Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Simple generator transfer switch

I have been finding online $100 6-breaker transfer switches for the
inside (1 240v and 4 120v). The obvious drawback is that after the
well pump, fridge and heating I am limited to choosing only two rooms
to have lights and it costs a lot to have installed. My lighting is
very low watts so I don't want to be stuck in two rooms during a long
outage and I have been getting some prices around $350 to install the
box.

I would think that there should be a very simple switch out there that
interrupts the line outside before the breaker panel and transfers the
entire house over to the generator input and it would be at a
reasonable price and resonable cost to instal since it is just one
split. I can't seem to find a device like this anywhere.

In the $100 6 breaker box your getting the box and 6 breakers. In the
100 amp switches that I have been able to fine there is only one 100
amp switch and the unit costs $400. Does what I am looking for
exists? Why are these 100 amp switches I am finding cost so much for
so little?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:07�am, Jordan wrote:
[...]

expensive because its a low demand low production device......

price would drop if everyone needed one
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
[...]

The type of generator transfer switch you are referring to must be equal to
or greater than the size of your main service disconnect. They are neither
cheap to buy or cheap to install. Depending upon the size of your generator,
you can buy the type of circuit breaker transfer switches in larger sizes
than six circuits. You can also get a panel specific transfer device, that
allows you to use the existing main panel, as the transfer switch. These
cost $150 and will require some drilling of the panel cover to install, as
well as the addition of a double pole circuit breaker, and wiring to the
generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 10:07*am, Jordan wrote:
[...]

The kit I got I installed and it took about a day with a helper, the
longest part was drilling a hole outside. Generac has a prewired kit
complete with cables, plugs and exterior box for about 200. If you
need power a 6 or 8 circuit box is the way to go
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

http://www.interlockkit.com/ is about as simple as you can get and have all
of your circuits available to generator power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jordan" wrote in message
In the $100 6 breaker box your getting the box and 6 breakers. In the
100 amp switches that I have been able to fine there is only one 100
amp switch and the unit costs $400. Does what I am looking for
exists? Why are these 100 amp switches I am finding cost so much for
so little?

That is your perception, but when you get into larger capacities, the cost
goes way up. I've seen 200A breakers for over $400. Unlike the typical
house breaker of 15A or 20A, the big stuff is smaller volume, takes more
time to assemble, has more critical components, etc. Same with big
switches. Get into the 100A range and $300 and up is the norm for a NEMA
switch. A 200A 4 wire can be over $1000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

This is a very very cool product. I
just built a house with a separate
generator panel. I wish the electrician
would have known about this
product. Cheaper and better, as you can
select which circuits you
want powered up. And it is UL approved
to boot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Simple, for sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

http://www.interlockkit.com/ is about as simple as you
can get and have all
of your circuits available to generator power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

Easy to install, reliable, safe. This is what I would use.

--
bud--