Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multi Function Test Meters

Has anyone tried or used one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...073/index.html

It seems remarkably cheap compared to many of the multi function meters.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:44:14 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Has anyone tried or used one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...073/index.html

It seems remarkably cheap compared to many of the multi function meters.

It's not that cheap actually, pretty much most of the manufacturers do
a multifunction tester for well under 500GBP.

http://www.isswww.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=5286
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

Has anyone tried or used one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...073/index.html

It seems remarkably cheap compared to many of the multi function meters.

It's not that cheap actually, pretty much most of the manufacturers do
a multifunction tester for well under 500GBP.

ok, well cheap compared to the likes of the Robin multi function boxes,
or a pile of separate testers.

http://www.isswww.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=5286

Oh, better still ;-)

I was toying with the idea of "upgrading" my collection of standalone
Megger testers to a combined device, since some of my current ones have
some limitations (the continuity/insulation resistance tester only does
low ohms to 0.1 ohm resolution, the RCD tester does not have a ramp test
or the timer duration for testing time delayed RCDs, and the loop tester
does not have a non RCD tripping mode, or ability to read PSC/PFC
directly).

This one intrigues me:

http://www.isswww.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=7067

What does the 17th edition introduce that will require tests not
currently supported on existing kit?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was toying with the idea of "upgrading" my collection of standalone
Megger testers to a combined device,

Do give us some feedback if you get one.

I'll be in the market for one in the longer term, but last time
borrowed a high-end 16th Ed tester (can't remember the brand) off a
mate and found the device ideal in every way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:28:59 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Lurch wrote:

[...]

The only thing that this box offers over a minimal sixteenth tester is RCD
trip current?

The OP should note that a minimum multi function 15th tester can be got
with calibration and VAT for just under 300.

Such a box won't have nice things like auto-null on continuity, DC
saturation of the RCD during loop testing etc. etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

[...]

I think that most of them have that as well though...? If you compare
this one with the 16th edition version:

http://www.isswww.co.uk/datasheets/Dilog/9073.pdf

the spec looks pretty similar

The OP should note that a minimum multi function 15th tester can be got
with calibration and VAT for just under 300.

I already have a pile of Megger beasties that meet 15th edition
requirements, nut as I mentioned the lack of things like not trip loop
test, and a high res low ohms range are annoying.

Such a box won't have nice things like auto-null on continuity, DC
saturation of the RCD during loop testing etc. etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

[...]

Hmm, as I'm about to buy a new multifunction tester in readiness for
the upcoming inevitable 'approvals body of my choice' registration I
suppose I'd better find out if there is actually a difference! I
noticed a while ago a few on eBay were selling stuff for 17th edition
but I put that down to pillocks talking ********.

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

[...]

Looks like you've been re revisited by the re re disease!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:17:13 +0100, Lurch wrote:

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.

So what are "Loop P-N and contact voltage on an RCD" when they're at home?

--
John Stumbles

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

Hmm, as I'm about to buy a new multifunction tester in readiness for
the upcoming inevitable 'approvals body of my choice' registration I

i.e. cheapest! ;-)

suppose I'd better find out if there is actually a difference! I
noticed a while ago a few on eBay were selling stuff for 17th edition
but I put that down to pillocks talking ********.

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.

Hmm, butt ugly, but nice amount of info on the LCD. The free calibration
drops the price in real terms quite a bit as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:47:03 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Lurch wrote:

Hmm, as I'm about to buy a new multifunction tester in readiness for
the upcoming inevitable 'approvals body of my choice' registration I

i.e. cheapest! ;-)

Probably NICEIC actually, saves all the explanations as to who the
others are when people request NIC certs.

suppose I'd better find out if there is actually a difference! I
noticed a while ago a few on eBay were selling stuff for 17th edition
but I put that down to pillocks talking ********.

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.

Hmm, butt ugly, but nice amount of info on the LCD. The free calibration
drops the price in real terms quite a bit as well.

Yeah, I' not too bothered about looks. Curently I've got a Seaward
SBS7671 and that looks a bit cheap and nasty tbh so anything is an
improvement. Got a couple of calls back with prices from other places
for that and one of the Kewtech ones and no-one can touch their
prices. The PAT tester I bought last year though I got a better price
on from CEF with one of their own branded MTE units.

The MI3000 doesn't look too different from the Fluke 1652 which most
people seem to be touting as the standard tester for stocking on the
shelves.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:57:35 GMT, John Stumbles
mused:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:17:13 +0100, Lurch wrote:

Currently looking at the Alphatek MI3000.

So what are "Loop P-N and contact voltage on an RCD" when they're at home?

Loop PN is phase and netral loop results. Other older testers do loop
on phase earth only. RCD contact voltage is something to do with, erm,
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:40:14 +0100, Lurch
mused:

Lurch wrote:

[...]

And also, the rechargeableness was another thing I wanted as my other
tester eats batteries.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

[...]

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot" mused:

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem, not
mine.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot" mused:

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem, not
mine.

Its a bit of both by the looks of it. You subject title is "
Multi Function Test Meters", however it threads correctly on my
newsreader.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:45:46 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot" mused:

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem, not
mine.

Its a bit of both by the looks of it. You subject title is "
Multi Function Test Meters", however it threads correctly on my
newsreader.

Yeah, that's what I meant, Agent threads the multiple replies in
the correct places in the correct threads here.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot"
mused:

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem,
not mine.

Its a bit of both by the looks of it. You subject title is "
Multi Function Test Meters", however it threads correctly on
my newsreader.

Yeah, that's what I meant, Agent threads the multiple replies in
the correct places in the correct threads here.

Yes, threading OK at this end. Just the multiple re's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:34:00 GMT, "clot" mused:

Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:57:13 GMT, "clot"
mused:

You have been reinfected, Lurch!

Works fine here. I think in the end I decided it was your problem,
not mine.

Its a bit of both by the looks of it. You subject title is "
Multi Function Test Meters", however it threads correctly on
my newsreader.

Yeah, that's what I meant, Agent threads the multiple replies in
the correct places in the correct threads here.

Yes, threading OK at this end. Just the multiple re's.

Then stop whining.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

[...]

Sorry I meant to say 16th tester . Mine's the bottom of the range Kewtech.