Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF Oscillating Multi-Function Tool

Actually got to use it today for a classic rot application - replace bottom
couple of feet of brick molding at garage. Personally, I'd just replace the
entire length but it was for someone el$queeke.

It worked awesome. Nice clean straight cut in no time. The fact that it's
only single speed was not an issue this time. And as mentioned, the case
head get very warm very quick. Not sure I'd like to be using this for long
periods.

Can't wait till it craps out...so I can justify a Fein :-)

Suggestion, if you're not gonna get one of the better ones in the $150+
range, get one of these. A few uses will make you glad you spent the $35
(with HF coupon) or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Actually got to use it today for a classic rot application - replace
bottom couple of feet of brick molding at garage. Personally, I'd
just replace the entire length but it was for someone el$queeke.

It worked awesome. Nice clean straight cut in no time. The fact that
it's only single speed was not an issue this time. And as mentioned,
the case head get very warm very quick. Not sure I'd like to be using
this for long periods.

Can't wait till it craps out...so I can justify a Fein :-)

Suggestion, if you're not gonna get one of the better ones in the
$150+ range, get one of these. A few uses will make you glad you
spent the $35 (with HF coupon) or so.

Glad you like it.

I've really stressed mine - and you're right: the case does get warm. But
never hot. It gets up to the toasty level and stays there.

If you've got a rotary Dremel, you can "resharpen" your worn down blades.
Just cut as many 1/16" deep slots in the blade face as you can manage and
you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Well, it's HF. So I figure when the blade gets dull I can just manually
hammer on the back while running it. Kinda like a hammer drill...sorta
:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 20, 9:12*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

Can't wait till it craps out...so I can justify a Fein :-)

snip

Why bother? I've got 25+ hours on mine doing the scraper thing and it
still honks right along. When it quits (if it does) I'll probably buy
another one.
Used it on a 12' x 16' kitchen floor with linoleum, plywood, asphalt
felt, more linoleum, more asphalt felt and it was slow going but took
it down to the subfloor planks. Took off the final asphalt residue
with a Bosch power planer. The planer spit out a kind of fluff
consisting of asphalt and wood fiber that was easy to sweep up. There
have been posts in this NG moaning and groaning about asphalt, but
this old stuff came up pretty clean.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Joe wrote in news:fbb0d9ca-20c7-47aa-8695-
:

On Jul 20, 9:12 pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

Can't wait till it craps out...so I can justify a Fein :-)

snip

Why bother? I've got 25+ hours on mine doing the scraper thing and it
still honks right along. When it quits (if it does) I'll probably buy
another one.
Used it on a 12' x 16' kitchen floor with linoleum, plywood, asphalt
felt, more linoleum, more asphalt felt and it was slow going but took
it down to the subfloor planks. Took off the final asphalt residue
with a Bosch power planer. The planer spit out a kind of fluff
consisting of asphalt and wood fiber that was easy to sweep up.
There have been posts in this NG moaning and groaning about asphalt,
but this old stuff came up pretty clean.

Joe

Blades Joe. The HF's are only for wood I think/assumed and the wood
ones are said to be junk. New set of HF econo blades only $6 but
metal cutting blade would be handy at times. Have had multiple
occasions cutting toilet bolts with recip saw. Sometimes it goes easy
and sometimes just can't get the saw in there right. I think there
was a comment once about Dremel blades fitting it?

The "wood-cutting" blade cuts metal. And bricks. And mortar. And grout. It
just dulls faster.

And yes, the Dremel blades fit the HF.

There are no pins in the HF mount to mate with blade holes. Have seen
comments about the blade repeatedly coming loose.

Easily overcome with a longer Allen wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Thanks HeyBub.

How about allen wrench socket in 18V Ridgid hammer drill:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

*******! Lowes only has the 3pks of the wood/metal blades for like 35$. Do
not have the single wood/metal blade. HD is available online only. WTF?

Yesterday wanted 5/4 lumber at Blue Borg. Don't stock. Ugh!

There are no pins in the HF mount to mate with blade holes. Have seen
comments about the blade repeatedly coming loose.

Easily overcome with a longer Allen wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

And yes, the Dremel blades fit the HF.

*******! Lowes only has the 3pks of the wood/metal blades for like
35$. Do not have the single wood/metal blade. HD is available online
only. WTF?

Hmm. You can get a single blade here, for $5.99 and they'll throw in two
scrapers for free.

Using your rotary Dremel, you can convert the two scrapers to cutting blades
my simply notching their business end. The result would be three blades for
six bucks.

Alternatively, for five dollars more than HD wants for three blades, you can
get an assortment of blades, some sandpaper, a spare Allen wrench, and the
tool itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 21, 6:45*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

The "wood-cutting" blade cuts metal. And bricks. And mortar. And grout. It
just dulls faster.

snip

Try the HF $6 diamond blade. Slightly smaller diameter than the half
round, but (so far) seems to be reasonably durable. HF would be smart
to offer a serious metal cutting blade along the lines of the Bosch
jigsaw, and Milwaukee SawzAll blades.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:45 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

The "wood-cutting" blade cuts metal. And bricks. And mortar. And
grout. It just dulls faster.

snip

Try the HF $6 diamond blade. Slightly smaller diameter than the half
round, but (so far) seems to be reasonably durable. HF would be smart
to offer a serious metal cutting blade along the lines of the Bosch
jigsaw, and Milwaukee SawzAll blades.

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is used on
an angle grinder?

I'm sure the latter would work...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Yesterday wanted 5/4 lumber at Blue Borg. Don't stock. Ugh!

That's what lumber yards are for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Red Green wrote:

Yesterday wanted 5/4 lumber at Blue Borg. Don't stock. Ugh!

That's what lumber yards are for.

Which, believe it or not, have disappeared completely from many smaller
cities.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 22, 11:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

Try the HF $6 diamond blade. Slightly smaller diameter than the half
round, but (so far) seems to be reasonably durable. HF would be smart
to offer a serious metal cutting blade along the lines of the Bosch
jigsaw, and Milwaukee SawzAll blades.

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is used on
an angle grinder?

snip

See HF 67264 $5.99. It is cataloged as for the multifunction tool and
does indeed fit just fine. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is
used on an angle grinder?

snip

See HF 67264 $5.99. It is cataloged as for the multifunction tool and
does indeed fit just fine. HTH

67264 is not online or is a discontinued item...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...7264&Submit=Go

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 3:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Joe wrote:

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is
used on an angle grinder?

snip

See HF 67264 $5.99. It is cataloged as for the multifunction tool and
does indeed fit just fine. HTH

67264 is not online or is a discontinued item...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=+672...

You might want to try that again, I had no problem finding it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:
On Jul 22, 3:32 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Joe wrote:

Got a link? Or are you referring to an ordinary wheel blade like is
used on an angle grinder?

snip

See HF 67264 $5.99. It is cataloged as for the multifunction tool
and does indeed fit just fine. HTH

67264 is not online or is a discontinued
item...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=+672...

You might want to try that again, I had no problem finding it.

Okay, thanks. My search was coming up with an artificial fern, but I think I
can figure it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 22, 3:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

67264 is not online or is a discontinued item...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=+672...

Latest HF catalog shows item 65983. Obviously my error; don't know
whether it was an old catalog or misread. This number works, though.

Joe