Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default drywall over plaster ceiling

On Oct 20, 6:03*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:28:44 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff

wrote:
I have a couple rooms where the old plaster ceilings are stained,
cracked, etc. - I am thinking the easiest thing to do might be to just
have a layer of drywall put over them. *(note - yes I have fixed the
roof leak that led to the stains etc.) There's no cove molding or
anything to worry about; I think the half inch less headroom would not
be an issue. *I'll probably have pros do it and just do the painting
myself. *Just wondering if anyone has done this, did it work OK, etc.
-- H

I see nothing wrong doing this. *You may need to reset the ceiling
light electrical box such that the edge comes to the ceiling surface,
or buy an electrical extension. * Also, find the joists. *Ceiling
drywall needs more screws than when installed on a wall. *Strange as
it may be, drywall has a "grain" and is stronger lengthwise than
crosswise. *I've done drywall ceilings, it is not difficult, stilts
help.

Probably a dumb idea, but..........

would you consider another layer of plaster instead?