Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint anodized aluminum?

My sliding patio door screens are unsightly and would probably benefit from
a coat of paint. The frames are made of almost-black-bronze anodized
aluminum. They are not damaged except for some scratches and unsightly
discolorations after 25 years of use and exposure.

I will be replacing the screening material after I have painted the frames.

Can I use canned spray paint (black is OK) to paint anodized aluminum? Any
better suggestions?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Walter R." wrote in message
My sliding patio door screens are unsightly and would probably benefit
from a coat of paint. The frames are made of almost-black-bronze anodized
aluminum. They are not damaged except for some scratches and unsightly
discolorations after 25 years of use and exposure.

I will be replacing the screening material after I have painted the
frames.

Can I use canned spray paint (black is OK) to paint anodized aluminum? Any
better suggestions?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Hello Walter... Aluminum is a bitch to paint as it has an oxidized
surface that is hard to penetrate without heat etc...you'll need an aluminum
primer before going at the final colour...lots of mucking around.....
However, another product for aluminum is called "Aluminum black"... It
comes in a paste form and is used for aluminum gun parts. It is more durable
than any paint in my opinion. Would have to get it at a gunsmith store or
here is a link::

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...t=5&prodcat=79
Hope that helps... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 4:31*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...ategoryID=1&su....
Hope that helps... Jim- Hide quoted text -

As having painted 20 years as a pro and done to many houses and
aluminum storms all I can say is aluminum is the easiest thing to
paint and have last, it doesnt expand like or contact like wood or
rust like steel. Clean well with soap, a plastic scouring pad works
well. Use a top latex like Ben Moore Aura and a primer isnt needed. 2
places I have where I painted my aluminum storms in the 80s and they
are not peeling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 5:31*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

That's probably an excellent way to refinish the screen door frames.
Simple to apply, no build up and specifically made to coat aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

Gotta agree; same experience here. The metal wore out from use, but
the paint job was perfectly fine after aoubt 18 years when I replaced
them. I've painted a lot of aluminim in the shop where I use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

For mill-finish, maybe. OPs frames are anodized.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
My sliding patio door screens are unsightly and would probably

benefit from
a coat of paint. The frames are made of almost-black-bronze

anodized
aluminum. They are not damaged except for some scratches and

unsightly
discolorations after 25 years of use and exposure.

I will be replacing the screening material after I have painted

the frames.

Can I use canned spray paint (black is OK) to paint anodized

aluminum? Any
better suggestions?

Thanks
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Just refinished a sliding screen door frame with a similar
problem and screen rot.
It had dark Brown/Bronze annodized finish with some finish
problems.

I used a spray paint product (? name can't remember?) from ACE
that was practically a match for the finish.

I do not see it on ACE's web site but it was a spray paint that
said something like dark bronze annodized aluminum finish. It
was meant to touch up those outdoor products that have that dark
brown annodized finish {eg. lamp posts, walkway lights, screen
frames, etc }

It worked well and had an almost plastic/teflon feel to it when
it dried.

hth
robb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message

[...]

I couldn't find the instructions for the Birchwood Casey stuff, but
the description tends to make me think you can use it on anodized
aluminum.

"The room temperature chemical used by gunsmiths and industry to
blacken aluminum parts. Restores scratched and marred areas quickly.
Fast-acting liquid is easy to apply with no dimensional change. Color
will vary from deep gray to black depending on alloy. ALUMINUM BLACK
Metal Finish is also excellent for blackening name plates, plaques,
trophies and other engraved items "

That last sentence is the clincher for me. Engraved name plates used
to be brass, now they're mostly aluminum - anodized aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, Robb, that probably what I need.

Did you do any prep work, like priming?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net