PVR

Default Electrical conduit.

I am finishing my basement. This will include some wiring. Are the three
kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal) considered to be
interchangeable? I am using 2" foamboard onto poured concrete covered by
1/2" drywall. The conduit will be attached to the concrete before the
foamboard is installed.

Peter.

twiedeman

they are interchangable in your application, inside,dry and protected behind
wallboard-you can use any of the three
Todd

SQLit

"PVR" wrote in message
I am finishing my basement. This will include some wiring. Are the three
kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal) considered to be
interchangeable? I am using 2" foamboard onto poured concrete covered by
1/2" drywall. The conduit will be attached to the concrete before the
foamboard is installed.

Peter.

Inside a wall you do not have to run conduit. Romex will meet the code.
Even with conduit you will have to put metal straps in the furring strips
that you install to hold the wall board. To prevent nails/screws from going
into the conduit.

Chris Lewis

According to SQLit :

"PVR" wrote in message
I am finishing my basement. This will include some wiring. Are the three
kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal) considered to be
interchangeable? I am using 2" foamboard onto poured concrete covered by
1/2" drywall. The conduit will be attached to the concrete before the
foamboard is installed.

Inside a wall you do not have to run conduit.

Depends on where he lives.

Romex will _usually_ be sufficient, but not in Chicago for instance.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Joe Bobst

Are the three kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal)
considered to be interchangeable?

Only to the degree permitted by your building codes. Call and ask if you have
any doubts. Keep in mind the property differences of the materials, like PVC
doesn't corrode, EMT doesn't melt at temperatures over 100 C, rigid conduit may
be overkill for your application, etc. HTH

Joe

Sexytom976

The use of PVC inside walls is basically illegal.
You are NOT suppose to use it inside for 2 reasons.
1 is that wires can get hot, hot wires inside a plastic
conduit sounds like a good way to kill yourself
from fumes if there is a fire (caused by electric)

Its only used OUTSIDE and underground. (PVC = No Rust)

Metal conduit would just be too much of pain in the ass
for in walls installation. Romex would be the cheapest route
but just remember to follow romex guidelines. (it can
be left exposed ONLY on the ceiling)

BX cable might be a better choice for you. Its a pain to
work with (actually I prefer it to romex) but it shielded
and can be run just about anywhere.

If you decide to use conduit, just remember that you are
NOT suppose to run romex or bx THROUGH conduit. This IS
against the NEC code! (also a waste of space)
You run single wires through it. (thats why PVC is NOT good
for inside work)

Tom

PVR wrote:
I am finishing my basement. This will include some wiring. Are the

three
kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal) considered to

be
interchangeable? I am using 2" foamboard onto poured concrete covered

by
1/2" drywall. The conduit will be attached to the concrete before the
foamboard is installed.

Peter.

Greg

They are not really interchangable. Each has it's most appropriate use but they
will all work in most residential applications. The easiest one for a homeowner
is grey PVC (rigid non-metalic conduit). It is good above ground, below ground,
inside and outside. It won't put up with a lot of physical damage but it is
pretty tough. Ther next step is EMT (thinwall). It is a little tougher than
plastic, can act as the grounding, although most people still pull in a ground
wire, but it does require more to install. You should have a bender and some
practice.
EMT does give you a more professional looking install when you get the bends
right.
Rigid Metal (threaded) is really for heavy duty use and you usually see it in
industrial settings. It is pretty hard to install if you don't have the tools
to thread pipe and a hydraulic bender.

On 11 Jan 2005 13:41:37 -0800, "Sexytom976"
wrote:

The use of PVC inside walls is basically illegal.

Either it is, or it isn't, "basicly" is not a real qualifier.

So I went looking for PVC, couldn't find it in the US's 2002NEC; so,
I'm guessing you mean RNC(Rigid Nonmetalic Conduit Article 352).
Section 352.10(A), RNC is permited to be conceiled in walls, floors,
and ceilings. So per the NEC, it is ok to stick inside walls.

You are NOT suppose to use it inside for 2 reasons.
1 is that wires can get hot, hot wires inside a plastic

The most conductor insulations are plastic.

conduit sounds like a good way to kill yourself
from fumes if there is a fire (caused by electric)

If there is a fire, generally there is smoke.

Its only used OUTSIDE and underground. (PVC = No Rust)

Metal conduit would just be too much of pain in the ass
for in walls installation. Romex would be the cheapest route
but just remember to follow romex guidelines. (it can
be left exposed ONLY on the ceiling)

Couldn't find romex guidlines in the NEC, did find nonmetalic
sheath(NM) cable. Only under certain conditions, like locations:
UNfinished basements, and attics. Sec. 334.15, and special
precautions need to be followed,

BX cable might be a better choice for you. Its a pain to
work with (actually I prefer it to romex) but it shielded
and can be run just about anywhere.

If you are enclosing the walls, I would stick with NM, and properly
follow the code. If not, then move up to Metal Clad(MC), I just feel
safer knowing I have an actual grounding conductor. Yeah, I know the
cable jacket becomes grounded with proper installation, but having
that seperate conductor will help you sleep better at night.

If you decide to use conduit, just remember that you are
NOT suppose to run romex or bx THROUGH conduit. This IS
against the NEC code! (also a waste of space)

I agree with waste, but mostly money. As for running cable, I know
everyone say don't do it, but it's debate on why? Personally the
increased costs and double jacketing it, is a turn-off, but where in
the code does it say you can't? Thank you.

PVR wrote:
I am finishing my basement. This will include some wiring. Are the

three
kinds of conduit (PVC, standard metal and thin metal) considered to

be
interchangeable? I am using 2" foamboard onto poured concrete covered

by
1/2" drywall. The conduit will be attached to the concrete before the
foamboard is installed.

Peter.

Hi Peter, if you can't maintain a 1-1/4" seperation from the outside
edge of the studs and your cable, you will need to come up with
protecting the runs. If you go with thicker walls, like with 2x4's,
you should have no problem with finishing the basement wiring like
normal house wiring.

btw, always only allow qualified personnel to only do work on your
house.

hth,

tom @ www.URLBee.com