Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default casement or double hung?

On Jul 31, 12:13*am, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:51:18 -0700 (PDT), camryguy89

wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

My $.02

Casements can provide better ventilation, since the whole area can
open and the glass can catch a crossing breeze. *It can also block a
crossing breeze, so if you can, *orient per prevailing winds.

Casements can provide a better view..no middle frame members in the
way.

I believe, over time, casements seal better. *A good lasting seal is
IMO easier to obtain/maintain *with a compression seal than a sliding
seal. *Plus, the area to be sealed is less with a casement; no center
bar, which is particularly hard to seal well.

Casements can be an obstruction hazard when they open into/over active
space, such as a deck.

The casement mechanism can be a weak spot, but so can the spring
balances often used in DH. *In high quality windows, neither should be
an issue, provided you take time periodically to do preventive
maintenance. *There is more PM on casements, since the hinges and
locks and the mechansim have to be cleaned and lubed periodically.
Plus the outside pane is often exposed more to the sun since it sticks
out when open. *Again, not usually and issue with high quality
windows.

From a design aspect, I find casements often look a bit out of place
in more traditional style homes. But that's personal preference.

You can't as easily use a window air conditioner or window fan with
casements.

HTH,

Paul F.

I agree with Paul on casements giving a better seal. Winter heat loss
is a big issue in my house that has tones of double hung windows with
really poor seals. I wish I had casements in more places.