Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time change due

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 3:03*am, Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Referring to change from summer to winter time. In North America?
(i.e. USA-Canada.)

Not necessarily same date or even any change at all elsewhere.

Never saw the point of this summer time business anyway.

Since these days it's a world society/economy

Right now it's about 09.45h in London, around 01.45h in Los Angeles
and about 06.15h here!

Some countries don't alter their clocks at all and some observe their
sabbath on days other than than our (western) Sunday.

So what; it's all a human inventionto fit in with the earth's rotation
in reference to the sun and seasons of the year!

If someone decided that we can all work on United Nations Time based
on say New York, or Geneva etc. so be it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:

If someone decided that we can all work on United Nations Time based
on say New York, or Geneva etc. so be it.

On United Nations' time, we wouldn't get any work done at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Red Green wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 7:30*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Red Green wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.

Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of
the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I
have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does
the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is
more connected to Washington state economically.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did

Indiana.

Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of
the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I
have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does
the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is
more connected to Washington state economically.

Harry K

I suspect that on one side of the line is Spokane and the other is Coeur
d'Alene and there is not much in idaho east of Coeur d'Alene.

Several states have 2 time zones and seems that the areas of population
density in adjacent states seem to be the reason.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:30=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Red Green postmas...=

wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.

Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of
the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I
have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does
the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is
more connected to Washington state economically.

Most likely. There are a few counties in NW Indiana that are on Central time
(the rest of the state is on Eastern) because of their proximity to Chicago.
And back when we didn't observe DST, those counties, plus a few in the
Cincinnati area, *did*, because of the economic connections to those cities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Red Green wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

Yeah, I remember finding that a bit confusing when driving through AZ some
years ago -- the time kept changing, and I didn't know why.

Hawaii also doesn't observe DST, and until quite recently neither did Indiana.

Try Idaho. I don't know what they do about DST but the south part of
the state is in Mountain time, the northern part in Pacific Time. I
have no clue as to why. The western border runs due N-S so why does
the time zone take a zig?...Perhaps economics as the northern part is
more connected to Washington state economically.

Harry K

Idaho does not exist, it's a myth. I read it in the interweb.

http://tinyurl.com/yz2hfkv

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:33:29 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Arizona in the US does not switch to DST. Yet within Arizona the Navajo
Nation does.

I didn't know THAT. If they leave the reservation they have to know
what time it is in Arizona.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stan wrote:
On Oct 11, 3:03 am, Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Referring to change from summer to winter time. In North America?
(i.e. USA-Canada.)

Not necessarily same date or even any change at all elsewhere.

Never saw the point of this summer time business anyway.

Since these days it's a world society/economy

Right now it's about 09.45h in London, around 01.45h in Los Angeles
and about 06.15h here!

Usually an hour between time zones. Is yours divided up into half hour
or 15 minute periods
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
stan wrote:
On Oct 11, 3:03 am, Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Referring to change from summer to winter time. In North America?
(i.e. USA-Canada.)

Not necessarily same date or even any change at all elsewhere.

Never saw the point of this summer time business anyway.

Since these days it's a world society/economy

Right now it's about 09.45h in London, around 01.45h in Los Angeles
and about 06.15h here!

Usually an hour between time zones. Is yours divided up into half hour
or 15 minute periods

Maybe he is actually in NJ? Years ago when Saturday Night was actually
funny the news segment had a number of clocks on the wall with NY and
other times. NJ was always (I think) 20 minutes behind everyone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

You think you get confused? At work and in real life, I have to
communicate with relatives and associates in other countries, that
change on different dates in spring and fall. A real PITA. Good thing
there are online lookups by country.

Bad enough that the planet follows this silly useless custom that saves
nothing, but they should at least agree on one set of dates worldwide to
switch back and forth.

If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get
up earlier.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get up
earlier.

I get up in the dark now so how will that get me more daylight?

The light to dark ratio changes with the season, but the start work in light
or dark is not only a function of DST, but of your place in the time zone.
Personally, I'd like to see the time shifted forward an hour, like it is in
DST, year round. If I lived at the western end of the zone, I'd probably
not care. My choice is to have the daylight time at the end of the work day,
not the beginning, but others probably differ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get up
earlier.

I get up in the dark now so how will that get me more daylight?

The light to dark ratio changes with the season, but the start work in light
or dark is not only a function of DST, but of your place in the time zone.
Personally, I'd like to see the time shifted forward an hour, like it is in
DST, year round. If I lived at the western end of the zone, I'd probably
not care. My choice is to have the daylight time at the end of the work day,
not the beginning, but others probably differ.

Well, yeah, I do understand that one person can't unilaterally change
the hours his employer is open. But that puts the onus on the employers,
schools, whatever. Change the schedules to start earlier when dawn comes
earlier, so your employees can have evening daylight to do whatever.
Pretty routine in construction down south. Crews start at first light,
to work in the cooler part of the day.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:41:27 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

It's a psychological problem -- I know ltime is just a number, but
that number is deeply ingrained in our mind -- "9 to 5", "news at 11"
(or 10), etc.

I'm a prime example -- I'm generally a night owl, and while I *love*
Daylight Saving Time for the "extra" hour of light after work, I'd
bristle angrily if my employer suggested that I come in at 7 instead
of 8 for half the year. Yes, I know it's exactly the same thing, but
I'd still have trouble with it (and often be late), and I suspect many
many others are the same. I can look at a clock that says midnight,
and know it's time to go to sleep regardless of the actual time, but
I'd have trouble looking at a clock that says 11PM and convincing
myself it was time to go to bed.

Perhaps if *everything* shifted, from TV schedules to evening classes
to store opening/closing hours...but then it's really DST again :-)

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

Josh- Hide quoted text -

OK time to float my crazy idea!
We should have one world wide time system.
So zero hours in say New York (or Zurich, Moscow, London etc.) would
also be zero hours 'everywhere' in the world.
Much simpler?
Midnight in New York is presently 01.30h in the morning here on the
east coast of Canada and 05.00h in London!
So what?
With one World Time Zone, I'd soon get used to getting up when my
clock read 05.30 instead of 07.00h, or having supper when the clock
reads 16.30h instead of 6.00 PM!
By the way it should be a 24 hour system not this weird 12 hour
division!
I notice that some people when travelling away from home will keep
their watch on 'home time' so as to keep in touch with events they are
used to. While the zone they may actually be in can be many hours
ahead or behind!
Living for while in the Middle East one was aware that early morning
(6.00 AM) North American radio broadcasts available via the inter-net
occurred at half past midday! Didn't matter what the clock said,
that's when they were available!
Flame away!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, yeah, I do understand that one person can't unilaterally change
the hours his employer is open. But that puts the onus on the employers,
schools, whatever. Change the schedules to start earlier when dawn comes
earlier, so your employees can have evening daylight to do whatever.

Well I can and did just that, but it has a downside. Used to be, I'd get up
at six, my wife got up at 6:30 and breakfast was ready when I got out of the
shower. We'd watch the news and 20 minutes of the Today show and I'd leave
for work. I decided to go in an hour earlier to be home an hour earlier.

So, what is the downside? My wife no longer gets up to make me breakfast.
Too early for her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Like the old Indian saying. Only white man think cut some
off one end of blanket and sew onto other end of blanket
make blanket longer.

What other benign edicts? Forbid bottom posting?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight
savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more
daylight? Get
up earlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

What other benign edicts? Forbid bottom posting?

Grin, actually I prefer bottom posting with clean-up (just easier to thread
and read) but I'm not worried about it. In one of my newsgroups, we have
lots of top posters because it's allowed explicitly, to support several of
our buddies in there who use screen readers for the blind. (Some screen
readers are difficult/almost impossible to position the cursor to the
bottom).

Snicker, you might possibly remember one of them (who is able to bottom post
in her case) who came to here for some expert advice on a project. She was
making a baking table with a bottom shelf over her radiator for the rising
station. It's working a charm I gather? I know she got all the plans she
needed and has referenced the bake shelf since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 07:31:46 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

You think you get confused? At work and in real life, I have to
communicate with relatives and associates in other countries, that
change on different dates in spring and fall. A real PITA. Good thing
there are online lookups by country.

You think you have it bad. I may have the math backwards and some
details wrong, but it's basically like this: A few years ago, Israel
had delayed the end of daylight saving time until the new years
holidays were over, which are spread out over almost 4 weeks in
September and October. The disputed territories were already off of
DST and Arabs there had assembled a bomb with a timer, which they gave
to someone else in Israel to plant, to murder civilians. However the
second guy was using DST, thought he had an extra hour, and both he
and the bomb were still in his car when it exploded.

Bad enough that the planet follows this silly useless custom that saves
nothing, but they should at least agree on one set of dates worldwide to
switch back and forth.

If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get
up earlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November rather
than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was introduced by the
Nixon administration.

The Spring forward date is also changed as of a few years ago to several
weeks earlier in March rather than first Sunday in April.

One effect is the kiddies now have to wait another hour to start their candy
assault on Halloween, as it still stays light until 7:00 PM. In the old
convention with end of DST in October, kiddies could start their assault at
6:00 PM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote:

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November rather
than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was introduced by the
Nixon administration.

You misspelled "Johnson" -- it was standardized nationwide in 1966.

It was also implemented, temporarily, during both WWI and WWII.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Dimitrios
Paskoudniakis" wrote:

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November
rather than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was
introduced by the Nixon administration.

You misspelled "Johnson" -- it was standardized nationwide in 1966.

It was also implemented, temporarily, during both WWI and WWII.

And was originally proposed by Ben Franklin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
news
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Since about 2-3 years ago, it is now the first Sunday in November rather
than the last Sunday in October previously since DST was introduced by
the Nixon administration.

The Spring forward date is also changed as of a few years ago to several
weeks earlier in March rather than first Sunday in April.

One effect is the kiddies now have to wait another hour to start their
candy assault on Halloween, as it still stays light until 7:00 PM. In
the old convention with end of DST in October, kiddies could start their
assault at 6:00 PM.

I have a Daylight Savings Time patch for Windows 2000 that
I use on all Win 2K installs. It's bad when the computer
has no idea what time it is.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 1:03*am, Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Just for fun...here's a little history on the subject, although it
might be bent in the direction of the group advocating the suspension
of the time change.

http://www.standardtime.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam E wrote in
:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 4:09*pm, Red Green wrote:
Sam E wrote :

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.

My cats know what time it is

Yeah...it's *their* time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:09:27 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Sam E wrote in
:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:03:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Does ANYBODY really think DST is more than a mind game?
Nobody could be that stupid :-)

My cats know what time it is...well, +/- 8.2ps anyway.

I used to know someone who fed his dog at the same time every day.
Then DST came. The dog was hungry. THE DOG HAD IT RIGHT!

BTW, this year has 13 months in it rather than the usual 14*.

* - A part of the mess that is DST.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time
it is."

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:39:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time
it is."

TDD

So do the roosters.

The last watch I had on was 7 years ago. Don't need one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time
it is."

TDD

So do the roosters.

The last watch I had on was 7 years ago. Don't need one.

I can't wear a metal watch, my sweat destroys them and I could
get zapped sticking my hand in a piece of equipment. My brother
got his metal watch and band between the positive battery terminal
and ground on a tractor we had on the farm. Got himself a nice
decorative brand.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.
Confuse me once.
An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time
it is."

TDD

So do the roosters.

The last watch I had on was 7 years ago. Don't need one.

I can't wear a metal watch, my sweat destroys them and I could
get zapped sticking my hand in a piece of equipment. My brother
got his metal watch and band between the positive battery terminal
and ground on a tractor we had on the farm. Got himself a nice
decorative brand.

TDD

They don't let me work on machinery any more, but I can't stand having
anything on my wrist, so I don't wear one. I keep a cheap Timex in my
briefcase for the very occasional days I have to be someplace on time,
and I'm hanging out in an place without clocks. It lives right next to
the pre-paid semi-disposable cell phone that I turn on to check messages
once a week (if I remember.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.
An old farmer from Main said it best. "The cows know what time
it is."

TDD

So do the roosters.

The last watch I had on was 7 years ago. Don't need one.

I can't wear a metal watch, my sweat destroys them and I could
get zapped sticking my hand in a piece of equipment. My brother
got his metal watch and band between the positive battery terminal
and ground on a tractor we had on the farm. Got himself a nice
decorative brand.

TDD

My red-headed sister could not wear a watch. They always lost time,
etc. She called it her "electrifying personality".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it is a conspiracy! They change the time in the summer so that
the politicians can get an extra hour of golf, by making them open an
hour earlier! LOL

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Hi,
Another useless American invention.
Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs
always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the
house twice a year is a chore for me. My watches are radio controlled
so it's automatic.

Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early
or late if we have to shift time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:52:13 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Oren wrote:
Q: When does the time change back in October 2009?

A: November 1st 2009.

Confuse me once.

Hi,
Another useless American invention.

It does give you an excuse to set the time right (which I always do,
not just adding or subtracting an hour) twice a year. Of course the
trouble it gives more than makes up for that.

Cows give milk always same time. Chickens lay eggs
always same time. Changing times on 10 different time pieces in the
house twice a year is a chore for me.
My watches are radio controlled
so it's automatic.

Instead of fiddling with time pieces, how about getting up 1 hour early
or late if we have to shift time.

The obvious thing to do, even on Lord Howe Island.

I'm working on a clock and countdown webpage (using PHP). Doing so
requires learning a lot about timezones and such nonsense. Lord Howe
Island (located near Australia). It observes Damn Stupid Time like a
lot of places, but it is the only one where the DST offset isn't 1
hour. It takes a couple extra lines of code just for that little
place.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

It's time to change the air in your tires Jimw Home Repair 22 January 14th 09 11:24 AM
Big problem due to time change [email protected] Home Repair 27 November 6th 07 06:44 PM
Time change chaos h Home Repair 0 November 1st 05 06:36 AM
Time change chaos Shirley Thebaglady Home Repair 8 November 1st 05 04:54 AM
Time change chaos larry Home Repair 0 October 31st 05 04:57 AM