Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Paint anodized aluminum?

On Oct 13, 5:31*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

My sliding patio door screens are unsightly and would probably benefit
from a coat of paint. The frames are made of almost-black-bronze anodized
aluminum. They are not damaged except for some scratches and unsightly
discolorations after 25 years of use and exposure.

I will be replacing the screening material after I have painted the
frames.

Can I use canned spray paint (black is OK) to paint anodized aluminum? Any
better suggestions?

* *Hello Walter... *Aluminum is a bitch to paint as it has an oxidized
surface that is hard to penetrate without heat etc...you'll need an aluminum
primer before going at the final colour...lots of mucking around.....
However, *another product for aluminum is called "Aluminum black"... It
comes in a paste form and is used for aluminum gun parts. It is more durable
than any paint in my opinion. Would have to get it at a gunsmith store or
here is a link::

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...ategoryID=1&su....
Hope that helps... Jim

That's probably an excellent way to refinish the screen door frames.
Simple to apply, no build up and specifically made to coat aluminum.