Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting osb inside garage

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stryped wrote:
If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

Generally, one isn't going to reflect more than the other; the exception is
if you can see the reflection of the light source on the wall and that is
neither going to happen very often nor will it increase the level of light
noticeably.

Glossy is easier - marginally - to clean than semi-gloss. Neither are going
to look great on OSB unless you first do a *LOT* of work with fillers and/or
primers to make the OSB smooth. The best looking sheen for OSB IMO would be
flat but it is hard to clean so I'd use semi-gloss.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

IMHO, if you want OSB to "look good" you should start by covering it
with sheetrock--- or 1/2 plywood, even.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

IMHO, if you want OSB to "look good" you should start by covering it
with sheetrock--- or 1/2 plywood, even.

Jim

It doesn't really matter what paint you use...I've seen OSB in garages just
sprayed with flat white paint and I've seen them rolled with
semi-gloss....They both looked like ****....JMHO...And you can't clean
painted OSB even if you use sem-gloss...To rough....Using OSB on interior
walls is a mistake unless covered with drywall...Better to spend a few extra
bucks on plywood and caulk the cracks...It looks pretty good...Again ,
JMHO....Ceilings should be drywall for fire reasons.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stryped" wrote in message
If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I'd check the fire code and cover it with sheetrock, them paint it white.
Don't worry about taping if that is a problem, just fill the screw holes and
lightly sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 10:50*am, stryped wrote:
If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I used it in a storage room in the basement. Painted with semi
gloss. My experience:

1. It will soak up an amazing amount of paint.

2. some of the chips will loosen and lift edges.

3. It makes an acceptable cover (depending on code) and reflects
light well but 'looks good' is not in its job description.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 10:59*pm, harry k wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:50*am, stryped wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I used it in a storage room in the basement. *Painted with semi
gloss. *My experience:

1. *It will soak up an amazing amount of paint.

2. *some of the chips will loosen and lift edges.

3. *It makes an acceptable cover (depending on code) and reflects
light well but 'looks good' is not in its job description.

Harry K

How would drywall look painted before beign put up but not taped or
mudded?
Posted to alt.home.repair

stryped wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:59 pm, harry k wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:50 am, stryped wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I used it in a storage room in the basement. Painted with semi
gloss. My experience:

1. It will soak up an amazing amount of paint.

2. some of the chips will loosen and lift edges.

3. It makes an acceptable cover (depending on code) and reflects
light well but 'looks good' is not in its job description.

Harry K

How would drywall look painted before beign put up but not taped or
mudded?

It would look like painted panels with depressed joints and lots of
screw/nail heads.

It is *not* a big deal to tape joints or apply compound to the (slightly)
depressed screw/nail heads.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 5:24*am, stryped wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:59*pm, harry k wrote:

On Oct 6, 10:50*am, stryped wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I used it in a storage room in the basement. *Painted with semi
gloss. *My experience:

1. *It will soak up an amazing amount of paint.

2. *some of the chips will loosen and lift edges.

3. *It makes an acceptable cover (depending on code) and reflects
light well but 'looks good' is not in its job description.

Harry K

How would drywall look painted before beign put up but not taped or
mudded?- Hide quoted text -

Even worse. Actually, painted OSB except for the problems I mentioned
does not 'look bad' either. It is a quite acceptable wall/ceiling
cover for a shop, garage, utility room...well, I wouldn't use it in
any room with a direct connection to a livign area. I have a garage
that has no interior wall cover. Were I to put one on, I would
probably dry wall and mud but wouldn't hesitate to use OSB painted.

If you already have it up, paint a panel or two and see what you
think.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"stryped" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 10:59 pm, harry k wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:50 am, stryped wrote:

If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

I used it in a storage room in the basement. Painted with semi
gloss. My experience:

1. It will soak up an amazing amount of paint.

2. some of the chips will loosen and lift edges.

3. It makes an acceptable cover (depending on code) and reflects
light well but 'looks good' is not in its job description.

Harry K

How would drywall look painted before beign put up but not taped or
mudded?

It would look alot better than painted OSB...LOL...But I would atleast tape
the joints and spot the screws....A perfect chance to practice.....No need
to "finish and sand"...It will look fine just taped for a garage....Good
luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
How would drywall look painted before beign put up but not taped or
mudded?

It would look alot better than painted OSB...LOL...But I would atleast
tape the joints and spot the screws....A perfect chance to practice.....

I didn't tape the joints in my garage. Truth is, I put a coat of primer on
it and have not gotten past that. Looks pretty good and you don't really
see the detail with all of the stuff hanging on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 1:50�pm, stryped wrote:
If I am paintign osb walls, which would be better in a shop/garage,
semi gloss or gloss white. I want to reflect alot of light but still
look good.

If the OSB is already up, go ahead and paint it. Type doesn't matter
because it wil still look like painte OSB.

However, if it is not installed, consider putting up metal. The kind
used on pole barns. They make something they call "liner". It is made
for interior use and costs less than the regular barn siding. If I
remember correctly, they sel it buy the running foot which is 3 feet
wide and costs approx. $1.70-$1.90 per running foot (3 sq. feet) It is
easy to install (they'll cut the length it to the inch), no taping, no
painting, reflects light, easy to clean (just hose it down), easily
replaceable if a sheet gets damaged. Cost effective because it will
increase the value of the building moreso than OSB.

Hank ~~~loves the metal