Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC water pipe for electrical conduit

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:51:20 -0700 (PDT), fftt
wrote:

On Sep 20, 1:03*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
be a problem to replace, the biggest objection is that its going to
mess up *paint that is about two years old with some fading.

Jimmie

PVC conduit is Sch 40 gray sunlight resistant material.

My landscaper installed white Sch 40 PVC (unpainted) manifolds ~30
years ago.......the material has been exposed to 1/2 day SoCal
sunshine. I'm sure it has become brittle as the backyard manifold
broke when someone bumped it with a wheel barrow.

I have been told by plastics people that a couple coats of latex paint
will give the material all the UV protection it needs but I still use
the gray sunlight resistant stuff.

If the stuff has been painted for most of its life......I wouldn;t
worry about.

cheers
Bob

I used sched 40 white PVC for an overflow in my pond, spray painted
the exposed areas green with Rustoleum paint. It has been in full sun
for 14 years, water is still flowing into the creek. As long as the
paint is intact it's fine. Plastics become weak and brittle over
time, though.