Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Gas leak emergency instructions

On Oct 1, 12:38*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that
totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the
building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro,
dude!

Not at all. *The idea is to get the person out of the house (and hope
there is no one else inside), because if someone were to call from a
cell phone it would spark and the house would explode - just like what
happens all over the world at gas pumps. *We had nine pumps explode in
my town just last week. *Damn cell phones.

How does a cell phone set off gas? It does not spark and it's totally
enclosed. Somebody is full of it.
I think you are confused with cell phone activated bombs which use
either a bell or switch.

Did you hear a "whoosh" while you were reading my post...? I was
playing on the whole "turn off your cell phone while filling up with
gas" urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Next time I'll use a smiley.