Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating conduit for water pipe.

Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead
water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in
conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift
the new floor.

The local water company specification for new pipes requires that pipes
running in the floor void are insulated which sounds like a good idea.
Foam insulation would be fine for the pipe but can anyone give any
suggestions as to the best way of insulating the conduit? I have
already spoken to an engineer at the water company and he tells me that
there is no problem with running the uninsulated pipe through insulated
conduit.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead
water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in
conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift
the new floor.

The local water company specification for new pipes requires that pipes
running in the floor void are insulated which sounds like a good idea.
Foam insulation would be fine for the pipe but can anyone give any
suggestions as to the best way of insulating the conduit? I have
already spoken to an engineer at the water company and he tells me that
there is no problem with running the uninsulated pipe through insulated
conduit.

Granules.............You needs granules.
Vermiculate or expanded polystyrene beads as used for packaging stuffing.

If using proper conduit, like with the top that is removable then just fill
to halfway height, pay pipe and fill to level top. That's what was in the
floor of a flat I used to own, and it worked very well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead
water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in
conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift
the new floor.

This doesn't make sense, how are you going to get at the pipe if it's under
the floor?, regardless of conduit, unless you mean pullthe pipe through?

The local water company specification for new pipes requires that
pipes running in the floor void are insulated which sounds like a
good idea. Foam insulation would be fine for the pipe but can anyone
give any suggestions as to the best way of insulating the conduit? I
have already spoken to an engineer at the water company and he tells
me that there is no problem with running the uninsulated pipe through
insulated conduit.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Andrew wrote:
Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead
water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in
conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift
the new floor.

This doesn't make sense, how are you going to get at the pipe if it's
under the floor?, regardless of conduit, unless you mean pullthe pipe
through?

Isn't that the idea of MDPE?
It's flexible and can be moved or removed as required. At 20mm it's ****
easy to work with and if, (unlikely I know) needing replacement then easily
removed bu pulling

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead
water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in
conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift
the new floor.

This doesn't make sense, how are you going to get at the pipe if it's under
the floor?, regardless of conduit, unless you mean pullthe pipe through?

That was the idea. Install the conduit and insulate it and the if I
need access to the pipe pull it out of the conduit and pull a new piece
through. It's a fairly direct route from the stop-cock under the lawn
to the main stop-cock in the cloakroom.

Andrew