Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall over plaster ceiling

I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 1:28*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. *(note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. *I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. *Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H

What will the drywall be fastened into, the lath behind the plaster?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2009 11:28 AM Heathcliff spake thus:

I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.

Yes, and no need to use 1/2" drywall. Get the 1/4" stuff; much easier to
work with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/20/2009 11:28 AM Heathcliff spake thus:

I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.

Yes, and no need to use 1/2" drywall. Get the 1/4" stuff; much easier to
work with.

This is sarcasm, right? Or have you never tried to use 1/4"
overhead? I'm old & weak but wouldn't use anything less than 1/2"
on a ceiling. [and I doubt I'd try to make it look good over
anything but a really good lathe/plaster ceiling. One that was so
good I'd likely just patch it anyway] I've always used 2x4 deadmen
& worked alone-- maybe a crew and sheetrock lift would make1/4"
feasible.

If the OP is calling a pro-- then hopefully the pro will talk him out
of foolishness-- and it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H

It will work fine if the dw is screwed to ceiling joists. Some future
potential problems if it is only screwed to the lath.

It is quite often easier to add cheap furring strips across the joists at a
perfect 16" OC so that the seams all line up properly with the drywall. The
1.25" will never be missed. Back in those days 16" OC was approximate.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2009 12:59 PM Jim Elbrecht spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Read the OP's message again, carefully. This is going over an existing
plaster ceiling; stained, but presumably otherwise in good condition. So
why would you *not* want to use 1/4" drywall? By the way, I have done
this, and it works fine.

And also by the way, it's "lath". Lathe is a rotary machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 10/20/2009 12:59 PM Jim Elbrecht spake thus:

Read the OP's message again, carefully. This is going over an existing
plaster ceiling; stained, but presumably otherwise in good condition. So
why would you *not* want to use 1/4" drywall? By the way, I have done
this, and it works fine.

Price the stuff out. 1/4 cost way more than 1/2 or 3/8. Plus the hassle of
getting it up there without breaking it.

No way I would use 1/4 on a ceiling and I can't lift crap anymore.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:28:44 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H

I see nothing wrong doing this. You may need to reset the ceiling
light electrical box such that the edge comes to the ceiling surface,
or buy an electrical extension. Also, find the joists. Ceiling
drywall needs more screws than when installed on a wall. Strange as
it may be, drywall has a "grain" and is stronger lengthwise than
crosswise. I've done drywall ceilings, it is not difficult, stilts
help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I left the whole thing so *you* could" Read the OP's message again,
carefully.".

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Except for the "cracked, etc." part. If it was just stained, I'm
guessing he'd paint it.

So
why would you *not* want to use 1/4" drywall? By the way, I have done
this, and it works fine.

Aside from the extra cost, it is damn near impossible to work with
because it breaks so easy. It is also a lot more unforgiving when
going over a less than perfect backer- nails pull through- it waves.

And also by the way, it's "lath". Lathe is a rotary machine.

So shoot me.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Probably a dumb idea, but..........

would you consider another layer of plaster instead?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 6:03*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I've done drywall ceilings, it is not difficult, stilts
help.

I wouldn't recommend stilts for a DIYer first-timer. He'll put his
eye out.*

*Jean Shepard reference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:55:58 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 20, 6:03*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I've done drywall ceilings, it is not difficult, stilts
help.

I wouldn't recommend stilts for a DIYer first-timer. He'll put his
eye out.*

No but it is fun to watch two "drywallers" run a 40 yard dash at
lunch time with stilts on.

BTDT, saw it first hand...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H

a heavy coat of knockdown texture works well also. Then paint with
semigloss white. They look beautiful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 10/23/2009 11:30 AM Dymphna spake thus:

You could take 2x4's and make a frame for the drywall to be screwed
into.

True , but if you're going through all that you might as well rip down the
old ceiling and do it right...

Sure, but why in the world would you want to do that when furring strips
(1x2x) would be more than sufficient?

No...As the old plaster ceiling continues to fall apart structually
underneath the new drywall the load could get quite heavy...Besides
strapping will follow the sags in the old ceiling....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 9:38*pm, "benick" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/23/2009 11:30 AM Dymphna spake thus:

You could take 2x4's and make a frame for the drywall to be screwed
into.

True , but if you're going through all that you might as well rip down the
old ceiling and do it right...

Sure, but why in the world would you want to do that when furring strips
(1x2x) would be more than sufficient?

No...As the old plaster ceiling continues to fall apart structurally
underneath the new drywall the load could get quite heavy...Besides
strapping will follow the sags in the old ceiling....

Comment about ripping down the old?

1) In favour of the motion: Get rid of rough surface, unevenness,
possibly sagging etc. Easier to screw/nail brand new drywall ceiling
to correctly spaced furring strips etc. It may also be possible/
advantageous to install vapour barrier and/heat or sound insulation?
2) Against the motion. Don't know what's up there over the ceiling.
Old dirt and insulation may fall through and need replacing/upgrading.
Major mess and clean up to tear down ceiling. More 'stuff' to get rid
of. More time and cost? Any existing electrical fixtures/wiring in
ceiling may need slight modification?

Th discussion about what thickness drywall to use to ensure a flat/
smooth good looking job would seem rather minor; especially if
professionals with all the right gear are going to do the work and can
recommend .

Good luck with project.

Attaching 1/4" or 3/8" Drywall to Horsehair Plaster Ceiling (No Wood) [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 22nd 07 01:40 AM
Plaster or drywall? Dave Baker UK diy 4 July 26th 07 12:59 AM
Drywall over cracked plaster? Peter De Smidt Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 11:02 AM
Hanging drywall ceiling from plaster walls Ray Home Repair 2 April 28th 04 01:52 AM
overlaying drywall over plaster ceiling Joseph Meehan Home Repair 3 August 2nd 03 03:25 AM