Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Floetrol -- no instructions to shake before adding

wrote:

Last week I added Floetrol to a pail of primer before spraying with it.
All I saw as I poured it from the jug was clear liquid.

Today as I started to pour Floetrol from the same jug into the topcoat I
saw some white streaks in it. I replaced the cap and shook it and found
that the Floetrol was now a milky color. I have read the instructions on
the jug carefully and have found no indication that it needs to be
shaken or stirred before using. I no more thought of shaking it the
first time than I would have thought of shaking mineral spirits or
lacquer thinner before adding them to the appropriate finish.

What is the possible effect of the unshaken Floetrol I added to the primer?

You need to read the label better.
Right under the orange/pink "swoosh" on the front of the container
about 2/3 way down the black text, right above the "keep from
freezing", in BOLD black print it says very clearly "shake well before
using"

I have three jugs of Floetrol. Two of them have labels of the same
design; the third one is different.

I had used one of the first two jugs. On the front is written:

"Trusted by professionals"

Flood logo

"Floetrol"

"Latex Paint Additive
Additivo Para Pintura Latex

Enriches paint's performance
Improves application and appearance
Makes painting easier

1 U.S. Gallon 3.78 Liters"

That is all.

On the back in small non-bold print under the table showing how much to
use is "Keep from freezing"

Nothing about shaking.

On the front of the other jug is written (apart from the Flood logo and
the name Floetrol):

"Enhances Acrylic Paint to Work in Any Condition

Realza la pintura acrilica para trabajar en cualquier tipo de condiciĆ³n

Produce beautiful results -- even on trim
Formulated to eliminate brush marks
Makes painting easier

3.785 LITERS ONE U.S. Gallon
3.78 LITROS UN GALON U.S."

Again nothing about shaking.

This jug has "PROTECT FROM FREEZING" in bold print on the back at the
end of the Limited Warranty statement. Nothing anywhere in bold or
non-bold print about shaking.

Obviously different containers in different areas or different times.
How old is the stuff?

I've had these jugs a few months, I suppose. I looked at the image of
the package on the Flood Web site and saw yet another different design
and a bright orange jug compared to the light tan ones I have -- but
with no sign of the "Protect from freezing" and "Shake before using"
wording on the front label.

Perce