Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wasp spray that works

Last night, went to check out some wasps at the church. Some
how, they got into the primary room. One of the boys had
been stung, indoors. Not good. Find a 1/4 inch or so hole,
where the vinyl under the eaves meets the wood that's on the
side of the masonry building. Plenty of wasps coming and
going.

This appears to be the new style of wasps, they burrow in.
The older model of wasps nest on the surface.

Got out my can of Ultra Kill ($3.49 from Lowe's) and give
the building a good squirt. The last cans I had (Real Kill,
from Home Depot, bought them on close out) the wasps would
drop out of the air. This Ultra Kill stuff was useless, the
wasps hardly seemed to notice.

Time for me to go to the farm and garden store, and see what
they have. What brand of spray works for you? And what store
sells the good stuff? I'd like stuff that drops wasps out of
the air, kills the nest, and they don't come back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I use Ortho (Basic Solutions) wasp and hornet spray. Long distance
stream. Have to get it out each time I wash windows because wasps like
to build at the top of the window and behind our hurricane shutters
(accordion style). It never fails me. Wasps seem to like to build
nests anwhere they are sheltered from elements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, Ortho works? I'll look for it. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

I use Ortho (Basic Solutions) wasp and hornet spray. Long
distance
stream. Have to get it out each time I wash windows because
wasps like
to build at the top of the window and behind our hurricane
shutters
(accordion style). It never fails me. Wasps seem to like
to build
nests anwhere they are sheltered from elements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, Ortho works? I'll look for it. Thank you.

I don't know how many flavors Ortho has; reason for including the "Basic
Solutions" logo. Good luck )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Got out my can of Ultra Kill ($3.49 from Lowe's) and give
the building a good squirt. The last cans I had (Real Kill,
from Home Depot, bought them on close out) the wasps would
drop out of the air. This Ultra Kill stuff was useless, the
wasps hardly seemed to notice.

Time for me to go to the farm and garden store, and see what
they have. What brand of spray works for you? And what store
sells the good stuff? I'd like stuff that drops wasps out of
the air, kills the nest, and they don't come back.

Spectracide Pro Hornet and Wasp Killer - found at 'Depot. Works well,
near instant drops, and high dielectric rating so it doesn't short out
electrical stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

gasoline drops wasps on contact. no ifs, ands, or buts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:32:22 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Along the same lines, I use a spray can of carborator/throttle body
cleaner. They drop from the sky when hit with it.

It doesnt shoot a stream 20 ft though, so I usually end up running
like hell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

One recent poster suggested gasoline...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Heck, if dropping a flying bug is all you wanna do, use a can of
hairspray. Gums up their wings, they drop like a rock. Stomp on 'em or
sweep them up. Safe to use indoors and around kids. Just won't do a
lick of good if applied to a nest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't that why the contractor used it in the guy's walls, a
couple weeks ago? That led to some hearty discussion. I'm
guessing the church discourages people spraying gasoline
into the walls. But, that's just a guess. They had a hissy
fit when we brought in some hay bales for a country dance.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

gasoline drops wasps on contact. no ifs, ands, or buts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd forgotten about that. I'd have to get up on a ladder,
and use the red extension tube. But, it's a great idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dicko" wrote in message

Along the same lines, I use a spray can of
carborator/throttle body
cleaner. They drop from the sky when hit with it.

It doesnt shoot a stream 20 ft though, so I usually end up
running
like hell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a building
(eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. Many wasp-killing products
take a little time to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a different brand of spray. The maint group is
supposed to be at the building today, maybe they sprayed,
also.

If we still have wasps in a couple days, I may try the carb
cleaner.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike" wrote in message
Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a
building
(eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. Many wasp-killing
products
take a little time to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 3:26*pm, mike wrote:
Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a building
(eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. *Many wasp-killing products
take a little time to work.

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always Sevin dust. I
can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You don't have
to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come in
contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the hive to
kill it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 12:35*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26*pm, mike wrote:

Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a building
(eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. *Many wasp-killing products
take a little time to work.

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always Sevin dust. I
can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You don't have
to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come in
contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the hive to
kill it.

Jimmie

+1. And it's non-flammable!

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds excellent for flying insects. But, there are
many more, bored into the wall, and nesting under the vinyl.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message

I used to use WireDry. It was an automotive spray for spark
plug wires
and distributors. Any insect is instantly immobilized with
it. I was
amazed. It must dry their wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 4:06*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

....and everyone has forgotten the many uses of WD-40. (Can be used
with optional match/flamethrower)
I have used it many times on wasps.

bob_v
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I say, look for a wasp-&-hornet spray with high percentage of petroleum
distillates. These have less ability to linger compared to other
insecticidal ingredients, but if you get the nest soaked with that stuff
then the nest's residents will probably kick the bucket in anywhere from
a couple minutes to a couple hours. Larvae and pupae in the nest may take
a few hours croak.

Insects getting a major direct hit with petroleum distillates (or
organic solvents in general) tend to get pickled in anywhere from a few
seconds to about a minute, to the point of being intoxicated to death.

Even "rubbing alcohol" and the whatever 151 proof booze wil kill within
a minute insects being bathed in such stuff.

Just beware that some petroleum distillates and many organic solvents
are flammable, and that liquids that are combustible but not flammable are
flammable in mist form.

Also beware that organic solvents including petroleum distillates can
mar some finishes, and a few organic solvents (such as acetone, MEK and
"aromatic hydrocarbons" including turpentine) can even mar plastic
object surfaces.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd forgotten about that. I'd have to get up on a ladder,
and use the red extension tube. But, it's a great idea.

This does remind me that WD-40 appears to me likely to work, when it
remains suitable given concerns of flammability and ability to mar some
surfaces.

Keep in mind that WD-40 is a mixture of various ingredients that take
various amounts of time to evaporate, possibly including eternity (though
my experience using WD-40 on bicycle chains indicates otherwise).

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h8p3fl
:

That sounds excellent for flying insects. But, there are
many more, bored into the wall, and nesting under the vinyl.

I was lurking in this group for a bit before jumping into the lug nut
thread, and I ended up reading through a few threads with your posts in
them.

I'm just curious here, but I have to ask:
Why do you top-post, but have a compliant signature (placed /above/ the
quote) that instructs proper news clients to strip off it and everything
below it?

If you wish to top-post, why not remove the space character from your sig's
double-hyphen so that the quote below won't be stripped off by mistake?

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Most anything containing bifenthrin, sold under various names- Bifen,
Bifenthrin, Talstar. You're supposed to be licensed to apply this stuff.
You can get it online or eBay, 3/4 gal. will probably last the average
person a lifetime. It's well worth the cost, and you can treat other pests
as well. I use a 1 gal pump up sprayer. I just bought my 3rd jug of it.
*Make sure you read the instructions*.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The double hyphen is put there by Outlook Express, and not
by me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

If you wish to top-post, why not remove the space character
from your sig's
double-hyphen so that the quote below won't be stripped off
by mistake?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Got out my can of Ultra Kill ($3.49 from Lowe's) and give
the building a good squirt. The last cans I had (Real Kill,
from Home Depot, bought them on close out) the wasps would
drop out of the air. This Ultra Kill stuff was useless, the
wasps hardly seemed to notice.

Time for me to go to the farm and garden store, and see what
they have. What brand of spray works for you? And what store
sells the good stuff? I'd like stuff that drops wasps out of
the air, kills the nest, and they don't come back.

Spectracide Pro Hornet and Wasp Killer - found at 'Depot. Works well,
near instant drops, and high dielectric rating so it doesn't short out
electrical stuff.

Ditto...Just make sure you get the spray and NOT the foam...I tried the foam
and it SUCKED....JMHO...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h8pha0
:

The double hyphen is put there by Outlook Express, and not
by me.

I can find no such setting in OE.

I think that if you go to ToolsOptionsSignatures, you'll find that the
Signature text contains that double-hyphen and can be easily edited to
remove the trailing space character.

Removal of the space character will not affect the appearance of your sig,
but it will cause properly-programmed newsreaders to retain the quoted part
when replying.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm tempted to rig some kind of a pan, and screw that to the
trim wood, near the hole. Put some sevin dust in the pan.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always
Sevin dust. I
can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You
don't have
to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come
in
contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the
hive to
kill it.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not a settting. The double hypehen isn't part of my sig
box.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in news:h8pha0
:

The double hyphen is put there by Outlook Express, and not
by me.

I can find no such setting in OE.

I think that if you go to ToolsOptionsSignatures, you'll
find that the
Signature text contains that double-hyphen and can be easily
edited to
remove the trailing space character.

Removal of the space character will not affect the
appearance of your sig,
but it will cause properly-programmed newsreaders to retain
the quoted part
when replying.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h8qmc0
:

It's not a settting. The double hypehen isn't part of my sig
box.

I tried making a sig in OE and it does not give me anything other than
exactly what I type. I can't imagine where your OE is getting the
double-hyphen & space combo from.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same as yours, maybe?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message

I tried making a sig in OE and it does not give me anything
other than
exactly what I type. I can't imagine where your OE is
getting the
double-hyphen & space combo from.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got a wasp bag from Home Depot, for $4.99 today. Hung that
near the wasp nest opening. Let you know in a couple days if
it attracts bugs. Wish they made one side of the bag clear,
so I could see if any bugs went in. But no, it's all covered
in advertising and warnings.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Got a wasp bag from Home Depot, for $4.99 today. Hung that
near the wasp nest opening. Let you know in a couple days if
it attracts bugs. Wish they made one side of the bag clear,
so I could see if any bugs went in. But no, it's all covered
in advertising and warnings.

I can't remember, even though I spent my first 6 yrs. in S.L.C.: Is
jesus coming back in the mormon religion? You're gonna feel dumb if he
ends up being one of the wasps you bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always
Sevin dust. I
can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You
don't have
to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come
in
contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the
hive to
kill it.

Jimmie

I had them in my eve and I just slung the dust against the eve and it
stuck around the hole. It was about a week before I checked on them
again and there was no activity .

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

If Jesus ends up in the wasp bag, at least he'll be at a LDS
meeting house for a while. Then, we can talk with him, and
learn. Unless some Mexican kid decides to take a stick and
whack at the bug bag hoping for candy to come out. Then,
that kid is going to have some explaining to do on Judgement
Day when he meets the highly bruised Jesus. Gonna take a
couple centures for the bug attractant to wear off, so maybe
Jesus will wait a while before judgement.

Incidentally, yes, Jesus is expected to return.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I can't remember, even though I spent my first 6 yrs. in
S.L.C.: Is
jesus coming back in the mormon religion? You're gonna feel
dumb if he
ends up being one of the wasps you bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might try that next, if the bug bag doesn't do its thing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I had them in my eve and I just slung the dust against the
eve and it
stuck around the hole. It was about a week before I checked
on them
again and there was no activity .

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:21:27 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

I used it last week after getting stung on the hand. There were
about 10 angry red wasps, wet with the Black Flag spray, still flying
around their nest. No more Black Flag Wasp spray for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I knew a firefighter that uses gasoline on wasp nests. Sounds a bit
risky to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

risky to me. *- Hide quoted text -

When I was a kid I used to squirt starting ether in a paper bag and
slide it over a wasp nest. Count to 100 and they would all be asleep.
I would then take down the nest and use the larvae for fish bait.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Friday Sept 18, 2009
I went back and looked at the bug bag. Didn't see any bugs,
having been caught. Gave the side of the building a couple
good dose of the bug spray from the farm and garden. Can't
say it did much about the wasps.

Maybe they are some new killer type that is resistant to
everything?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saturday Sept 19. The hole for the nest is about 1/4 inch
diameter. Somehow, they either made a hole, or found a hole
in the stone exterior, where it meets the aluminum under the
eaves. I put up a ladder, and gave the hole about 5 second
blast of carburetor cleaner. See if that does any good.

Delayed but not yet defeated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Depot (and probably others) sells Spectracide Pro hornet killer. You
want the Pro stuff in the black and white cans, not the non-Pro stuff in
colorful cans. The stuff in the colored cans is worthless. You spray the
hornets and they come after you. the Pro stuff drops then in about a half
second.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Saturday Sept 19. The hole for the nest is about 1/4 inch
diameter. Somehow, they either made a hole, or found a hole
in the stone exterior, where it meets the aluminum under the
eaves. I put up a ladder, and gave the hole about 5 second
blast of carburetor cleaner. See if that does any good.

Delayed but not yet defeated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
Home Depot (and probably others) sells Spectracide Pro hornet killer. You
want the Pro stuff in the black and white cans, not the non-Pro stuff in
colorful cans. The stuff in the colored cans is worthless. You spray the
hornets and they come after you. the Pro stuff drops then in about a half
second.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Saturday Sept 19. The hole for the nest is about 1/4 inch
diameter. Somehow, they either made a hole, or found a hole
in the stone exterior, where it meets the aluminum under the
eaves. I put up a ladder, and gave the hole about 5 second
blast of carburetor cleaner. See if that does any good.

Delayed but not yet defeated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Mormons
www.exmormons.com

I like the black can Home Depot stuff, myself.

Steve

What do I do with this? (wasp nest) Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 30 February 17th 08 05:07 PM
Wasp queen? Sky UK diy 6 February 15th 08 12:22 PM
Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM