Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default casement or double hung?

On Aug 1, 12:44*am, "Rudy" wrote:
Hi, I am purchasing a property in Nova Scotia, (Hot Summers, Cold
Winters). The property is approx. 60 years old and has had some
upgrades done over the past number of years. However, one thing that
has never been done to the house was the addition of new windows.

Lets see..60 YO home..Hmm

Figure the windows & doors might add up to 10% of the square footage of all
the exterior walls.
That leaves the 90 % which is exterior walls. *Then there is the attic
insulation (or lack of)..

I'd do a lot more thinking on how to reinsulate the 90% to try and get
somewhere near an acceptable (by todays standards) package before I'd spend
a lot of time (and money) worrying about *'cosmetic' fixes * [since there
are already TWO 'layers' of windows right now]

It may be that the attic has been re-insulated to R40 ..MAYBE the walls have
been done also..I hope so or there's a lot more to worry about than
windows..

[since there are already TWO 'layers' of windows right now]

True, but it's not just cosmetics, there's also the convenience to
consider.

We had central air put in 2 years prior to replacing the widows - wood
double-hungs with aluminum triple-track storms.

It was such a pain to deal with the screens and storms that we'd often
leave the AC on when it wasn't needed (e.g. cool nights) or not turn
it on when it was. Some of the windows are hard to reach (e.g. behind
a computer desk) and operating the screens/storms required 2 hands. A
real PITA. Most of the time, the wife and kids wouldn't even consider
going through the house "resetting" all the windows. Sometimes even I
didn't want to.

Now that I've replaced the windows, all it takes is one hand to raise
and lower them and we can take advantage of cool nights (like last
night - low 60's) but get the AC back on before the 80 degree day
heats up the house.