Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sky Sky is offline

Default Wasp queen?

Dear all,

Just settled down on a cold february evening to read and been disturbed by a
large, sluggish wasp which bounced around on my couch for a couple of
minutes making a real din until I whacked it with a magazine.

Is it normal for queens to be out and about at this time of year? is it
anything I should worry about? It looks like a queen judging by pics I've
found online - quite large with a visibly hairy bit above the abdomen.

Anyone else seen anything like this in Feb?

Sky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sky wrote:
Dear all,

Just settled down on a cold february evening to read and been
disturbed by a large, sluggish wasp which bounced around on my couch
for a couple of minutes making a real din until I whacked it with a
magazine.
Is it normal for queens to be out and about at this time of year? is
it anything I should worry about? It looks like a queen judging by
pics I've found online - quite large with a visibly hairy bit above
the abdomen.
Anyone else seen anything like this in Feb?

It is quite common for them to overwinter indoors and to emerge thinking it
is spring. The do much more good than harm however you want them outside
rather than in!

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 21:31:01 +0000, "Sky" said:

Dear all,

Just settled down on a cold february evening to read and been disturbed by a
large, sluggish wasp which bounced around on my couch for a couple of
minutes making a real din until I whacked it with a magazine.

That would spoil it day.

Is it normal for queens to be out and about at this time of year? is it
anything I should worry about? It looks like a queen judging by pics I've
found online - quite large with a visibly hairy bit above the abdomen.

I don't see a need to give it the benefit of the doubt. It's big, it
has yellow and black stripes, it may be a queen. I don't see a need to
deliberate too long on whether it lives or dies.

Anyone else seen anything like this in Feb?

Sky

Yes.

I've seen a couple in the loft.

I will be buying the insecticide spray tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 21:31:01 +0000, "Sky" said:

Dear all,

[...]

Why ?
as has been previously said they are better outside than in, but that is no
reason to kill them.
An insecticide spray will perhaps do far more damage than a stray wasp,
queen or otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-14 23:02:26 +0000, "Nick"

On 2008-02-14 21:31:01 +0000, "Sky" said:

Dear all,

[...]

Because I don't want them there.

as has been previously said they are better outside than in, but that is no
reason to kill them.

If there were a quick, efficient and safe way to do this then I might
consider it. As it is, a quick spray in the area achieves the same
result - i.e. loft without wasp.

An insecticide spray will perhaps do far more damage than a stray wasp,
queen or otherwise.

I doubt it. I've never been stung by an insecticide spray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sky" wrote in message
news
Dear all,

Just settled down on a cold february evening to read and been disturbed by
a large, sluggish wasp which bounced around on my couch for a couple of
minutes making a real din until I whacked it with a magazine.

Is it normal for queens to be out and about at this time of year?

If there's a warm and sunny spell queens can come out of hibernation.
Perhaps she was snuggled in curtain folds or other well insulated place.

is it anything I should worry about?

No, especially as she's now dead :-(

It looks like a queen judging by pics I've found online - quite large with
a visibly hairy bit above the abdomen.

That sounds more like a queen bumble bee - all the above apply.

Anyone else seen anything like this in Feb?

Yes.

Mary

Sky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:18:46 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sky" wrote in message
news
Dear all,

Just settled down on a cold february evening to read and been disturbed by
a large, sluggish wasp which bounced around on my couch for a couple of
minutes making a real din until I whacked it with a magazine.

Is it normal for queens to be out and about at this time of year?

If there's a warm and sunny spell queens can come out of hibernation.
Perhaps she was snuggled in curtain folds or other well insulated place.

is it anything I should worry about?

No, especially as she's now dead :-(

It looks like a queen judging by pics I've found online - quite large with
a visibly hairy bit above the abdomen.

That sounds more like a queen bumble bee - all the above apply.

The bee is quite different, and it's hairy all over - wasp queens
look like large wasps, with a bit more hair.
Another possibility is a hornet - but I wouldn't expect to see a queen
this early on...and there'd be no mistaking it from its sheer size.

I've seen half a dozen or so queen wasps in my workshop this month -
which is about average for the last few years.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest removal? ? ? Ray Home Repair 17 August 4th 06 07:36 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
wasp or hornet? [email protected] UK diy 16 November 11th 05 09:33 PM
Wasp nest Nick UK diy 43 January 31st 05 02:18 AM