Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Simple generator transfer switch

John Grabowski wrote:

I have been finding online $100 6-breaker transfer switches for the
inside (1 240v and 4 120v). The obvious drawback is that after the
well pump, fridge and heating I am limited to choosing only two rooms
to have lights and it costs a lot to have installed. My lighting is
very low watts so I don't want to be stuck in two rooms during a long
outage and I have been getting some prices around $350 to install the
box.

I would think that there should be a very simple switch out there that
interrupts the line outside before the breaker panel and transfers the
entire house over to the generator input and it would be at a
reasonable price and resonable cost to instal since it is just one
split. I can't seem to find a device like this anywhere.

In the $100 6 breaker box your getting the box and 6 breakers. In the
100 amp switches that I have been able to fine there is only one 100
amp switch and the unit costs $400. Does what I am looking for
exists? Why are these 100 amp switches I am finding cost so much for
so little?

The type of generator transfer switch you are referring to must be
equal to or greater than the size of your main service disconnect.
They are neither cheap to buy or cheap to install. Depending upon the
size of your generator, you can buy the type of circuit breaker
transfer switches in larger sizes than six circuits. You can also get
a panel specific transfer device, that allows you to use the existing
main panel, as the transfer switch. These cost $150 and will require
some drilling of the panel cover to install, as well as the addition
of a double pole circuit breaker, and wiring to the generator.

http://www.interlockkit.com/ is about as simple as you can get and have
all of your circuits available to generator power.

This is a very very cool product. I
just built a house with a separate
generator panel. I wish the electrician
would have known about this