JimL

Default what is double hung?

single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

Edwin Pawlowski

"JimL" wrote in message
single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

Single hung has a fixed glass panel on the top, double they both go up and
down.

The Real Tom

On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:49:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
.. .
single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

Single hung has a fixed glass panel on the top, double they both go up and
down.

When I saw the original post, I thought to myself, "oh boy, I can
imagine the responses"

Good to see you helped the OP.

later,

tom
lucy

Well shucks.. now Tom ruined it for me grin
But, I will still add my two cents.
Q. What is double hung?
A. Mr. Right
haha
lucy

"The Real Tom" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 May 2005 21:49:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
.. .
single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

Single hung has a fixed glass panel on the top, double they both go up

and
down.

When I saw the original post, I thought to myself, "oh boy, I can
imagine the responses"

Good to see you helped the OP.

later,

tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"The Real Tom" wrote in message

When I saw the original post, I thought to myself, "oh boy, I can
imagine the responses"

Good to see you helped the OP.

Well, it did cross my mind.

PhotoMan

"lucy" wrote in message
Well shucks.. now Tom ruined it for me grin
But, I will still add my two cents.
Q. What is double hung?
A. Mr. Right
haha

I thought size didn't matter. :-)

PrecisionMachinisT

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
.. .

"lucy" wrote in message
Well shucks.. now Tom ruined it for me grin
But, I will still add my two cents.
Q. What is double hung?
A. Mr. Right
haha

I thought size didn't matter. :-)

Never had a woman complain that yours is too large then, eh ???

--

SVL

Gideon

Jim,

"Double hung" windows have two movable sashes. Each sash
moves vertically, traveling in its own track. For this reason, the
units are also referred to as "double track" windows. Both sashes
travel independent of one another and both should travel the entire
vertical length of the frame.

Generally, a single hung window will look very much like a
double hung window, but the top sash is stationary and just
the lower sash moves up and down.

It should be noted that many, many double hung windows are
accidentally "converted" into single hung units by inexperienced
amateur painters who paint the upper sashes shut. The previous
owners of my house did that to every window in the house.

If you have double hung windows which have been painted shut
on both the inside and the outside, figure on taking about one
hour per window to free the upper sash without damaging the sash,
the frame or the glass. Some spot priming and painting may
be necessary also. Small first floor windows may go quicker;
large and/or second floor windows may take longer, especially
if you keep dropping tools while up on the ladder.

Gideon

================

JimL wrote in message ...
single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

JimL

I would see two windows joined together and assumed that was a double
hung window but they were often single hung.. Now I know.

What's a good trick to painting so you don't stick the windows shut?

On Sun, 08 May 2005 10:55:16 GMT, "Gideon" wrote:

[...]

JimL wrote in message ...
single hung vs double hung....

Please explain.

that what she called me.......lucas

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in

that what she called me.......lucas

Yeah! If you were triple hung, then your pants would fit you like a
glove......

Gideon

JimL wrote:
What's a good trick to painting so you don't stick the windows shut?

=====================

1) Leave both sashes slightly open (1" or so) so that you
only have sticking concerns on the vertical sides of the sashes.

2) Avoid slopping too much paint where the sashes met the frames.

3) Move the sashes up and down a few times while the paint is
drying to break any bonding between sashes and frame.

This has worked for me. If you need to remove the sashes for any
repairs such as sash cord replacements, then obviously you should
paint while the sashes are out. Speaking of sash cords, avoid getting
any paint on them. It shortens the life of the cords.

I'm certain that there are pamphlets at hardware stores and paint
stores which give a pretty thorough description of the correct painting
techniques and the proper sequence of steps for painting the windows.

Good luck,
Gideon

window comparison regular double hung vs tilted sashes patliz1 Home Repair 3 February 11th 05 01:00 AM
Replacing 1/16 glass in double hung wood windows cjra Home Repair 9 January 21st 05 12:13 AM
Seeking Double Hung Window Grille Clips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 1 September 4th 04 04:44 PM
Old Double Hung Windows w/Insulated Glass Art Stewart Home Ownership 2 April 16th 04 05:18 PM
Where can I get replacement sashes for old wood double hung windows? The Chairman Home Repair 1 April 16th 04 11:44 AM