Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Gluing aluminum to glass

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:45:46 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:30:56 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
ers.com...
Got a question regarding an upcoming repair job: how to adhere an
aluminum
strip to glass.

Client has a glass shower that had a metal channel attached to the
bottom
of the door (glass) that had come off. I made a new channel out of
aluminum angle and glued it on using [something I picked up at the
hardware sto don't remember exactly what].

RTV "silicon" rubber sealer works pretty well with glass. It's used to
hold together glass aquariums up to a pretty good size. You have to give
it time to cure but it is plenty strong.

The silicone used for aquariums is specially formulated for that task.
Regular silicone will kill the fish

the silicone used for aquariums is identical to that sold for caulking minus
the mildewicides.

That sounds like "special" to me.