Default Cleaning anodized aluminum?

Hello,

I am in the process of sprucing up a classic automobile, and need some
advice about the anodized aluminum trim. The vehicle is 27 years old
and has lived by the sea (in Southern CA) for its entire life. As a
result, the anodized aluminum trim has developed a cloudy haze. Can
anybody offer any suggestions on cleaning/polishing this type of
aluminum back to its original clarity? Is the only real solution to
use a mild abrasive (Autosol or similar) metal polish to remove the
anodized layer, and then keep it laquered regularly so that corrosion
won't set in? What about products like Nevr-Dull? Any advice or
direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Joe AutoDrill

De ja vu...

Did you see my reply to the other thread?

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am in the process of sprucing up a classic automobile, and need some
advice about the anodized aluminum trim. The vehicle is 27 years old
and has lived by the sea (in Southern CA) for its entire life. As a
result, the anodized aluminum trim has developed a cloudy haze. Can
anybody offer any suggestions on cleaning/polishing this type of
aluminum back to its original clarity? Is the only real solution to
use a mild abrasive (Autosol or similar) metal polish to remove the
anodized layer, and then keep it laquered regularly so that corrosion
won't set in? What about products like Nevr-Dull? Any advice or
direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Joe AutoDrill

Only the reply posted here about the Scotchbrite pads...

Yup.

Did you mean the kitchen-grade Scotchbrite pads sold at the grocery
store, or one of their industrial products?

Industrial product...

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Then type "abrasive nylon" in the search box

Then click on "Nylon Mesh Abrasive Pads"

Then look for the different grades. There is a "white" grade out there
somewhere that polishes my polyethylene plastic guards to almost a mirror
finish... You may want to try the finest or next to finest gray silicone
carbide variety... But try it in a hidden place first! No guarantees...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

Great, thanks. There's a McMaster-Carr about 10 miles from my office
in Los Angeles, I'll drop by there and pick up some of the micro-fine
pads. Thanks for the tip!

What about after care, though? Presumably this abrasive will remove
the anodized layer so I'll have raw aluminum exposed to the elements.
If that's the case (and assuming the abrasive pads do the trick), what
can I put on it to prevent it from corroding from the oxygen and salt
air? Is maintenance going to be a problem?

Joe AutoDrill

Great, thanks. There's a McMaster-Carr about 10 miles from my office
in Los Angeles, I'll drop by there and pick up some of the micro-fine
pads. Thanks for the tip!

Why not have them ship these to you for like $5? Isn't your time worth more
than the shipping cost? For me, stuff arrives same day if ordered by 2:30
PM or so...

What about after care, though? Presumably this abrasive will remove
the anodized layer so I'll have raw aluminum exposed to the elements.
If that's the case (and assuming the abrasive pads do the trick), what
can I put on it to prevent it from corroding from the oxygen and salt
air? Is maintenance going to be a problem?

It may not remove ALL the anodizing unless you want it to. Start with a
rough pad, then fine, then extra fine to polish, etc. to accomplish this.
To protect afterwards, I'd suggest a good paste or silicone-based wax. No
need to protect the surface from a harsh wax so find the most durable stuff
you can. Usually that means the cheap stuff at the auto parts store. I
don't tell people to use it on their car because any wax with active
silicone in it seals the paint and can sause problems later on. I used to
detail vehicles for a living and have seen many cars with problems...

Race Glaze brand non-active silicone sealer is one of the best there is, but
it is hard to find and expensive. I'd go with cheap stuff for the metal and
expensive stuff for the paint. Maybe even chrome cleaner? Does chrome
cleaner have protectorants in it???

Much success to you.