Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wasp spray that works

"Zootal" wrote in message
Home Depot (and probably others) sells Spectracide Pro hornet killer. You
want the Pro stuff in the black and white cans, not the non-Pro stuff in
colorful cans. The stuff in the colored cans is worthless. You spray the
hornets and they come after you. the Pro stuff drops then in about a half
second.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Saturday Sept 19. The hole for the nest is about 1/4 inch
diameter. Somehow, they either made a hole, or found a hole
in the stone exterior, where it meets the aluminum under the
eaves. I put up a ladder, and gave the hole about 5 second
blast of carburetor cleaner. See if that does any good.

Delayed but not yet defeated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Mormons

It will only help them breathe better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure, but they may be some seriously stoned off
their asses wasps, now. I didn't really look very closely at
the nest entrance. Might be fewer wasps. But no kids got
stung, today.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveB" wrote in message

It will only help them breathe better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Zoot, thanks Steve. I'll look for the black can stuff
at Home Cheepo.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveB" wrote in message

I like the black can Home Depot stuff, myself.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where do you send a sick hornet? To the waspital!

(Courtesy of Prairie Home Companion weekly newsletter.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has to bee a joker in every crowd. I just hive to hear
what's nest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

Where do you send a sick hornet? To the waspital!

(Courtesy of Prairie Home Companion weekly newsletter.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 3:35*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26*pm, mike wrote:

Before you spray flammable and volatile liquids on a building
(eyeroll), maybe you should simply wait. *Many wasp-killing products
take a little time to work.

My first choice on wasp, bees, hornets etc... is always Sevin dust. I
can dust it directly on them with out disturbing them. You don't have
to get it on them, just get where they set down and can come in
contact with the dust. A few will carry enough dust into the hive to
kill it.

Jimmie

That's what I use too. The dust is good stuff.

For the ones you can see, I use soapy water. Ordinary dish soap mixed
1:15 with water from a spray bottle knocks them down and drowns them
faster than anything I've found, and they don't go into a buzzing
stinging frenzy as they die. It's safe around kids, pets, and food.
(I'd be careful around electrical of course.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

Interesting tips

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

Our Florida lawn had a nasty infestation of some kind of bug, so we
checked out U of Fla website for tips. Symptoms were of mole crickets,
which has to be one of the ugliest insects around. To be sure, before
treating the lawn, they rec. dousing a couple of square feet with a
solution of water and dish detergent; if mole crickets present, they
would start to drown and come to the surface. Well, it had the same
effect on quite a few critters, including earth worms. Change in
surface tension? of the water bypasses the bugs' normal defense and
drowns them. Interesting experiment for the buggy )
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I use too. The dust is good stuff.

For the ones you can see, I use soapy water. Ordinary dish soap mixed
1:15 with water from a spray bottle knocks them down and drowns them
faster than anything I've found, and they don't go into a buzzing
stinging frenzy as they die. It's safe around kids, pets, and food.
(I'd be careful around electrical of course.)

reply:

Two very useful suggestions. Thanks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 21, 1:26*pm, "
wrote:
LouB wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

drowns them. *Interesting experiment for the buggy )- Hide quoted text -

I've had several yellowjacket nests in my yard. I don't know the
latin species name, sorry. I call them yellowjackets; they are
aggressive colony wasps that live in holes in the ground. I usually
find them while mowing, to my sorrow.

I fill a 5 gallon pail with water and some laundry detergent, wait
until after dark, and pour it into the nest. It's almost always
killed the whole nest the first time, maybe once or twice I've had to
repeat it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 1:26 pm, "
wrote:
LouB wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

I've been lucky in that I've never found a yellow jacket nest. We get a lot
of paper wasps, but those build those hanging umbrella nests. Paper wasps
are gentle, so I only remove them if they are near heavily trafficked areas.
I found a bald face hornet nest in a tree above my swimming pool (my
daughter found it - luckily it was small and she only got stung once), so I
had to resort to the spray. Bald face hornets are aggressive *******s if you
go near their nest.

Where do you live? I shudder at the thought of running my mower over a
yellow jacket nest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

"TimR" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 1:26 pm, "
wrote:
LouB wrote:
TimR wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:35 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Sep 15, 3:26 pm, mike wrote:

[...]

I ran into a yellow jacket nest a while back, and got five bites. Man, that
hurts. But you only feel the hair on your leg or arm tickle a little.
Then, BAM, it hits you. Leaves a nice red scab for about two weeks.

I found another nest yesterday, luckily seeing them before I really got
close in. There must have been fifty of them. I got a can of spray, and
sprayed. Immediately, three came at me. I ran like hell. The second time,
I didn't get so close. Spray and run, spray and run. I used a whole can of
spray.

That time, I won. XXtreme SW Utah.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I ran into a yellow jacket nest a while back, and got five bites. Man, that
hurts. But you only feel the hair on your leg or arm tickle a little.
Then, BAM, it hits you. Leaves a nice red scab for about two weeks.

I found another nest yesterday, luckily seeing them before I really got
close in. There must have been fifty of them. I got a can of spray, and
sprayed. Immediately, three came at me. I ran like hell. The second time,
I didn't get so close. Spray and run, spray and run. I used a whole can of
spray.

That time, I won. XXtreme SW Utah.

Steve

There have been a few publicized (and tragic) cases of people who died
after massive y.j. attacks. One was a small child with hundred of
stings who died for lack of medical care afterward. Another, an elderly
man mowing his yard. Y.j.'s are the only wasps that PURSUE - and often
it is only the vibration of a mower that disturbs a ground nest to get
them going. Nasty!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:18:34 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

-snip-
I ran into a yellow jacket nest a while back, and got five bites. Man, that
hurts. But you only feel the hair on your leg or arm tickle a little.
Then, BAM, it hits you. Leaves a nice red scab for about two weeks.

They don't exactly have sharp teeth-- more like an alligator clip on
steroids.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/...1b647be6d0.jpg

I'll take a few stings over bites any day. A little baking soda to
draw out the poison & it is forgotten in an hour or so.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:18:34 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

-snip-
I ran into a yellow jacket nest a while back, and got five bites. Man,
that
hurts. But you only feel the hair on your leg or arm tickle a little.
Then, BAM, it hits you. Leaves a nice red scab for about two weeks.

They don't exactly have sharp teeth-- more like an alligator clip on
steroids.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/...1b647be6d0.jpg

I'll take a few stings over bites any day. A little baking soda to
draw out the poison & it is forgotten in an hour or so.

Jim

Wish I knew that then. I put some Benadryl cream on it, which helped. A
little.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:18:34 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

-snip-
I ran into a yellow jacket nest a while back, and got five bites. Man,
that
hurts. But you only feel the hair on your leg or arm tickle a little.
Then, BAM, it hits you. Leaves a nice red scab for about two weeks.

They don't exactly have sharp teeth-- more like an alligator clip on
steroids.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2557/...1b647be6d0.jpg

I'll take a few stings over bites any day. A little baking soda to
draw out the poison & it is forgotten in an hour or so.

Jim

Don't they eat with their mouth and sting with their tail?

Ah, yes, here it is.

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ketst_scnl.htm

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Jim

Wish I knew that then. I put some Benadryl cream on it, which helped. A
little.

Steve

Fortunately, I've never been stung by a wasp.....only honey bees and
very small Florida scorpion. All on my feet because I stepped on them.
Ice cube for a minute or so takes care of the pain for me. No allergies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote:

-snip-
Don't they eat with their mouth and sting with their tail?

Ah, yes, here it is.

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ketst_scnl.htm

OOPs- Brainfart. I conflated their barbless stinger which allows
them to sting a few times and a story I read last week about how come
horsefly bites hurt so bad.

Some days the noggin is just a jumble of unrelated facts waiting to be
used incorrectly.

Jim

What do I do with this? (wasp nest) Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 30 February 17th 08 05:07 PM
Wasp queen? Sky UK diy 6 February 15th 08 12:22 PM
Getting Rid of Wasp Nest Les Home Repair 12 November 22nd 06 05:03 PM
Wasp nest wattie UK diy 36 July 20th 06 05:30 PM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM