Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall over plaster ceiling

On 10/20/2009 12:59 PM Jim Elbrecht spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/20/2009 11:28 AM Heathcliff spake thus:

I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. (note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.

Yes, and no need to use 1/2" drywall. Get the 1/4" stuff; much
easier to work with.

This is sarcasm, right? Or have you never tried to use 1/4"
overhead? I'm old & weak but wouldn't use anything less than 1/2"
on a ceiling. [and I doubt I'd try to make it look good over
anything but a really good lathe/plaster ceiling. One that was so
good I'd likely just patch it anyway] I've always used 2x4 deadmen
& worked alone-- maybe a crew and sheetrock lift would make1/4"
feasible.

Read the OP's message again, carefully. This is going over an existing
plaster ceiling; stained, but presumably otherwise in good condition. So
why would you *not* want to use 1/4" drywall? By the way, I have done
this, and it works fine.

And also by the way, it's "lath". Lathe is a rotary machine.