Nathan Gant

Default enclosed garage ---> room addition

I bought a house last year that had a permit pulled for an enclosed garage.
Working garage-door opener is functional, but rarely if ever used today.
This area is now used as a very large utility room, xtra fridge, storage,
ect.

I am interested in converting most of this area into a small 3rd bedroom
(currently house has 2 beds/2 baths). Is this feasible and at what point
would it be cost-effective (in long-term valuation of home, home is 45 yrs.
old, concrete block&stucco, and has about 40 years of remaining life
expectancy according to insurance papers)?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nathan Gant" wrote in message
ink.net...
I bought a house last year that had a permit pulled for an enclosed garage.
Working garage-door opener is functional, but rarely if ever used today.
This area is now used as a very large utility room, xtra fridge, storage,
ect.

I am interested in converting most of this area into a small 3rd bedroom
(currently house has 2 beds/2 baths). Is this feasible and at what point
would it be cost-effective (in long-term valuation of home, home is 45
yrs.
old, concrete block&stucco, and has about 40 years of remaining life
expectancy according to insurance papers)?

The additional bedroom may offset the loss of a garage. Do you plan to
remove the door and block it up? Will you have the proper windows and means
of egress to meet the building code?

As to the value, a local realtor can probably give you a better handle on
what the changes will do to the price of the house.

To add to Pawlowski:
Heat and Air Conditioning
Electrical Outlets
Lighting

Emergency escape requires a window with 5 square feet of opening with
minimum vertical and horizontal dimensions.

TB

Emergency escape requires a window with 5 square feet of opening with
minimum vertical and horizontal dimensions.

Why a window, vs an insulated door? I knew a remodeler who used to finish
drywalling a room, then invite the homeowner in and ask "Now where do you
want the doors and windows?" while starting his chainsaw.

Nick

Harry K

Nathan Gant wrote:
I bought a house last year that had a permit pulled for an enclosed

garage.
Working garage-door opener is functional, but rarely if ever used

today.
This area is now used as a very large utility room, xtra fridge,

storage,
ect.

I am interested in converting most of this area into a small 3rd

bedroom
(currently house has 2 beds/2 baths). Is this feasible and at what

point
would it be cost-effective (in long-term valuation of home, home is

45 yrs.
old, concrete block&stucco, and has about 40 years of remaining life
expectancy according to insurance papers)?

Feasible? Yes very.
Cost effective? That depends on you. If you are planning to hold onto
it for many years and need the room of course it is.

Before proceeding draw up some roungh plans: what are you going to do
with the door, what doors/windows will you install, wiring? Lighting?
All that has to be approved by the building inspector. He will be
wanting to see at least some of that before he will issue a permit.
Yes you need a permit.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Why a window, vs an insulated door?

Check your local code. A door may be allowed. If so it will have to be
inward opening.

Most bedrooms do not have doors to the outside. A friend built a house and
wanted a spiral staircase. He was allowed because the upstairs bedroom had
a French door to a deck and a regular staircase to the ground. The existing
door with a motor drive would probably not be allowed as it could fail,
trapping the occupant.

Nathan Gant

The working auto. garage door, motor, chain, ect. will have to come down,
may I could sell most of it on ebay for $100 bucks.

Yes, I'm planning on living in the house for a long time.

My brother is a licensed Gen. Contractor, so I think he would be helpful for
permits with the critical stuff - wiring, lighting, framing, ect. Thanks
for the tip about adding a door here, local builiding codes may address
this. A window would probably be the most practical option for me in any
case.

This is of course a big job so I need to prepare for all the work ahead of
time. Any idea of costs per square foot for adding another bedroom? I live
in central Florida area.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news