Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC water pipe for electrical conduit

"RBM" wrote in message

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
be a problem to replace, the biggest objextion is that its going to
mess up paint that is about two years old with some fading.

Jimmie

I don't know if there is any difference between electrical and plumbing
PVC, except for sunlight resistance, but the bigger question would be the
competence of the installer. This is a hot tub, a potentially dangerous
environment, if the thing was wired incorrectly, so in my opinion, I'd be
more concerned about the rest of the wiring, then the pvc.

*I agree with RBM. The requirements for hot tub wiring are very specific
and in addition to being code compliant must be done according to the
manufacturers recommendations. What kind of wire is in the PVC? Cable or
individual conductors?