Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bath's pedestal sink

I remodeled my small half-bath. I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

Is that true? I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Maria
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Othermails_08" wrote in message
I remodeled my small half-bath. I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

Is that true? I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

If you already have brackets, why won't they work? Do they not fit the sink?
Get a straight answer from him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 1:13*pm, "h" wrote:
"Othermails_08" wrote in message

I remodeled my small half-bath. *I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). *He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

Is that true? *I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

If you already have brackets, why won't they work? Do they not fit the sink?
Get a straight answer from him.

There are a number of different brackets to fasten pedistal sinks to
the walls. Normally they do come with the sink. Any chance you could
Otherwise you either have to get one or fabricate one. The plumber is
not so likely to fabricate one though he might have others left over
that could be altered to work. You might need a more generalize home
handyman instead of a plumber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2009 8:59 AM Othermails_08 spake thus:

I remodeled my small half-bath. I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

I'm confused: first you say the sink doesn't have a set of brackets, but
then you say the plumber can't use "the ones I have". Which is it?

Is that true? I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

If you really do not have brackets, you should be able to get a set that
will work at any good plumbing supply house (*not* a "home improvement
center" or similar big-box retailer). Tell them what kind of sink it is,
or, better yet, bring it in. I had exactly the same problem some time
ago and bought a set of brackets from a local supply place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 24, 11:59*am, Othermails_08 wrote:
I remodeled my small half-bath. *I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). *He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

Is that true? *I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Maria

Based on a sample of two in my experience, it's true that different
sinks have different brackets; however it was also true that it's not
so super high tech that a little surgery on the bracket couldn't adapt
it, or in worst cases a new bracket could be fabricated out of generic
hardware. it helps if you don't have small kids who will at some point
climb onto the sink and jump up and down until it shears off the wall
like cheese in a slicer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Othermails_08 wrote:
I remodeled my small half-bath. I received a hand-me-down pedestal
sink (still in a very good condition) so I'm planning to have it
installed.

The plumber told me the sink doesn't have a set of "brackets" to tie
the sink to the wall (the sink will sit on top of its stand). He said
each sink comes with is "unique" brackets and I need to get a new set
of sink/stand because he can't use the ones I have.

Is that true? I don't want to spend over one hundred of dollars to
get a new sink/stand if I can only spend few dollars for the hardware
to tie the sink to the wall.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Take the sink to a good plumbing supply store for brackets. Then mumble, sweat,
and curse while you try to get everything to hold tight while aligned properly.
I had to modify the bracket I found to work better with my sink.

Sink/pedestal fit? A.Lee UK diy 7 December 21st 07 02:10 PM
Pedestal Sink Insdallation Ultraglide Home Repair 4 November 14th 07 10:52 PM
Toilet sink / pedestal Steven Campbell UK diy 7 October 13th 05 08:34 PM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Repair 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Ownership 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM