Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Add Floetrol to *exterior* latex paint?

The Flood Web site (and the painting tips pamphlet I picked up from the
store) mentions Floetrol only for *interior* latex paints. But the stuff
they mention for *exterior* latex (EB-Emulsa Bond) seems to be only to
deal with chalky surfaces. If I pressure-wash and scrape the exterior
surfaces before painting, is there any reason to use EB-Emulsa Bond
rather than Floetrol?

BTW, I see that Flood is now owned by Akzo-Nobel, the same Dutch company
that owns Glidden.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The Flood Web site (and the painting tips pamphlet I picked up from
the store) mentions Floetrol only for *interior* latex paints. But the
stuff they mention for *exterior* latex (EB-Emulsa Bond) seems to be
only to deal with chalky surfaces. If I pressure-wash and scrape the
exterior surfaces before painting, is there any reason to use
EB-Emulsa Bond rather than Floetrol?

BTW, I see that Flood is now owned by Akzo-Nobel, the same Dutch
company that owns Glidden.

Perce

From looking at the Flood website, it looks like Emulsa Bond has an
entirely different purpose, being to paint chalky/dusty surface without
primer. I have seen Floetrol recommended only to thin paint for sprayer
application. I used Floetrol's cousin, Penetrol, for spraying alkyd
paint; worked like magic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Emulsa-Bond is perfect for painting over gloss and semi-gloss paints
as well as chalky paint. It eats into the emulsion of the old paint
and gives the new stuff something to bite into.