Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Venting enclosed room ?

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:29:31 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:35:46 -0400, "James" no

wrote:

We do have electricity. There is no way to exclude the mice. We
know from 30 years experience.
The wall mounted exhaust fan may be a good idea...

Yes, you are correct that the odd window should not matter on this
cabin, as we have no neighbors...

James
The window route is cheaper than the fan route in the long run, and
more effective. As for the Mice, get a good ultrasonic pest repellant
unit and run it "wide open" when you are not there. They DO work.
At my brother's trailer he had a real infestation, and 2 weeks after
he installed the "noise maker" the traps were empty..

If you decide to go with a fan, there are wall-mount (through the
wall) fans as well as ceiling fans that can be vented out the side -
the wall-mounts tend to be "colder" - ie - they leak more air.

They are also, generally, more effective (larger)

A fan could be left running constantly regardless whether it was
raining, or whatever, while a window might need to be closed - and the
fan could be set on a timer to run for a short while every day even
when you are not there - while for security reasons a window would
need to be closed.

Just a few things to think about.

Hi,
My vote is for a window which will give extra light as well.
If thru wall fan with louver is installed, better find a quiet type.
My cabin has that mouse chaser and never had mouse problem.

How much do those ultrasonic mouse chasers cost? Is there a brand and
model anyone can recommend? And do they drive dogs crazy? It is starting
to get cold here, and I'm dreading the annual battle with the field mice
looking for a warm winter home. (Pretty sure I know where they are
getting in, but I can't do anything about it till I feel rich enough to
tear out and replace the deck and some of the siding. No access.) I was
thinking to put one high up in that part of the basement, or maybe in
the cabinet under kitchen sink. I don't have a dog, but my neighbor 30
feet away does.

Black and Decker makes one - Just don't put it in a hot attic - put
mine in daughter's attic to chase squirrels out and the Piezo
transducer blew. I had to replace it (that's the 'squawker")

Doesn't seem to bother cats and dogs too much, daughter's cat didn't
mind at all. It has 3 "patterns" and 3 volume settings. Set to low
when in residence, and shift to high when you leave.

Mine is a model 745-wb
Made by Applica Consumer Products, 3633 Flamingo Road, Miramar Florida
33027
1-800-231-9786

(actually made for them in China)
Marketed by Black and Decker.