Posted to alt.home.repair

Default casement or double hung?

Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), camryguy89
wrote:

Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

My $.02

Casements can provide better ventilation, since the whole area can
open and the glass can catch a crossing breeze. It can also block a
crossing breeze, so if you can, orient per prevailing winds.

Casements can provide a better view..no middle frame members in the
way.

I believe, over time, casements seal better. A good lasting seal is
IMO easier to obtain/maintain with a compression seal than a sliding
seal. Plus, the area to be sealed is less with a casement; no center
bar, which is particularly hard to seal well.

Casements can be an obstruction hazard when they open into/over active
space, such as a deck.

The casement mechanism can be a weak spot, but so can the spring
balances often used in DH. In high quality windows, neither should be
an issue, provided you take time periodically to do preventive
maintenance. There is more PM on casements, since the hinges and
locks and the mechansim have to be cleaned and lubed periodically.
Plus the outside pane is often exposed more to the sun since it sticks
out when open. Again, not usually and issue with high quality
windows.

From a design aspect, I find casements often look a bit out of place
in more traditional style homes. But that's personal preference.

You can't as easily use a window air conditioner or window fan with
casements.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 9:51*pm, camryguy89 wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

Good casements wont be an issue, cheap anything can be. The installer
is critical as 1/8" out of plumb, level, square voids most warrantys.
www.energystar.gov has good starting info. Get what looks best with
your homes style, casements do allow more air when open and do seal
better for high wind areas, but you must compare performance data to
know what you are buying, dont listen to salesman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 05:49:08 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Jul 30, 9:51Â*pm, camryguy89 wrote:
[...]

Every pro has it's con.

The casements catch the breeze better for ventilation, but in Nova
Scotia a breeze can turn into a gale in no time - and an open casement
in a gale is an invitation to disaster.
I'd go for a high quality vinyl double-hung.
Fenergic, euro vinyl, or top of the line Beauville or something along
that line -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 10:51*pm, camryguy89 wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

Are you asking about single casements, double casements or even triple
casements?

If you are talking vinyl replacement in a double casment, be aware
that the mullion (the vertical "post" in between the 2 sections) is
going to be close to 6" wide, since it is made up of the sash for both
panes as well as the locking post. This will obstruct a lot of the
viewing area. It's much bigger than the mullion on wooden double
casements and wooden or vinyl sliders.

I assume you know that you have other options also, such as awnings
and sliders.

I'm about to replace the double casement over the kitchen sink with a
vinyl slider since the window is fairly small and the mullion on a
slider is the same width as a double hung, just vertical. It won't
obstruct any more view than the existing casement. The shape of the
opening - within an inch of square - would make a double hung look
funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 31, 8:49*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

This reminds me of something that I always thought about when I was
installing my windows last year.

Plumb, Level, and *Square*

If the top and the bottom of the window are level, and both sides are
plumb, how can the window not be square?

Sure, I always took the diagonal measurements, but I never really saw
the point. With the top and bottom level and both sides plumb, the
diagonal measurements have to be equal.

If one side or either the top or bottom of the window was longer than
it's opposing side, then your level would never show level and/or
plumb all the way around, so there would be no point in checking for
square.

What could cause a window that was level and plumb to be out of square?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What could cause a window that was level and plumb to be out of square?

I think it's more of a cross-check and verify thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy89 wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

Horizontal slider - best of both worlds.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

camryguy89 wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

Horizontal slider - best of both worlds.

Jon

Agreed. I was always partial to double-hungs, never liked casement. The
newly remodeled place that the chick and I just bought has some good
quality sliders, and I really like them. They're a far cry from those
last-century trailer-quality aluminum single-pane sliders that we all
used to snicker at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From a design aspect, I find casements often look a bit out of place
in more traditional style homes. But that's personal preference.

You can't as easily use a window air conditioner or window fan with
casements.

HTH,

Paul F.

I agree with Paul on casements giving a better seal. Winter heat loss
is a big issue in my house that has tones of double hung windows with
really poor seals. I wish I had casements in more places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From a design aspect, I find casements often look a bit out of place
in more traditional style homes. But that's personal preference.

You can't as easily use a window air conditioner or window fan with
casements.

HTH,

Paul F.

I agree with Paul on casements giving a better seal. Winter heat loss
is a big issue in my house that has tones of double hung windows with
really poor seals. I wish I had casements in more places.

One point I forgot in my original reply: Modern tilt-in double hungs
are a breeze to clean, especially on upper stories. At least one
manufacturer is now making casements that can tilt in for cleaning; I
imagine more will follow.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

camryguy89 wrote:
[...]

I've had casements and double hung and prefer the new vinyle double hung
windows we have now...The tilt outs were always getting covered with dust
and the water running off the roof splashed off them...A PITA in high wind
as well..They jump the **** out of you when the wind slams them shut ,
especially at night when sleeping...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows.

Lets see..60 YO home..Hmm

Figure the windows & doors might add up to 10% of the square footage of all
the exterior walls.
That leaves the 90 % which is exterior walls. Then there is the attic
insulation (or lack of)..

I'd do a lot more thinking on how to reinsulate the 90% to try and get
somewhere near an acceptable (by todays standards) package before I'd spend
a lot of time (and money) worrying about 'cosmetic' fixes [since there
are already TWO 'layers' of windows right now]

It may be that the attic has been re-insulated to R40 ..MAYBE the walls have
been done also..I hope so or there's a lot more to worry about than
windows..

Posted to alt.home.repair

The crank out windows at my parents house. About half of
them, the crank gears were stripped. Also nearly impossible
to mount a window AC. I'd want double hung.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

I've had casements and double hung and prefer the new
vinyle double hung
windows we have now...The tilt outs were always getting
covered with dust
and the water running off the roof splashed off them...A
PITA in high wind
as well..They jump the **** out of you when the wind slams
them shut ,
especially at night when sleeping...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 12:44*am, "Rudy" wrote:
[...]

True, but it's not just cosmetics, there's also the convenience to
consider.

We had central air put in 2 years prior to replacing the widows - wood
double-hungs with aluminum triple-track storms.

It was such a pain to deal with the screens and storms that we'd often
leave the AC on when it wasn't needed (e.g. cool nights) or not turn
it on when it was. Some of the windows are hard to reach (e.g. behind
a computer desk) and operating the screens/storms required 2 hands. A
real PITA. Most of the time, the wife and kids wouldn't even consider
going through the house "resetting" all the windows. Sometimes even I
didn't want to.

Now that I've replaced the windows, all it takes is one hand to raise
and lower them and we can take advantage of cool nights (like last
night - low 60's) but get the AC back on before the 80 degree day
heats up the house.

Double hung window repair hank Home Repair 8 January 6th 09 09:11 PM
Double hung window Identification TH Home Repair 0 July 28th 07 03:34 PM
R9 argon gas double hung windows Boothbay Home Repair 8 May 13th 06 04:59 PM
what is double hung? JimL Home Repair 13 May 9th 05 03:26 AM
maximum width of top hung upvc casement window without a centre support Sean UK diy 1 July 10th 04 05:42 PM