Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas leak emergency instructions

"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:18*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

=================

If people don't have the good sense to put a lot of distance between
themselves and their house-bomb, they need to be removed from the gene pool.
It'll benefit everyone eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. Plus, when I'm at
home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table.
If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example,
I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. Plus, when I'm at
home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table.
If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example,
I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton
================

When your house blows up, you might want that cell phone so you can call
your insurance agent, whose number probably isn't in the cell phone anyway,
but I'm just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not really. I don't think the gas company wants to encourage people
getting on the front porch and then standing there calling the gas
company on their cell.

--
An old friend once said "You don't live on the edge,
you're taking up way too much space."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:38*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. *The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. *We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. *Damn cell phones.

How does a cell phone set off gas? It does not spark and it's totally
enclosed. Somebody is full of it.
I think you are confused with cell phone activated bombs which use
either a bell or switch.

Did you hear a "whoosh" while you were reading my post...? I was
playing on the whole "turn off your cell phone while filling up with
gas" urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Next time I'll use a smiley.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

What if none of my neighbors are home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. *Plus, when I'm at
home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table.
If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example,
I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton
================

When your house blows up, you might want that cell phone so you can call
your insurance agent, whose number probably isn't in the cell phone anyway,
but I'm just sayin'.

When my house blows up, I'll call you first.

The only numbers in my cell phone are my home number and my husband's
cell phone. He's the only person with my cell number.

I'll call my insurance agent from my office. There's a phone book
there.

Of course, it might take me a while to find my car keys. My car might
be ok, depending on the size of the explosion. The house is concrete
block with a very flimsy wooden roof, and the detached garage is also
concrete block.

Or, possibly, I could just keep from having a gas leak. So far, so
good.
Millions of houses with natural gas have never blown up in--what--100
years?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

When my house blows up, I'll call you first.

The only numbers in my cell phone are my home number and my husband's
cell phone. He's the only person with my cell number.

I'll call my insurance agent from my office. There's a phone book
there.

Phone book? How quaint!

Of course, it might take me a while to find my car keys. My car might
be ok, depending on the size of the explosion. The house is concrete
block with a very flimsy wooden roof, and the detached garage is also
concrete block.

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the
room comes straight down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, that's astounding. Only three or four, here. If you
count the lady who pushed her blue Onstar button, and the
truck next to her blew up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house
(and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to
call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just
like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps
explode in
my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We've taken the concept of compassion. And used it as a
technique to harvest and flourish more idiots.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
=================

If people don't have the good sense to put a lot of distance
between
themselves and their house-bomb, they need to be removed
from the gene pool.
It'll benefit everyone eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The time I threw it out the truck window at about 70 MPH,
and it landed on cement?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message

When is the last time you saw sparks coming out of your cell
phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

You're assuming gas leaks are entirely under your control.

"Millions of houses with natural gas have never blown up in--what--100
years?", It's happened a little more recently than that.
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-..._1_natural-gas
And I had to wade through a bunch of google results to find the one I was
looking for. Getting home from work that day sucked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the serious side...

2 years ago I came home from work to find my stepdaughter on the front
porch in a panic. She tried to cook something on the gas stove. It
boiled over and put out the flame. The house was about 10 minutes into
the gas. To turn off the stove from the high setting it must pass
through the electronic ignition. I ran and opened the kitchen door and
windows and fanned the gas away the best I could, siad a quick hail
Mary and turned it off. I was lucky that day.

I have never seen such an idiotic ignition setup in my life. If I had
been a few minutes late it would have been a disaster.

Thomas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 4:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the
room comes straight down.

That scenario used to be taught as the way manufactured gasses like
propane behaved but experience has shown that is too simplistic a
view. Too much depends on the concentration, point of ignition,
construction type and quality, and more to make such blanket
assertions.

--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 4:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

When my house blows up, I'll call you first. *

The only numbers in my cell phone are my home number and my husband's
cell phone. *He's the only person with my cell number.

I'll call my insurance agent from my office. *There's a phone book
there.

Phone book? How quaint!

It's always there. It always works. I can usually look up something
in the phone book faster than anybody can search online. It's
the appropriate technology for finding local numbers.

Of course, it might take me a while to find my car keys. *My car might
be ok, depending on the size of the explosion. *The house is concrete
block with a very flimsy wooden roof, and the detached garage is also
concrete block.

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the
room comes straight down.

Easier to find the keys that way, then.

I figure the most likely place for a substantial gas leak in my house
is the basement.
I'd probably smell it if the stove had a leak--until I become a feeble
old lady
and then I'd probably welcome a quick death in an explosion. Or, at
least,
I wouldn't be around later to regret it.

If I had the boilover situation described by Thomas, I'd scamper down
the
stairs. The shutoff for the stove is right there. And, I'm not the
sort of
cook who has boilovers or other irregularities.

If the gas company had a problem that my entire block went up... Well,
sometimes people just die. My entire block is one- and two-acre lots,
so that would minimize the collateral damage. I doubt many people on
my
block have natural gas; I know the neighbors on either side of me
still use
propane--I can see the tanks. Barely.

Really, if you go through life worrying about every little thing, you
might
as well just end it now.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 05:47:23 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

-snip-
To turn off the stove from the high setting it must pass
through the electronic ignition. I ran and opened the kitchen door and
windows and fanned the gas away the best I could, siad a quick hail
Mary and turned it off. I was lucky that day.

I have never seen such an idiotic ignition setup in my life. If I had
been a few minutes late it would have been a disaster.

Mine's a 4yr old Kenmore. Didn't realize it until I turned a burner
on and didn't notice that it hadn't lit for a minute or so. Got
some singed eyebrows when I instinctively just turned it off.

If there was even a .1 [.01?] second delay before the igniter started
you could get past that when the burner is throwing gas in the room.

Seems like pilots & thermocouples were much safer- but I haven't seen
any data that talks about more than singed hairs and rapid heartbeats
as consequences.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Our Father who art in Heaven
I might be there, too, in a second!

Thy kingdom come....
but not yet this one....

On Earth, instead of in Heaven.

Glad you didn't have an explosion. That woulda been nasty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas" wrote in message
On the serious side...

2 years ago I came home from work to find my stepdaughter on
the front
porch in a panic. She tried to cook something on the gas
stove. It
boiled over and put out the flame. The house was about 10
minutes into
the gas. To turn off the stove from the high setting it must
pass
through the electronic ignition. I ran and opened the
kitchen door and
windows and fanned the gas away the best I could, siad a
quick hail
Mary and turned it off. I was lucky that day.

I have never seen such an idiotic ignition setup in my life.
If I had
been a few minutes late it would have been a disaster.

Thomas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not everyone has a cell phone, you know. *Plus, when I'm at
home I shut my cell phone off and leave it on the dining table.
If I detect a gas leak while I'm in the basement, for example,
I'm not going to root around the house to get my cell phone.

Cindy Hamilton

There a lot of people that just like to argue.

Those who only have cell phones tend to rethink that decision the
first time they have power out for an extended time. :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

======================

Got any reputable news links about those 9 exploding pumps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 9:59*am, Tom Horne wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:58*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the
room comes straight down.

That scenario used to be taught as the way manufactured gasses like
propane behaved but experience has shown that is too simplistic a
view. *Too much depends on the concentration, point of ignition,
construction type and quality, and more to make such blanket
assertions.

--
Tom Horne

point of ignition

I watched a movie where the bad guy placed a lit candle on top of the
fridge and then loosened the hose to the gas range just a little bit.

He was long, long gone before the gas reached the level of the candle
and ignited.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. Damn cell phones.

How does a cell phone set off gas? It does not spark and it's totally
enclosed. Somebody is full of it.
I think you are confused with cell phone activated bombs which use
either a bell or switch.

If you have your cellphone with you, great, take it and use it
outside. However, if your cell phone is sitting on the counter
plugged into the charger, you wouldn't want to grab it and unplug it,
which could result in a small spark (at least my phones with crappy
connectors)

The whole idea is to get out ASAP, before *anything* causes a spark,
whether an old phone you try to use, the furnace pilotless ignition
firing, a lamp timer switching, whatever.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 4:58 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Natural gas explosions blow the bottom of the structure outward then the
room comes straight down.

That scenario used to be taught as the way manufactured gasses like
propane behaved but experience has shown that is too simplistic a
view. Too much depends on the concentration, point of ignition,
construction type and quality, and more to make such blanket
assertions.

--
Tom Horne

point of ignition

I watched a movie where the bad guy placed a lit candle on top of the
fridge and then loosened the hose to the gas range just a little bit.

He was long, long gone before the gas reached the level of the candle
and ignited.

====================

Feh. Sounds like an amateur. :-) Not enough drama. This is the right way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdmRcgjN1m0

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
-snip-
To turn off the stove from the high setting it must pass
through the electronic ignition. I ran and opened the kitchen door and
windows and fanned the gas away the best I could, siad a quick hail
Mary and turned it off. I was lucky that day.

..

Mine's a 4yr old Kenmore. Didn't realize it until I turned a burner
on and didn't notice that it hadn't lit for a minute or so. Got
some singed eyebrows when I instinctively just turned it off.

If there was even a .1 [.01?] second delay before the igniter started
you could get past that when the burner is throwing gas in the room.

Seems like pilots & thermocouples were much safer- but I haven't seen
any data that talks about more than singed hairs and rapid heartbeats
as consequences.

Jim

Fortunately, not all stoves are designed that way. On mine, you have to
push the knob in to activate the spark and it has to have a flame to stay
on. Just turning on the know won't turn on the gas, you have to hold it for
a couple of seconds one lit for the thermocouple to sense heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh, just drive around and look. It's pretty obvious,
you know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

Got any reputable news links about those 9 exploding pumps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Oh, gosh, just drive around and look. It's pretty obvious,
you know.

Snopes says it never happened.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

--
An old friend once said "You don't live on the edge,
you're taking up way too much space."
Scott Kirby "Lucky Enough"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Must be Ullman's law. Eventually, when everyone else is
joking around. Someone will miss the humor, and consult
Snopes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Oh, gosh, just drive around and look. It's pretty obvious,
you know.

Snopes says it never happened.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

--
An old friend once said "You don't live on the edge,
you're taking up way too much space."
Scott Kirby "Lucky Enough"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 08:45:08 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Oh, gosh, just drive around and look. It's pretty obvious,
you know.

Snopes says it never happened.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Party pooper. Note that it was thoroughly debunked 10 years ago.
I suppose, 'new decade, new round of debunking'.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Must be Ullman's law. Eventually, when everyone else is
joking around. Someone will miss the humor, and consult
Snopes.

Must be Mormon's Law. Every time he tries humor, people miss it.

--
An old friend once said "You don't live on the edge,
you're taking up way too much space."
Scott Kirby "Lucky Enough"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take my wives..... please!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Must be Ullman's law. Eventually, when everyone else is
joking around. Someone will miss the humor, and consult
Snopes.

Must be Mormon's Law. Every time he tries humor,
people miss it.

--
An old friend once said "You don't live on the edge,
you're taking up way too much space."
Scott Kirby "Lucky Enough"

This is an EMERGENCY Red Green Home Repair 1 October 14th 08 03:17 AM
This is an EMERGENCY CJT Home Repair 0 October 14th 08 02:20 AM
EMERGENCY [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 14th 07 03:21 AM
CH/HW emergency - Help !! Dave Liquorice UK diy 8 July 30th 03 08:59 AM