chris thame

Default Garage into sitting room

This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.
Alan

"chris thame" wrote in message
This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

My in-laws have a dining room that was once a garage. In my opinion it's a
poor result because it's a long thin room, and quite dark because the window
is at the end. Ideally, it could do with being at least 1' wider and have a
window on the long wall also.

Also factor in plastering, and if the existing external walls are not cavity
walls you'll need to either add a 2nd layer of bricks to create a cavity, or
clad & insulate the inside - not sure of the building regs here, but someone
will know and put me straight.

Personally, I'd rather have the garage!

Alan.

Owain

chris thame wrote:
This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

AIUI you will need planning permission as it constitutes change of use.
The council may be reluctant to grant permission unless you can show you
still have acceptable off-street parking without the garage. Even if you
don't need PP you should get a Certificate of Permitted Development, to
prove that you don't need PP.

You will then need Building Regs approval, including bringing the garage
up to current insulation levels, which might be difficult given it
probably has an uninsulated concrete floor. You should include in your B
Regs approval electric wiring, as that will allow you to DIY that whilst
remaining in compliance with Part Pee.

Owain

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Owain writes:

AIUI you will need planning permission as it constitutes change of use.
The council may be reluctant to grant permission unless you can show you
still have acceptable off-street parking without the garage.

My neighbours had permission rejected because of this.
The council has a rule about number of parking spaces
required based on number of bedrooms. Neighbours built
a large conservatory instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Hall

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:19:21 +0100, chris thame
wrote:

This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start?

You could talk to a local architect who does plans for extensions and
ask for help.

Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs?

If you mean planning permission, then yes you will. One key issue to
a lot of local authorities is whether this reduces the off road
parking unacceptably. If it means more cars on the public road then
you may get a refusal.

You will also have to involve building control at the local authority
because they take care that required safety and other building
standards are met if you are making a habitable room.

I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

chris thame wrote:
This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

If you do it legitimately with PP and BC, theyll want it more or less
rebuilt. Foundations will need to go in, the floor will need to be
insulated the wall type changes to cavity, etc etc.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

If you do it legitimately with PP and BC, theyll want it more or less
rebuilt. Foundations will need to go in, the floor will need to be
insulated the wall type changes to cavity, etc etc.

Surely this would depend on whether it's an internal type or external 'add
on'?

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

wrote in message
ups.com...
chris thame wrote:
This is my first diy project. The most Ive tackled is painting and
decorating. I need to change my garage of my semi into a mutli
functional room. Where the hell do I start? Do I need planning and
has anyone who has done this any idea of costs? I just need the
basics done like the garage door taken off, bricked up and a window
put it. Im sure I can manage the rest even though I am a woman! I'd
be grateful for any advice.

If you do it legitimately with PP and BC, theyll want it more or less
rebuilt. Foundations will need to go in, the floor will need to be
insulated the wall type changes to cavity, etc etc.

Who told you that. They will most likely want 2 to 3 layers of Synthaproof
on the floor and up the walls to about 1 foot above. You can install a
wooden suspended floor with insulation under and stud walls inside with
insulation behind. Insulation in the loft space. They may want a window,
but a glass door may be enough. That is it. Cavities? Rebuild?
Foundations? I can hold a car for God's sake. Planning have nothing to do
with it, only BC.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Still cant figure out what you mean

NT

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Join the rest of humanity then.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Surely this would depend on whether it's an internal type or external
'add on'?

Still cant figure out what you mean

Many modern semis have built in garages - often adjoining - where both the
walls and foundations will be the same as the main house. A garage which
is simply an addition to the side of the house may - or likely not - be
built to the same standard.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
If you do it legitimately with PP and BC, theyll want it more or less
rebuilt. Foundations will need to go in, the floor will need to be
insulated the wall type changes to cavity, etc etc.

Who told you that. They will most likely want 2 to 3 layers of
Synthaproof on the floor and up the walls to about 1 foot above. You
can install a wooden suspended floor with insulation under and stud
walls inside with insulation behind. Insulation in the loft space.
They may want a window, but a glass door may be enough. That is it.
Cavities? Rebuild? Foundations? I can hold a car for God's sake.
Planning have nothing to do with it, only BC.

Yet again our resident ****** shows no knowledge of even the basics.

Any fool knows that to do this sort of conversion you ask the requisite
authority. Unless a cowboy.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:

If you do it legitimately with PP and BC, theyll want it more or less
rebuilt. Foundations will need to go in, the floor will need to be
insulated the wall type changes to cavity, etc etc.

Who told you that. They will most likely want 2 to 3 layers of
Synthaproof on the floor and up the walls to about 1 foot above. You
can install a wooden suspended floor with insulation under and stud
walls inside with insulation behind. Insulation in the loft space.
They may want a window, but a glass door may be enough. That is it.
Cavities? Rebuild? Foundations? I can hold a car for God's sake.
Planning have nothing to do with it, only BC.

............after a hard days cabering and swing the axe to ensure full
supply...he repeatedly pulls down his bottom lip with forefinger and makes
blur, blur, blur noises........

Yet again

....I did snip the resulting, blur, blur for your convenience.....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Tim Lamb

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article .com,
wrote:
Surely this would depend on whether it's an internal type or external
'add on'?

Still cant figure out what you mean

Many modern semis have built in garages - often adjoining - where both the
walls and foundations will be the same as the main house. A garage which
is simply an addition to the side of the house may - or likely not - be
built to the same standard.

It would be sensible to check the original planning consent. Where *on-
street* parking is an issue there may be a restriction on such a
conversion.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Doctor Evil drivelled:

...........after a hard days cabering and swing the axe to ensure

full
supply...he repeatedly pulls down his bottom lip with forefinger and

makes
blur, blur, blur noises........

...I did snip the resulting, blur, blur for your convenience.....

thanks for a mature, informative, grown up reply. Really useful, and
really demands max respect. From 4 year olds.

NT

In message , Doctor Evil
writes
Who told you that. They will most likely want 2 to 3 layers of
Synthaproof on the floor and up the walls to about 1 foot above. You
can install a wooden suspended floor with insulation under and stud
walls inside with insulation behind. Insulation in the loft space.
They may want a window, but a glass door may be enough. That is it.
Cavities? Rebuild? Foundations? I can hold a car for God's sake.
Planning have nothing to do with it, only BC.

...........after a hard days cabering and swing the axe to ensure full
supply...he repeatedly pulls down his bottom lip with forefinger and makes
blur, blur, blur noises........

Yet again

...I did snip the resulting, blur, blur for your convenience.....

Well said that man

You are an inspiration to us all

--
dIMM
Tony Bryer

In article , Doctor Evil wrote:
Planning have nothing to do with it, only BC.

More than a few planning permissions granted in the last decade or two
have conditions preventing the use of the garage being changed.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

In article , chris thame
writes
Thanks for all your replies - youve all been a great help. Obviously
not as simple as I thought. The garage is part of the house - a
typical chalet style semi. I am luckly enough to have parking for at
least 8 cars on my front and my neighbour next door but one has
already converted hers to a sitting room. (Not very helpful though)
I'll crack on and get some prices. Thanks once again.l

We had an integral garage in a chalet style house, as such the walls
were already supporting the house above so it was not a problem to
integrate it as a conversion which is what a number of people did just
by bricking up the front and adding a window. The floor already had a
DPM so this just needed screeding to make the floor right and the walls
had to be plastered. The conversions made the houses warmer because the
insulation between the rooms above and the garage below was never that
good. Someone else mentioned the shape of the room, its worth putting in
as large a window as possible to get light to the back of the room.

--
David
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
We had an integral garage in a chalet style house, as such the walls
were already supporting the house above so it was not a problem to
integrate it as a conversion which is what a number of people did just
by bricking up the front and adding a window. The floor already had a
DPM so this just needed screeding to make the floor right and the walls
had to be plastered. The conversions made the houses warmer because the
insulation between the rooms above and the garage below was never that
good. Someone else mentioned the shape of the room, its worth putting in
as large a window as possible to get light to the back of the room.

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an average
car anyway.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an average
car anyway.

People put cars in garages?

There's posh!

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an average
car anyway.

People put cars in garages?

There's posh!

My parents haven't been able to get a car in their double garage since
they moved house 20 years ago

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an average
car anyway.

People put cars in garages?

There's posh!

My parents haven't been able to get a car in their double garage since
they moved house 20 years ago

Why should they want to? I mean, you wouldn't put your car in the kitchen or
dining room would you? A garage is for making and mending and storing static
machinery!

And chairs which need mending and model aeroplanes and part built boats and

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an average
car anyway.

People put cars in garages?

There's posh!

My parents haven't been able to get a car in their double garage since
they moved house 20 years ago

Why should they want to? I mean, you wouldn't put your car in the kitchen or
dining room would you? A garage is for making and mending and storing static
machinery!

And chairs which need mending and model aeroplanes and part built boats and

.... And beer and wine and ...

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

Yup. And most of these built in garages are too small to take an
average
car anyway.

People put cars in garages?

There's posh!

My parents haven't been able to get a car in their double garage since
they moved house 20 years ago

Why should they want to? I mean, you wouldn't put your car in the kitchen
or
dining room would you? A garage is for making and mending and storing
static
machinery!

And chairs which need mending and model aeroplanes and part built boats
and

... And beer and wine

Oh no, beer under the stairs, wine under the bed except the really good
stuff which is in the bomb hole.

Mary