Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Venting enclosed room ?

We have a vacation cabin in the remote mountains. This place was built
many years ago, and this county is so remote, not much attention is paid to
building codes, etc.

I have a very small bathroom adjacent to an upstairs bathroom, that was
built as an after-thought. It is real nice, but it has always had a
problem. It has NO ventilation. It is **fully** enclosed, except for
the door, which leads off our bedroom.

Because the bathroom has no ventilation, it stinks, not so much from human
use, but from mice droppings/ dead mice that get trapped in the walls, etc.
I know that if I could air it out, it would be 100% better.

I have thought of a small window. I know that would allow it to air out,
and would do the trick. Yet, that is a bit costly, and would not "match"
the exterior lines of the house.

I have also thought of a ventilation fan, but I know nothing about them.
Are they really, really, effective ? I know they usually ventilate
through a ceiling vent, but I would prefer not to go through my roof. Can
they be vented horizontally, with a hole on a side wall? Most
importantly, would a good exhaust fan do as well as having a small window
that I could open from time to time ?

There is another possibility..... on the single door on this small bathroom,
there is a transom area, currently covered with paneling. I could
physically install an exhaust fan there, but of course it would be blowing
out into the bedroom. The bedroom has plenty of windows, and thus is
well-ventilated.

Some of my ideas or comments may sound like I am a greenhorn, and I am.

I will appreciate constructive ideas and comments. I suppose one of my
main questions is how well an exhaust fan would ventilate this small
bathroom, especially compared to a small window.

(Please note: Although I want things to be safe and effective, there is no
worry about building codes here).

Thank You !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 7:18*pm, "James" no wrote:
[...]

Interesting post. But if cabin is in the remote mountains does the
outside appearance of one small extra window matter very much; if at
all?
Also since it is a remote area one assumes that some sort of generator
(intermittent availability of power etc.) is used to provide
electricity. Since the possible use of a fan is mentioned, is whatever
electrcity available regular North American 115/230 volts or some
other type such as 12 volts from a battery/wind charger etc. In which
case something using say a computer or ex-motor vehicle 12 volt fan
could be employed?
Since no building codes almost anything that works and is sensible and
safe could be used?
Here, in this part of Canada electricity is available in many
organised 'Cabin areas' but in remote regions, sometimes only a few
miles from a town/city there is none.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" no wrote in message
net...
[...]

You can get bathroom fans that vent directly through a wall , or through a
side wall via the rooms ceiling, provided that the framing is going in the
correct direction.Personally, I think it would be healthier, if you could
close up whatever access the mice have into the bathroom walls

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Is there an accessible attic above? Is the bathroom close to a sidewall
that gets a good breeze, downstream from windows? If you can get power
in the ceiling, you can easily add a normal bathroom fan with a
through-wall vent. If any of the bathroom walls are outside walls, you
can install a through-wall fan, but those are prone to air leakage and
frost buildup problems.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

We do have electricity. There is no way to exclude the mice. We know
from 30 years experience.

The wall mounted exhaust fan may be a good idea...

Yes, you are correct that the odd window should not matter on this cabin,
as we have no neighbors...

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Sure. It's done all the time. In fact the 'code' in my area requires a
bathroom to have either a) a window or b) a fan-driven vent.

So, to answer you question, you can install a fan-driven vent and exhaust
the air up through the roof or sideways through the wall.

Among other things to bear in mind:
* The more powerful the fan, the more air that will be sucked from the
living quarters; the more air sucked from the living quarters, the more
outside air that must come in to replace it. This may be a climate issue.

* The outside vent should have some sort of flap, else critters will get in
and die, build nests, store nuts, or all three.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

No access to attic. Bathroom is located on an outside wall. Through wall
fan may be good idea, except for your notation that they are prone to air
leakage and frost buildup.

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Clare, these are good points, except that we tried the ultrasonic units
years ago, and they made no difference whatsoever.

I am now wondering if I shouldn't simply install some sort of vent-pipe
through the wall. Just the smallest amount of fresh air from the outside
would cure this problem, I am quite sure. Perhaps a six inch pvc pipe, with
a mesh screen to defeat animal (more mice!) entry....

I bet there is something on the market that would work, I will look
around....

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 8:02*pm, "James" no wrote:
Clare, these are good points, except that we tried the ultrasonic units
years ago, and they made no difference whatsoever.

I am now wondering if I *shouldn't simply install some sort of vent-pipe
through the wall. * Just the smallest amount of fresh air from the outside
would cure this problem, I am quite sure. *Perhaps a six inch pvc pipe, with
a mesh screen to defeat animal (more mice!) *entry....

I bet there is something on the market that would work, I will look
around....

James

Dryer vent hoses are 4". What about using a louvered door insert
between the bathroom and the bedroom? We did that for additional
ventilation in our bathroom because we didn't want to keep the window
open and didn't want to put in a ceiling or wall fan.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:35:46 -0400, "James" no

wrote:

We do have electricity. There is no way to exclude the mice. We know
from 30 years experience.
The wall mounted exhaust fan may be a good idea...

Yes, you are correct that the odd window should not matter on this cabin,
as we have no neighbors...

James

The window route is cheaper than the fan route in the long run, and
more effective. As for the Mice, get a good ultrasonic pest repellant
unit and run it "wide open" when you are not there. They DO work.
At my brother's trailer he had a real infestation, and 2 weeks after
he installed the "noise maker" the traps were empty..

If you decide to go with a fan, there are wall-mount (through the
wall) fans as well as ceiling fans that can be vented out the side -
the wall-mounts tend to be "colder" - ie - they leak more air.

They are also, generally, more effective (larger)

A fan could be left running constantly regardless whether it was
raining, or whatever, while a window might need to be closed - and the
fan could be set on a timer to run for a short while every day even
when you are not there - while for security reasons a window would
need to be closed.

Just a few things to think about.

Hi,
My vote is for a window which will give extra light as well.
If thru wall fan with louver is installed, better find a quiet type.
My cabin has that mouse chaser and never had mouse problem.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How much do those ultrasonic mouse chasers cost? Is there a brand and
model anyone can recommend? And do they drive dogs crazy? It is starting
to get cold here, and I'm dreading the annual battle with the field mice
looking for a warm winter home. (Pretty sure I know where they are
getting in, but I can't do anything about it till I feel rich enough to
tear out and replace the deck and some of the siding. No access.) I was
thinking to put one high up in that part of the basement, or maybe in
the cabinet under kitchen sink. I don't have a dog, but my neighbor 30
feet away does.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"James" no wrote:

I have a very small bathroom adjacent to an upstairs bathroom

How is the adjacent bathroom vented? Maybe you can connect the two rooms
with venting in the common wall.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Vent fans are sometimes wired so they go on with the
electric light. I'd dare to guess that would give you enough
air flow to help, a lot. No attic access sure changes the
options.

What's below? Can you cut a vent hole in the floor, and tie
that hole to the return air from your furnace? Or maybe run
a ceiling fan to draw air from a floor vent? Run the tube
along the cellar, and dump the stinky air out the side of
the building?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James" no wrote in message
net...
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:29:31 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Black and Decker makes one - Just don't put it in a hot attic - put
mine in daughter's attic to chase squirrels out and the Piezo
transducer blew. I had to replace it (that's the 'squawker")

Doesn't seem to bother cats and dogs too much, daughter's cat didn't
mind at all. It has 3 "patterns" and 3 volume settings. Set to low
when in residence, and shift to high when you leave.

Mine is a model 745-wb
Made by Applica Consumer Products, 3633 Flamingo Road, Miramar Florida
33027
1-800-231-9786

(actually made for them in China)
Marketed by Black and Decker.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

James,

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.fantech.net/bathroom.htm

They have both single and dual intake models available, as well as through
the wall style fans. The motor portion of the "fan" unit mounts remotely
(attic, knee wall, or closet, if need be, as long as you have a power source
there) and you simply run insulated flex duct to the grill. No need for the
grill to be ceiling mounted.

As someone else here mentioned, you may be able to tie both bathrooms
together with one fan unit. On the ones that I have installed, I used a
Leviton timer switch which provides a 5, 10, 15, or 30 minute delay time
before turning the fan off.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

"James" no wrote in message
net...
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

===

sailboat (and rv?) supply places have 12v exhaust fans with solar cells

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

thanks Peter and Charlie for these comments and advice....

James