Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Gluing aluminum to glass

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan" writes:

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

I think what you are looking for is the glue they use for attach mirrors
to windshields. Try an auto parts store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Try the Locktite rear view mirror adhesive available at auto parts
stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

Dan wrote:

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at
threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off.
Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue
that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Try the Locktite rear view mirror adhesive available at auto parts
stores.

If you do it right (clean glass proper fit) the glass will break before
the bond. BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. You can find that
outside (Sun Light)

Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 5:30*pm, "Dan" wrote:
I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. *Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. *Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

I have used 2-part epoxy to attach acrylic to aluminum. Since it's for
a computer desk, I don't think I would want a leg to fail, so I'd make
sure whatever I used was going to hold.

I use West Systems epoxy for anything that matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a glue that might work in this application?

Try www.thistothat.com

Results:

LocTite Impruv
JB Weld (ir appearance is NOT important)

It's a good site. Disclaimers apply.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

Locktite mirror adhesive is a pretty pricey fix. You'll probably need
several packages. I think 3M urethane windhshield adhesive might do
the trick, although I'm not sure if the glass has to have a primer
coat first.

How about calling the desk manufacturer and having them send you some
adhesive?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:30:26 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:
I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

Thanks

Dan

Hi,
Maybe a glue used for attaching the rear view mirror to windwhield?
Auto parts tore sells it in a little tube.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"Dan" writes:

I'm trying to repair a computer desk which has the legs attached at threaded
aluminum disks glued to plate glass, several of which have come off. Tried
double sided carpet tape, but it's not strong enough. Is there a glue that
might work in this application?

I think what you are looking for is the glue they use for attach mirrors
to windshields. Try an auto parts store.

Take a look at CR Laurence. They won't sell to individuals but once you
identify the adhesive you need any good glass supplier can order it.
Also, e-Bay may have a listing.

Boden

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/sites...query=adhesive
Posted to alt.home.repair

One word: SUPERGLUE.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 11, 11:41 pm, Rick-Meister wrote:
Locktite mirror adhesive is a pretty pricey fix. You'll probably need
several packages.

Correct and if not used properly, it will cost even more money for do
overs. The OP would be better off of buying a kit from an auto glass
repair shop or elsewhere, but that is the best choice.

I think 3M urethane windhshield adhesive might do
the trick, although I'm not sure if the glass has to have a primer
coat first.

If it isn't primerless urethane, then yes, you HAVE to use the correct
primer(s) or it will just peel right off. Also windshield urethane
doesn't come off of your hands w/o urethane hand cleaner. And, if you
get it on your clothes or carpet it's not coming out, period! I would
advise the OP the stay far away from that type of urethane. It's like
a magnet when it comes to accidentally getting on things it shouldn't!

If you can't get a Loctite rearview mirror repair kit (a big one not
the one shot deal from an auto parts store) I would suggest
clear GE silicone II which can be bought at Home Depot and Lowes.

This is the kind of kit that I'm talking about. Be sure to clean both
surfaces (especially the aluminum parts) VERY well with a single edge
razor blade)

http://tinyurl.com/3lc9bs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.. .

Dan wrote:

[...]

None do. Actually, UV rays break down the glue. That is why they
started putting a black ceramic oval on the windshield where the
mirror attaches.

I believe Meehan must of had a stone chip repaired once. The resin
used in that process does require a UV light (or sun) to cure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Thanks for the replies. I bought a couple tubes of Permatex rear view
mirror adhesive, about 6 bucks total, and will give it a try. I'll post
back with the results.

Thanks again

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

... BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. ...

Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.

None do. ...

Well, that's not _quite_ so...

http://www.dymax.com/products/automo...nd_mirrors.php

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:

--

Never heard of it. I stand corrected. But for a simple project like
the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

... BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. ...
Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
None do. ...

Well, that's not _quite_ so...

http://www.dymax.com/products/automo...nd_mirrors.php

... But for a simple project like
the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.

Different question...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 1:57 pm, "Dan" wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I bought a couple tubes of Permatex rear view
mirror adhesive, about 6 bucks total, and will give it a try. I'll post
back with the results.

Thanks again

Dan

Make sure to clean and prime correctly (very important!) and only use
about four-five drops of glue per aluminum part.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 2:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
... BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. ...
Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
None do. ...
Well, that's not _quite_ so...

http://www.dymax.com/products/automo...nd_mirrors.php

... But for a simple project like
the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.

Different question...

--

Trust me, no autoglass installer is using that "complex" system
just to re-glue a rearview mirror.

And there is no telling what the cost is. A large Locktite
rearview mirror adhesive kit costs about $10.00 and last
for yrs.

Looks like something more suited for glazing if you needed
to attach a long strip of metal to plate glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 2:55 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite

adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.

None do. Actually, UV rays break down the glue. That is why they
started putting a black ceramic oval on the windshield where the
mirror attaches.

I believe Meehan must of had a stone chip repaired once. The resin
used in that process does require a UV light (or sun) to cure.

No it was replacing the catch on a 1970 Beetle about 1975. The adhesive
had to be applied in the sun or a UV lamp used to cure it. As it turned out
I was slightly off position and the first time I tried to close it, it took
a little more force than it should have and it ripped off taking chunks of
glass with it leaving the window with a divot. I bought a new glass and
this time it worked. I had the car for about 14 more years, it held up
well.

Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

On the vent glass? I know that Rabbits had those (latches and hinges
glued to the glass - dumb idea) but I don't recall the Bugs having
them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
... BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. ...
Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
None do. ...
Well, that's not _quite_ so...
http://www.dymax.com/products/automo...nd_mirrors.php

... But for a simple project like
the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.

Different question...

--

Trust me, no autoglass installer is using that "complex" system
just to re-glue a rearview mirror.

Unaware I made any statement other than that there are more than none
uv-curing products for window/mirrors on the market...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 3:07 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
... BTW as I recall it needs UV light to cure. ...
Some versions may, but I had one RV mirror reattached using the Locktite
adhesive and as I recall it had a catalyst and it only required holding
the mirror in place for about 15 seconds before it could take full load.
None do. ...
Well, that's not _quite_ so...
http://www.dymax.com/products/automo...nd_mirrors.php

... But for a simple project like
the OP has, Locktite rearview mirror adhesive is the way to go.
Different question...

--

Trust me, no autoglass installer is using that "complex" system
just to re-glue a rearview mirror.

Unaware I made any statement other than that there are more than none
uv-curing products for window/mirrors on the market...

--

And I said I wrong, what more do you want?

I was just pointing out something sheesh
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 3:07 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

As did I...double sheesh!

I didn't (and don't) "want" anything at all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/12/2008 4:13 PM dpb said the following:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 3:07 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:24 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:00 pm, dpb wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:21 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

I envy you. I want a lot of things.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 4:18 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

[...]

You know it may have been my Rabbit, which would have been a couple of
years later.

--
Joseph Meehan

The earlier Rabbits had a pivot glued to the bottom edge of the vent
glass, a hinge glued to the front edge, and a latch glued to rear
corner.

They were notorious for becoming unglued, and in a lot of cases
the glass ended up as roadkill.

On the later models they did away with the movable vent and starting
using a stationary one.