Steven Campbell

Default Toilet sink / pedestal

I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.
It is about 10 years old. I want to replace it with something similar but as
cheap as possible.
The pedestal is fine. If I replace the sink will I have to get a pedestal
that matches (fits) or will most pedestals fit any old sink?

At a guess I'd reckon all pedestals will be unique to each sink but
hopefully I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Set Square

Steven Campbell no@thanx wrote:

I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.
It is about 10 years old. I want to replace it with something similar
but as cheap as possible.
The pedestal is fine. If I replace the sink will I have to get a
pedestal that matches (fits) or will most pedestals fit any old sink?

At a guess I'd reckon all pedestals will be unique to each sink but
hopefully I'm wrong.

Cheers.

They're usually sold as a pair. There are many variations in pedestal
design - with different shapes and amounts of flare at the top - often with
an appropriate indentation in the base of the basin to fit over the
pedestal.

You *may* be lucky, and get a basin which fits your pedestal - but I
wouldn't bank on it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster

Set Square wrote:
Steven Campbell no@thanx wrote:

I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.
It is about 10 years old. I want to replace it with something similar
but as cheap as possible.
The pedestal is fine. If I replace the sink will I have to get a
pedestal that matches (fits) or will most pedestals fit any old sink?

At a guess I'd reckon all pedestals will be unique to each sink but
hopefully I'm wrong.

They're usually sold as a pair. There are many variations in pedestal
design - with different shapes and amounts of flare at the top - often with
an appropriate indentation in the base of the basin to fit over the
pedestal.

You *may* be lucky, and get a basin which fits your pedestal - but I
wouldn't bank on it.

I'd go as far as saying that any basin designed for use with a pedestal
(some aren't) will always be sold with a matching pedestal. Best you
could hope for is to buy a pair where the basin matched your pedestal,
then bin the new pedestal... but then why bother, why not just fit the
new pedestal anyway?! The only issue I suppose would be if your floor
covering is cut *around* the existing pedestal - you'd need to replace
that too...

David
Chris Bacon

Steven Campbell wrote:
I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.

A "toilet sink". WTF is *that*?
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.

A "toilet sink". WTF is *that*?

One which is combined i.e you crap then wash. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The Natural Philosopher

Set Square wrote:

Steven Campbell no@thanx wrote:

I've just smashed my toilet sink by accident.
It is about 10 years old. I want to replace it with something similar
but as cheap as possible.
The pedestal is fine. If I replace the sink will I have to get a
pedestal that matches (fits) or will most pedestals fit any old sink?

At a guess I'd reckon all pedestals will be unique to each sink but
hopefully I'm wrong.

Cheers.

They're usually sold as a pair. There are many variations in pedestal
design - with different shapes and amounts of flare at the top - often with
an appropriate indentation in the base of the basin to fit over the
pedestal.

You *may* be lucky, and get a basin which fits your pedestal - but I
wouldn't bank on it.

Try local tips. Often possible to find bits that fit.

Buta new pedestal and basin is not hugely expensive.
Steven Campbell

Set Square wrote:

[...]

Managed to find the exact sink in Homebase. Only problem being that they
don't stock any bathroom / kitchen units so would have to wait 4 - 6 weeks
for delivery. Shocking!!

Ended up buying a "sink to go" that comes complete with a pedestal from B&Q
for £45.

Thanks for the replies.