Posted to alt.home.repair
Josh[_5_] Josh[_5_] is offline

Default Time change due

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:41:27 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
If I was benign dictator of the world, canceling daylight savings would
one of the edicts in the first couple of days. Want more daylight? Get up
earlier.

I get up in the dark now so how will that get me more daylight?

The light to dark ratio changes with the season, but the start work in light
or dark is not only a function of DST, but of your place in the time zone.
Personally, I'd like to see the time shifted forward an hour, like it is in
DST, year round. If I lived at the western end of the zone, I'd probably
not care. My choice is to have the daylight time at the end of the work day,
not the beginning, but others probably differ.

Well, yeah, I do understand that one person can't unilaterally change
the hours his employer is open. But that puts the onus on the employers,
schools, whatever. Change the schedules to start earlier when dawn comes
earlier, so your employees can have evening daylight to do whatever.
Pretty routine in construction down south. Crews start at first light,
to work in the cooler part of the day.

It's a psychological problem -- I know ltime is just a number, but
that number is deeply ingrained in our mind -- "9 to 5", "news at 11"
(or 10), etc.

I'm a prime example -- I'm generally a night owl, and while I *love*
Daylight Saving Time for the "extra" hour of light after work, I'd
bristle angrily if my employer suggested that I come in at 7 instead
of 8 for half the year. Yes, I know it's exactly the same thing, but
I'd still have trouble with it (and often be late), and I suspect many
many others are the same. I can look at a clock that says midnight,
and know it's time to go to sleep regardless of the actual time, but
I'd have trouble looking at a clock that says 11PM and convincing
myself it was time to go to bed.

Perhaps if *everything* shifted, from TV schedules to evening classes
to store opening/closing hours...but then it's really DST again :-)

Josh