Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC water pipe for electrical conduit

One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
be a problem to replace, the biggest objextion is that its going to
mess up paint that is about two years old with some fading.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
be a problem to replace, the biggest objextion is that its going to
mess up paint that is about two years old with some fading.

Jimmie

I don't know if there is any difference between electrical and plumbing PVC,
except for sunlight resistance, but the bigger question would be the
competence of the installer. This is a hot tub, a potentially dangerous
environment, if the thing was wired incorrectly, so in my opinion, I'd be
more concerned about the rest of the wiring, then the pvc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

*I agree with RBM. The requirements for hot tub wiring are very specific
and in addition to being code compliant must be done according to the
manufacturers recommendations. What kind of wire is in the PVC? Cable or
individual conductors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 6:30*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

individual conductors?- Hide quoted text -

Individual conductors Red,Black,White,Green Looks like #8, at least
bigger than 10.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 1:03*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
be a problem to replace, the biggest objection is that its going to
mess up *paint that is about two years old with some fading.

Jimmie

PVC conduit is Sch 40 gray sunlight resistant material.

My landscaper installed white Sch 40 PVC (unpainted) manifolds ~30
years ago.......the material has been exposed to 1/2 day SoCal
sunshine. I'm sure it has become brittle as the backyard manifold
broke when someone bumped it with a wheel barrow.

I have been told by plastics people that a couple coats of latex paint
will give the material all the UV protection it needs but I still use
the gray sunlight resistant stuff.

If the stuff has been painted for most of its life......I wouldn;t
worry about.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*If the unit is GFI protected and bonded properly and there is a disconnect
within sight it might as well be left alone. Usually things like this
become an issue when the house is sold and the home inspector finds the
problem. Then a permit for the work may be requested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:51:20 -0700 (PDT), fftt
wrote:

On Sep 20, 1:03*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I used sched 40 white PVC for an overflow in my pond, spray painted
the exposed areas green with Rustoleum paint. It has been in full sun
for 14 years, water is still flowing into the creek. As long as the
paint is intact it's fine. Plastics become weak and brittle over
time, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear sir hope you enjoy your time.
We want to know what is defence between water pipe and electrical conduit pipe.

Best wishes
Hamid
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/31/2017 9:54 AM, dpb wrote:

But, if markings are obliterated it's impossible to tell apart visually,
dimensions are same for each size/schedule between the two.

Other than the gray color vis a vis white for plumbing, that is...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:51:52 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

No difference except for the color and fittings.

Not exactly true. Water pipe is certified not to leach unacceptable
levels of chemicals into the water. I still see a lot of Rigid
Nonmetallic Conduit used as water pipe where UV protection is
important but that is generally for irrigation or a fish cleaning
station on a dock where the chemicals are less of an issue.

electrical conduit adaptor rocky UK diy 0 May 15th 08 08:27 PM
Insulating conduit for water pipe. Andrew UK diy 4 January 8th 07 09:43 AM
Using a pipe as a conduit. [email protected] UK diy 10 November 14th 05 01:40 PM
Electrical conduit. PVR Home Repair 8 January 12th 05 01:02 AM
Can you put a water supply pipe and a gas supply pipe in the same conduit? Suz UK diy 4 September 9th 03 03:06 AM