Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Default Conduit sizing for electrical Mains supply

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks
Bill

Check with your local electric utility.

Here is info for western U.S. ...
http://www.pacificorp.com/Navigation...tion15833.html

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

TURTLE

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

This is Turtle.

Copper would be a 2 inch and Al. would be 2 inch but for certain type wires and
could even get to the 2.5 inch with some Al. wire types. To know the exact wire
type yopu was going to use would be helpful. Yes I know service entrance cable
but other type can be used.

TURTLE

Greg

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

The short answer is 2", that will hold the 250 Kcmil aluminum you would need
for a commercial 200a service. That's why it is the standard.
If this is a service mast you may need 2 1/2 for strength.
The absolute smallest would be 2/0 copper in a 1 1/4 or 4/0 aluminum in a 1
1/2. It is sure a lot easier to get the wire in a 2" for a few pennies a foot
more.

Joe Bobst

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?

Our local utility specifies 2 1/2" conduit for residential and 3" for
commercial. Must make it pretty easy for the utility crew, YMMV

Joe

Tekkie

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

Hey Jeffy, do you EVER consider using Google, Yahoo, any search engine?

Huh? Have you ever? Oh, and don't bother sending me any obnoxious emails.
--
Tekkie
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Tekkie writes:
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

Hey Jeffy, do you EVER consider using Google, Yahoo, any search engine?

Huh? Have you ever? Oh, and don't bother sending me any obnoxious emails.
--
Tekkie

Hey asshole, do you ever think of taking your head out of your ass and
answering the question? Your name belongs under the definition of
waste of bandwidth.
G. Morgan

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:25:40 GMT "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky"
used 17 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Tekkie writes:
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

Hey Jeffy, do you EVER consider using Google, Yahoo, any search engine?

Huh? Have you ever? Oh, and don't bother sending me any obnoxious emails.
--
Tekkie

Hey asshole, do you ever think of taking your head out of your ass and
answering the question? Your name belongs under the definition of
waste of bandwidth.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=Tekkie&r=f

3. tekkie

a) Technical Theater student.
b) One who likes making medieval weaponry out of PVC piping, nails and
plywood.
c) Anyone who is or has been high from paint fumes, dust, and/or
asbestos.

I'm leaning towards "C" ;-}

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
HorneTD

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

If this will be done in compliance with the US NEC then you would need
1&1/2" for copper or 2" for aluminum single phase dwelling service if
the conduit in question is schedule forty or eighty PVC. Many utilities
require schedule eighty PVC for service entry conductors but schedule
forty is allowed for the feeder between the service disconnecting means
and the main distribution panel.
--
Tom H
Tekkie

G. Morgan posted for all of us....

Tekkie writes:
[...]

Bzzzzt, D none of the above.

Exactly how did you contribute? Or answer the question?

I pointed him in direction, you blathered; another jerk.

--
Tekkie

Tekkie

posted for all of us....

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 03:25:40 GMT, ender (Jeffrey
J. Kosowsky) wrote:

Tekkie writes:
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

What size conduit is needed to support 200A Mains supply?
(interested in the answer both for copper and aluminum)

Thanks

Hey Jeffy, do you EVER consider using Google, Yahoo, any search engine?

Huh? Have you ever? Oh, and don't bother sending me any obnoxious emails.
--
Tekkie

Hey asshole, do you ever think of taking your head out of your ass and
answering the question? Your name belongs under the definition of
waste of bandwidth.

LOL.... You took the words right out of my mouth !!!
For people like him, they may as well just cancel the newsgroups, so
we are all forced to use Google. However, I think HE should just
spend all his time online searching Google for the word "netiquette".,
and avoid using newsgroups.

Unfortunately I can not answer your question, however there are

So you are as useless as you claim my answer to be!!

required minimum sizes to match the wire gauge. If you were able to
get your hands on the National Electrical Code (book), that has
everything in charts. Of course you can always oversize it, hyst not
undersize. Stuffing those thick wires thru pipe can be a struggle, so
larger is often easier. What is your wire guage?

Dont quote me on this, but my guess is a 2" pipe.

A guess; yeah that's great. Works fine for the inspector.
AHJ: "That's not good enough"
Jeffy: "But that's what me guessed!"
AHJ: "WTF is a me guess?"

I tried to point him *again* in a direction which you & your ilk don't
understand.

I am having a good laugh at you guys, provide me with more entertainment.
--
Tekkie
G. Morgan

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:49:27 -0500 "Tekkie"
used 43 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Bzzzzt, D none of the above

Now I know it's "C"; your still high from the fumes.

Exactly how did you contribute? Or answer the question?

I don't answer Jeffies questions anymore, ****wart.

I pointed him in direction, you blathered; another jerk.

And you got flamed in a personal email from him apparently. Now go
play hide and go **** yourself.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Tekkie

G. Morgan posted for all of us....

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:49:27 -0500 "Tekkie"
used 43 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Bzzzzt, D none of the above

Now I know it's "C"; your still high from the fumes.

Exactly how did you contribute? Or answer the question?

I don't answer Jeffies questions anymore, ****wart.

I pointed him in direction, you blathered; another jerk.

And you got flamed in a personal email from him apparently. Now go
play hide and go **** yourself.

Why? You are such an inviting target! Hey Ground Zero!
--
Tekkie
G. Morgan

Tekkie vomited:

Why? You are such an inviting target! Hey Ground Zero!

Hey Fop-doodle, go play with your xylophone. Don't forget to turn on
your speakers you clueless, uber-impotent ****wit.

http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Tekkie

G. Morgan posted for all of us....

Tekkie vomited:

Why? You are such an inviting target! Hey Ground Zero!

Hey Fop-doodle, go play with your xylophone. Don't forget to turn on
your speakers you clueless, uber-impotent ****wit.

http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAA you are too much! What a jerk.

Too easy, you might go in the bozo bin yet. Not much of a challenge here.
--
Tekkie