, and leave it. As you say, make
sure you have a good ground. Put it in a place where your pets or kids
can't get to it. But then, if the kids do get to it, they only have to
touch it once to have their curiosity satisfied. Plus, if it is on your
property, and your neighbor cannot see it, there's less chance for there to
be problems with them when the cat gets lit up. I have gotten rid of
several wandering dogs that got in the trash, roaming cats, and a couple of
wild critters. They learn fast. Do not try to electrify too big an area,
or a long run of fence, as then it will be more upkeep, easier to short out,
and those nosy neighbors may gripe.

Have fun.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:15:20 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

t...

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

At that point, cat in the trap, the next question is "do you have a
shovel"?

A 5 minute soak in a 55 gallon barrel of water works, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

Perhaps you could catch the owners, and punish them severely. :-)

Well, if axle grease wasn't bad for the cats, they would be going home
with it on their bodies.

Hmmm, maybe coating them in vaseline would give the owners something to
do.... ;-

Jon

Mix it with some Ben-Gue, and that will make it more exciting. Once they
can get the cats off the ceiling, that is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:01:54 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

Or better yet, on yourself. If you can't tolerate wildlife, move to
the city.

Cats are not wildlife, cats are people's pets.

Of course. They're grown in labs.

Squirrels and birds are wildlife, and I have no problem with their
behaviors.

No way. They should be wiped out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome
here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

My friend used to have a problem with the neighbor's cat. He borrowed a
live trap from the city and caught the cat. Then he ****ed all over it
while it was in the trap. Left it to soak in the **** for an hour and then
let it go. Then he ****ed into a bottle and sprinkled a bit of **** around
the fence line. Cat never came back. Besides effective this method was very
satisfying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little pieces
of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6974687.stm
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Aye, thanks Steve, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. I only wish I
were able to be there to see the damn thing hit it; that would bring me much
satisfaction.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reno wrote:

My friend used to have a problem with the neighbor's cat. He borrowed
a live trap from the city and caught the cat. Then he ****ed all over
it while it was in the trap. Left it to soak in the **** for an hour
and then let it go. Then he ****ed into a bottle and sprinkled a bit
of **** around the fence line. Cat never came back. Besides effective
this method was very satisfying.

LOL, fight fire with fire, eh?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:32:23 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

-snip-
Aye, thanks Steve, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. I only wish I
were able to be there to see the damn thing hit it; that would bring me much
satisfaction.

Have you got a Canon point & shoot digital camera with video
capability?

if you do- then all you need is the open source freeware- CHDK. It
gives your camera motion detection capability-- and a million other
things. [bracketing, time lapse, remote, a better battery gauge. . .
..]
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 1:55*pm, Reno wrote:

My friend used to have a problem with the neighbor's cat. He borrowed a
live trap from the city and caught the cat. Then he ****ed all over it
while it was in the trap. Left it to soak in the **** for an hour and then
let it go. Then he ****ed into a bottle and sprinkled a bit of **** around
the fence line. Cat never came back. Besides effective this method was very
satisfying.

I'll recommend that to my husband. He tried dumping soapy water on
it when it was in the trap, but it couldn't take the hint and I saw it
back
again this week.

It could take him a while to get enough to sprinkle the fence line.
I'll
brew some tea.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:06:31 -0500, "Master Betty"
wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That was
3 months ago.

There was an AC truck pulled over on a street near my street one day.
I stopped and asked the lady to drive by my house two blocks away and
hear the constantly barking dog. Shell tells me to call the office,
blah, blah... I had already filed a formal complaint.

A waste of tax dollars, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
Any suggestions besides trapping and drowning or shooting the little
pieces of sh*t that poop in my garden and pee in my carport?

I'm considering getting one of the "havahart" electric fence jobs and
zapping them until they get the message they are no longer welcome here.

Any other suggestions?

Jon

Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That was
3 months ago.

There was an AC truck pulled over on a street near my street one day.
I stopped and asked the lady to drive by my house two blocks away and
hear the constantly barking dog. Shell tells me to call the office,
blah, blah... I had already filed a formal complaint.

A waste of tax dollars, IMO.

FAT CATS Millwright Ron[_2_] Metalworking 2 November 10th 08 06:17 PM
Old men & cats Joe Barta Woodworking Plans and Photos 33 February 27th 08 07:26 AM
Cats EXT Home Repair 0 February 3rd 08 10:02 PM
Why is a cats head call a cats head? TheAndroid Metalworking 11 January 17th 06 09:42 AM
OT-Cats Gunner Metalworking 29 December 29th 03 06:04 PM