Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Floetrol -- no instructions to shake before adding

"SteveB" wrote in
:

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the
topcoat I saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and
shook it and found that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have
read the instructions on the jug carefully and have found no
indication that it needs to be shaken or stirred before using. I no
more thought of shaking it the first time than I would have thought
of shaking mineral spirits or lacquer thinner before adding them to
the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the
primer?

Do you know of _any_ coating product that isn't stirred before
using???

As for the effect, you simply got some of the carrier w/o much of the
ingredients; it'll have no effect.

Floetrol is, of course, recommended at absolute bare minimum (and is
rarely actually _required_) by ever paint manufacturer I'm aware of.
Paint's much like motor oil--if it needed additional additives, they
would have put them in the paint to begin with.

Perhaps - but MAN, does it make a difference!!!!!!

You know, I am sixty years old, and I have always shaken milk before
pouring. I know it is all homogenized and all that stuff, but it
makes me just feel better to do this.

I know that shaking varnishes and clear stuff makes bubbles. But for
most everything else, I shake.

Except Dr. Pepper, that is.

Steve

Spirits?