Vince

Default Insulating Exhaust Fan Conduit

Any thoughts / experience with insulating material for a 4 inch
diamter tubing used in a bathroom exhaust fan installation? The
tubing shall be in an attic crawl space in a ranch style house located
on Long Island, NY (typical low and high temperatrures: 0F and 100F
degrees).

I am wondering if pipe insulation or batt fiberglass insualtion should
be used in this application ?

Is Owens-Corning Fiberglass Duct Wrap
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...pdfappropriate
appropriate material for this application ?

Vince

I am concerned that condensation might develop within the attic crawl
space and cause damage to other insulation material.

I have read here in this NG and elsewhere that it is important to
insulate the tubing conduit from the expected cold temperature that is
present in the attic crawlspace and not to simply vent the fan's moist
exhaust air into the attic space. .

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:11:04 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

I don't know what you purpose for wrapping is, but you may be able to buy
4inch insulated flex duct. If its for noise, I'd just get a really quiet
exhaust fan

Luke

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:17:02 GMT, Vince
wrote:

I am concerned that condensation might develop within the attic crawl
space and cause damage to other insulation material.

I have read here in this NG and elsewhere that it is important to
insulate the tubing conduit from the expected cold temperature that is
present in the attic crawlspace and not to simply vent the fan's moist
exhaust air into the attic space.

[snip bottom quote]

If you exhaust *into* the attic, insulation will just help trap the
moisture you're putting up there. Exhaust *through* the attic to the
*outside*, through a wall or through the roof, i.e, run the duct to
the outside. Slight leakage from duct joints won't amount to much, but
if that concerns you, wrap the joints with aluminum tape. It won't
hurt to wrap the duct with fiberglass wrap, but probably won't
accomplish much either.

--
Luke
"The best time to invest is when there is still blood on the
Joseph Meehan

Vince wrote:
Any thoughts / experience with insulating material for a 4 inch
diamter tubing used in a bathroom exhaust fan installation? The
tubing shall be in an attic crawl space in a ranch style house located
on Long Island, NY (typical low and high temperatrures: 0F and 100F
degrees).

I am wondering if pipe insulation or batt fiberglass insualtion should
be used in this application ?

Is Owens-Corning Fiberglass Duct Wrap
http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsu...pdfappropriate
appropriate material for this application ?

In most situations you should not have a problem with it, just be sure
vent it to the outside not to the inside of the attic.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bob M

wrote:

I am concerned that condensation might develop within the attic crawl
space and cause damage to other insulation material.

I have read here in this NG and elsewhere that it is important to
insulate the tubing conduit from the expected cold temperature that is
present in the attic crawlspace and not to simply vent the fan's moist
exhaust air into the attic space.

[snip bottom quote]

If you exhaust *into* the attic, insulation will just help trap the
moisture you're putting up there. Exhaust *through* the attic to the
*outside*, through a wall or through the roof, i.e, run the duct to
the outside. Slight leakage from duct joints won't amount to much, but
if that concerns you, wrap the joints with aluminum tape. It won't
hurt to wrap the duct with fiberglass wrap, but probably won't
accomplish much either.

I'm in CT. I used 4 inch metal tubing and minimized the amount of
flexible tubing (decreases flow rate and increases noise). I used a
flapper valve type of connection on the roof. I used Panasonic fans. I
wrapped the entire tubing in insulation (I used both reflective, metallic
and normal pipe insulation). It took way, way longer than I thought.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply