Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default casement or double hung?

On Jul 30, 9:51*pm, camryguy89 wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows. The
existing windows are old wooden sliders with aluminum storm windows
outside. They aren't very efficient and are ugly from both the inside
and outside. My Question is this...Which should I buy, casement
windows or Double hung? I like the look of casements, but I have heard
in the past that they can give you problems, (mechanically) later on.
At the same time, I'm not a huge fan of double hung windows, but less
parts mean less wear which means better overall lifespan. Is this true
or just a myth. feel free to comment.

Good casements wont be an issue, cheap anything can be. The installer
is critical as 1/8" out of plumb, level, square voids most warrantys.
www.energystar.gov has good starting info. Get what looks best with
your homes style, casements do allow more air when open and do seal
better for high wind areas, but you must compare performance data to
know what you are buying, dont listen to salesman.