Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing aluminum to glass

On Jul 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

Stainless Steel is not aluminum.- Hide quoted text -

Can you decode for me what you meant in declaring that stainless is
not aluminum?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 12:19*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:12:23 -0700 (PDT), mike

wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

Stainless Steel is not aluminum.- Hide quoted text -

Can you decode for me what you meant in declaring that stainless is
not aluminum?

Did you go to the link I provided? It lists all the materials that are
acceptable for containing acetic acid. I think you should go now and
read the whole document.

After reading it myself, I concluded that you must think stainless
steel is aluminum.

Although this document does not mention it, acetic acid is also
sometimes stored in mild steel tanks - WITH A RUBBER LINER.

Just because one material is listed, it does not therefore exclude
other materials. If you read the link I listed earlier:

http://tinyurl.com/kmcqkl

....you'd see that it says that welded aluminum tanks are used, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 2:46*pm, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 22, 2:22*pm, wrote:

Silicone sealant is a lousy adhesive. The OP is looking for an
adhesive/sealant, not just a sealant. He has already tried something
that didn't hold well in this application. It is for a "client", so
I'm basing my advice on the theory that he wants to only do this once,
and get it right.

Wait a minute - just a second ago you were arguing that 5200 was a bad
choice as it was permanent. *Arguments go a lot smoother if you pick a
side and stick to it! *

This subject may be too complicated for you. Maybe you should wait
until something simpler comes along.

Gluing aluminum to glass is complicated...? I don't think so. I was
kind of hoping that you would ask me the question about working on
boats and my experience, but you didn't. Playing favorites I
guess. ~

I'm of the opinion that if it says 3M on the package, it's good
stuff. You stated, unequivocally, that silicone is a lousy adhesive.
What about 3M Marine Grade Silicone Sealant do you not like for the
OP's application?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

Stainless Steel is not aluminum.- Hide quoted text -

Can you decode for me what you meant in declaring that stainless is
not aluminum?

Did you go to the link I provided? It lists all the materials that are
acceptable for containing acetic acid. I think you should go now and
read the whole document.

After reading it myself, I concluded that you must think stainless
steel is aluminum.

Although this document does not mention it, acetic acid is also
sometimes stored in mild steel tanks - WITH A RUBBER LINER.

Just because one material is listed, it does not therefore exclude
other materials. If you read the link I listed earlier:

http://tinyurl.com/kmcqkl

...you'd see that it says that welded aluminum tanks are used, too.

But, as it states, aluminum tanks have the drawback of less resistance
to CORROSION.

That article is also specific to storage tanks, not tank trucks, where
environmental conditions are much harder to control. It also mentions
aluminum only as suitable with specific acids, none of which are
acetic acid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jul 22, 2:46*pm, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 22, 2:22*pm, wrote:

[...]

The OP has already unsuccessfully bonded these two pieces of a shower
for a client. Saying 3M on tha package is a good start, but 3M makes
an awful lot of products because they know that one size does not fit
all. A good craftsman knows his tools. What I don't like about 3M
marine grade silicone sealant for the OP's application is that
Silicone is a very weak adhesive. It is really more of a filler for
bedding hardware, with enough adhesive properties to make a fairly
good seal. It's not intended to bond things together in a structural
sense, which is what is required for the OP's application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:38*am, wrote:

[...]

acetic acid.- Hide quoted text -

How did trucks get thrown in? *sigh* The book says it's OK for
organic acids, of which acetic acid qualifies. I think I'm done with
the dead-end tangent that you keep filling with non-sequiturs. If
you want more specifics see chart 9 on the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/lqxunl

But none of this is any interest to the OP, since there are no acids
involved with the Silicone II you find at the local borg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an aluminum
strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the bottom
of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out of
aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to
hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give
it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

It didn't hold. I need to reglue the strip. What do y'all suggest?

The stuff I'm thinking about is that special goop used to stick rear-view
mirrors to windshields. Amazing ****. I put such a mirror on my van, and
the stuff sticks like crazy. It comes in really little packages; wonder if
you can get a bigger tube of it?

The "kit" that stuff is sold in cost $2+ to hold about one square inch of
material to your windshield.

Or epoxy?

If you have a "soft setting" epoxy, that might work about as well as the
well cured silicone RTV stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:30:56 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an aluminum
strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the bottom
of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out of
aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to
hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give
it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

The silicone used for aquariums is specially formulated for that task.
Regular silicone will kill the fish

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...
Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an
aluminum
strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the
bottom
of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out of
aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to
hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give
it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

The silicone used for aquariums is specially formulated for that task.
Regular silicone will kill the fish

the silicone used for aquariums is identical to that sold for caulking minus
the mildewicides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:45:46 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
ers.com...
Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an
aluminum
strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the
bottom
of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out of
aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to
hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give
it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

The silicone used for aquariums is specially formulated for that task.
Regular silicone will kill the fish

the silicone used for aquariums is identical to that sold for caulking minus
the mildewicides.

That sounds like "special" to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thistothat.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2009 7:45 AM Zz Yzx spake thus:

http://www.thistothat.com/

Sorry, not even close.

I notice that links to this site come up often when questions of what
glue to use to glue X to Y are raised. But it's just not a very good web
site.

Pity; you'd think a site called "This to That" would be a valuable
resource to answer such questions. But I'd say it's like a Reader's
Digest of this kind of information, meaning most of what's there is very
common knowledge with little depth. A lot of it falls into the "Duh!"
category.

This is their answer to what to use to glue metal to glass:

Metal to Glass
For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If appearance isn't much of a concern, try:

J-B Weld

Maybe you are gluing a rear view mirror.

Whenever you are gluing glass you must consider the visibility of the
adhesive. If the glass is translucent or transparent, you will want a
glue that dries as clear as possible.

Whenever you are gluing metal it's a good idea to clean it first with
steel wool or sandpaper. (Rust never sleeps.)

Before gluing any glass bond be sure that the glass is clean, free of
any oil (even from your fingers) and dry.

Notice there's no mention of silicone adhesives, nor of the problems
with different rates of expansion in gluing these materials.

Not very useful. Sorry.