Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floetrol -- no instructions to shake before adding

Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I
saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found
that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on
the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be
shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the
first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I
saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found
that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on
the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be
shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the
first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?

Do you know of _any_ coating product that isn't stirred before using???

As for the effect, you simply got some of the carrier w/o much of the
ingredients; it'll have no effect.

Floetrol is, of course, recommended at absolute bare minimum (and is
rarely actually _required_) by ever paint manufacturer I'm aware of.
Paint's much like motor oil--if it needed additional additives, they
would have put them in the paint to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:34:08 -0500, dpb wrote:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Perhaps - but MAN, does it make a difference!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:22:15 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I
saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found
that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on
the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be
shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the
first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?

Perce

You need to read the label better.
Right under the orange/pink "swoosh" on the front of the container
about 2/3 way down the black text, right above the "keep from
freezing", in BOLD black print it says very clearly "shake well before
using"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have three jugs of Floetrol. Two of them have labels of the same
design; the third one is different.

I had used one of the first two jugs. On the front is written:

"Trusted by professionals"

Flood logo

"Floetrol"

"Latex Paint Additive
Additivo Para Pintura Latex

Enriches paint's performance
Improves application and appearance
Makes painting easier

1 U.S. Gallon 3.78 Liters"

That is all.

On the back in small non-bold print under the table showing how much to
use is "Keep from freezing"

Nothing about shaking.

On the front of the other jug is written (apart from the Flood logo and
the name Floetrol):

"Enhances Acrylic Paint to Work in Any Condition

Realza la pintura acrilica para trabajar en cualquier tipo de condición

Produce beautiful results -- even on trim
Formulated to eliminate brush marks
Makes painting easier

3.785 LITERS ONE U.S. Gallon
3.78 LITROS UN GALON U.S."

Again nothing about shaking.

This jug has "PROTECT FROM FREEZING" in bold print on the back at the
end of the Limited Warranty statement. Nothing anywhere in bold or
non-bold print about shaking.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:22*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I
saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found
that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on
the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be
shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the
first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?

Perce

Ummm, none at all. HOWEVER, you did add ALL the floetrol to ALL the
paint/primer/whatever and mixed it all up together in enough quantity
for the ENTIRE project, right? If not, then DUH! you're screwed. Just
like if you mixed two colors of paint together without mixing them up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You know, I am sixty years old, and I have always shaken milk before
pouring. I know it is all homogenized and all that stuff, but it makes me
just feel better to do this.

I know that shaking varnishes and clear stuff makes bubbles. But for most
everything else, I shake.

Except Dr. Pepper, that is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:54:09 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

[...]

Obviously different containers in different areas or different times.
How old is the stuff?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

I would say that anyone who used the product in such a manner should hang up
their paint brush immediately. How many seconds does it take to shake
contents to assure mixing?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had these jugs a few months, I suppose. I looked at the image of
the package on the Flood Web site and saw yet another different design
and a bright orange jug compared to the light tan ones I have -- but
with no sign of the "Protect from freezing" and "Shake before using"
wording on the front label.

Perce

Painting doors & Floetrol Jean Home Repair 13 July 4th 19 12:30 PM
Add Floetrol to *exterior* latex paint? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 2 June 22nd 08 12:34 AM
shake retrofit peter Home Repair 0 November 24th 05 03:37 PM
How can one shake a well? dean Home Repair 4 October 22nd 05 03:41 PM