Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default PVC water pipe for electrical conduit

In article , (JIMMIE) writes:

| One of my neighbors noticed the 50 Amp circuit for his spa was in PVC
| water pipe. I know PVC pipe can break down in sun light but this stuff
| is coated with about 4 layers of house paint. Even though it is
| exposed directly to southern exposure for nearly its entire 20 ft
| length, given it is about 10 years old and hasnt had a problem I dont
| think degradation due to UV exposure should be something to worry
| about. Is there any other reason this should be replaced. It shouldnt
| be a problem to replace, the biggest objextion is that its going to
| mess up paint that is about two years old with some fading.

There is a fish store near me that was (at least a few years ago) wired
entirely in white PVC water pipe. The most disturbing thing was the
sharp 90 degree elbows. I don't know how this passed a comercial
inspection (or how an inspection could have been avoided)...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com