Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Peter Bogiatzidis Peter Bogiatzidis is offline

Default Venting enclosed room ?

James,

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.fantech.net/bathroom.htm

They have both single and dual intake models available, as well as through
the wall style fans. The motor portion of the "fan" unit mounts remotely
(attic, knee wall, or closet, if need be, as long as you have a power source
there) and you simply run insulated flex duct to the grill. No need for the
grill to be ceiling mounted.

As someone else here mentioned, you may be able to tie both bathrooms
together with one fan unit. On the ones that I have installed, I used a
Leviton timer switch which provides a 5, 10, 15, or 30 minute delay time
before turning the fan off.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

"James" no wrote in message
net...
We have a vacation cabin in the remote mountains. This place was built
many years ago, and this county is so remote, not much attention is paid
to building codes, etc.

I have a very small bathroom adjacent to an upstairs bathroom, that was
built as an after-thought. It is real nice, but it has always had a
problem. It has NO ventilation. It is **fully** enclosed, except for
the door, which leads off our bedroom.

Because the bathroom has no ventilation, it stinks, not so much from human
use, but from mice droppings/ dead mice that get trapped in the walls,
etc. I know that if I could air it out, it would be 100% better.

I have thought of a small window. I know that would allow it to air out,
and would do the trick. Yet, that is a bit costly, and would not "match"
the exterior lines of the house.

I have also thought of a ventilation fan, but I know nothing about them.
Are they really, really, effective ? I know they usually ventilate
through a ceiling vent, but I would prefer not to go through my roof.
Can they be vented horizontally, with a hole on a side wall? Most
importantly, would a good exhaust fan do as well as having a small window
that I could open from time to time ?

There is another possibility..... on the single door on this small
bathroom, there is a transom area, currently covered with paneling. I
could physically install an exhaust fan there, but of course it would be
blowing out into the bedroom. The bedroom has plenty of windows, and thus
is well-ventilated.

Some of my ideas or comments may sound like I am a greenhorn, and I am.

I will appreciate constructive ideas and comments. I suppose one of my
main questions is how well an exhaust fan would ventilate this small
bathroom, especially compared to a small window.

(Please note: Although I want things to be safe and effective, there is
no worry about building codes here).

Thank You !!

James